Taeguk Applications

Yeti

Black Belt
Reaction score
Anyone know of a book that demonstrates potential application of the Taeguk forms? I know there are some general form/hyung/kata interpretation books out there (75 Down Blocks by Rick Clark, Bunkai-Jutsu by Iain Abernathy, etc.), but was wondering if anyone knew of a Taeguk-specific book.

Altenatively, if anyone has read the above mentioned books, or others, what did you think of their applicability to TKD techniques?

Thanks.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
There are some very, very basic applications in the Kukkiwon's textbook.

I liken applications to layers on an onion-there are different levels of understanding of applications of the same technique or sequence of techniques.

Though I don't have those particular references you mentioned, there some general themes throughout the interpretation of applications. The first theme is that you are countering common attacks. Another is that each motion has meaning-including the stepping into a stance as well as the crossing of arms to do a "block." That "block" may be a "strike" or it could be an arm-bar, or a hair grab, etc....

Keep your mind open when you practice poomsae and you will see numerous applications.

Good luck in your training!

Miles

J

JanneM

There was an han bon kyorugi book in World championships. i didn't look it over so good so I cant tell if it was taegug applivations. I gues it would be.

You might wanna ask from MOOTO.

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Miles said:
There are some very, very basic applications in the Kukkiwon's textbook.
I would recommend this book also. The basic intent of both the taeguk and palgwe forms are covered. There is also a considerable amount of other information that you might find interesting. I still make references to it on a fairly regular basis.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
The paperback version is what I keep at my office. It is considerably abridged compared to the hardcover edition. The name is "Kuk-Ki Taekwondo Text Book", published by Oh Seoung Publishing Company. ISBN is 89-7336-738-2.

The hard cover edition has ISBN 89-7336-735-8. It comes with 2 videos with the poomsae demonstrated by GM LEE, Chong Kwan who taught the physical portion of the Kukkiwon Instructor Course.

Both editions are available through Best Martial Arts Supply of California-they advertise a lot in TKD Times-check the inside back cover of pretty much any month.

Miles

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Miles beat me to it, but the hard cover is the one I use.

J

Jim Tindell

the Kukkiwon website has applications for their forms, as well.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes, those are the very basic applications...the first layer on the onion, so to speak.

Miles

Latest Discussions