"Question Mark" Kick

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We still do it that way at my school. In fact, the first part of the move (where he brought his knee straight up) is the same whether we're doing a roundhouse (turning) kick, front kick, or side kick. That way your opponent doesn't know what's coming. So, to answer the original question, I would just call that a roundhouse kick.
Interesting. We have the same approach in NGA, except for the side kick. Now I need to go try that entry to a side kick.

OP
G

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
. Even Bisping can defend that. Joking. In fact, he was tagged!...
Would you believe that I caught him with a straightforward turning kick?

Attachments

• 20160423_184633[1].jpg
    20160423_184633[1].jpg
    879.5 KB · Views: 185

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not really. I teach students to chamber the same way, regardless of the kick (or as close as they can manage...). So this is just a roundhouse kick. The slide is just one of several methods taught to close distance if the target is outside of range. It's still a roundhouse.

Yup... How I learned it in the first place back int he 80's. Front, Side, Round all can happen from that single chamber position.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Right to the expert....

Rough Rider

Green Belt
Reaction score
And when did he start hanging the other belt off the side?

In season 4 ep1, Master Ken promoted himself to Red/White (although I think there's a bit of black in there, too). He also promoted every student except for Billy, who has been expecting a promotion to Black Belt for quite some time. In season 4 ep 4, Billy stole Master ken's old black belt (with 11 stripes BTW), and started his own school in the broom closet. This is the last show episode so far, but after that one, I notices Master Ken wearing the black belt on the side during his "extra content" videos, so I guess he took it back. He also started wearing the beret upon his self-promotion to Red/White.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In season 4 ep1, Master Ken promoted himself to Red/White (although I think there's a bit of black in there, too). He also promoted every student except for Billy, who has been expecting a promotion to Black Belt for quite some time. In season 4 ep 4, Billy stole Master ken's old black belt (with 11 stripes BTW), and started his own school in the broom closet. This is the last show episode so far, but after that one, I notices Master Ken wearing the black belt on the side during his "extra content" videos, so I guess he took it back. He also started wearing the beret upon his self-promotion to Red/White.
How often are you going to get an "informative" rating for a Master Ken post, eh?

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I saw the kick and though "uhm, interesting. I have to practice that kick more!"

Here's a short discussion. Question mark kick expert praises Holly Holm’s KO
Yup... How I learned it in the first place back int he 80's. Front, Side, Round all can happen from that single chamber position.

I also learned that in the mid-80s. So I was surprised to see what I thought was a reference to him being the originator of the kick. Did I read it wrong or has he been credited with inventing a kick from at least the mid-80s (and probably much older than that)?

Latest Discussions