Question about Japanese Shihan

savagek

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
If my eyes dont fail me that is Junichi Kan {may have the first name wrong sorry/ please excuse and correct if someone else knows}.

Ken Savage

OP
R

RoninX

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I hope this doesn´t sound rude, but i just watched the "hidden weapons video", and i realized that the bald guy in the video is Jyu-Ichi. OMFG! He looks sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo different from the Bojutsu Video! OMGGGGGGGGGGGG! He looks like 30 years older. Omg, i´m so shocked! If Hatsumi hadn´t said his name, i wouldn´t never find out that the Shihan from the video is actually Jyu-ICHI

Omg!

lost_in_translation

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
The shihan mentioned in the first post, and the "bald guy" you mention are completly different people.

lost_in_translation

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Jyu ichi can mean 11, and Juichi is a name, besides Kan Sensei's name is Junichi.
I train with Kan Sensei's sole student, Pol and have met him (Kan Sensei) a few times. Besides he has a full head of hair ;)

OP
R

RoninX

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Jyu ichi can mean 11, and Juichi is a name, besides Kan Sensei's name is Junichi.
I train with Kan Sensei's sole student, Pol and have met him (Kan Sensei) a few times. Besides he has a full head of hair ;)

Kan Sensei is one of the first Judan in Bujinkan, even before Noguchi, Oguri, Nagato and others.

And the bald guy, do you know him?

lost_in_translation

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Just becuase he is wearing the patch doesn't mean he got it before them ;)
Yes I do know "the bald guy".
If you have questions about Kan Shihan, I'm not really the man to answer them, you can try mailing Pol at the Bujinkan Na Fianna Dojo in Yamagata. He shuold be able to help you. Alternativly somee others on this board might.

OP
R

RoninX

Orange Belt
Reaction score
So, at the time it was normal to wear the judan patch without being a judan. Lol! Yeah, but it makes sense, because in one video he is wearing the judan patch with 4 or 5 stars on it, and the video is from 1994 + -

STEPS

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey RoninX,

Some people wear their rank, some don't. It doesn't matter either way. Particularly with the Japanese Shihan. I'm willing to bet those stars on Kan Sensei's gi were there for use with his Godan patch. Given the date and the freshness of the Judan patch, I'm betting he just got it around then. It's best not to jump to conclusions and state them as odd fact, though. Especially with trivial things.

Cheers!

OP
R

RoninX

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hey RoninX,

Some people wear their rank, some don't. It doesn't matter either way. Particularly with the Japanese Shihan. I'm willing to bet those stars on Kan Sensei's gi were there for use with his Godan patch. Given the date and the freshness of the Judan patch, I'm betting he just got it around then. It's best not to jump to conclusions and state them as odd fact, though. Especially with trivial things.

Cheers!

Well, doesn´t make much sense to you use a rank that you dont hold.
In 1992 Kan Shihan already wears the Judan Patch. This means he is one of the very first Japanese Shihan, along with Manaka, Ishizuka and Seno. I just found this curious, nothing more.

[]

lost_in_translation

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Tread carefully my friend. It's 3 stars on the uwagi not 4 or 5, (I have the video). Like I said if you have questions about Kan Shihan , contact the Na Fianna dojo, they (well Pol) would be the main people to answer you. Alternativly on your next trip to Japan you could pay him a visit lol ;)

kouryuu

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Tread carefully my friend. It's 3 stars on the uwagi not 4 or 5, (I have the video). Like I said if you have questions about Kan Shihan , contact the Na Fianna dojo, they (well Pol) would be the main people to answer you. Alternativly on your next trip to Japan you could pay him a visit lol ;)

And be prepared to be battered:)

OP
R

RoninX

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Wow! Dale Seago! A 15th Dan! The bad news? There´s no 16th!

canit

White Belt
Reaction score
Kan Sensei is one of the first Judan in Bujinkan, even before Noguchi, Oguri, Nagato and others.

The Shihan you listed all became Judan on the same day in 1990.

Hatsumi-sensei unveiled the Judan patch at the Daikomyosai party that year. If I remember correctly he gave them to Ishizuka-sensei, Kan-sensei, Manaka-sensei, Nagato-sensei, Noguchi-sensei, Oguri-sensei, Seno-sensei, and Mariko-sensei.

I took photographs of each Shihan receiving their patch, and got a close-up shot of Ishizuka-sensei holding his. Kevin Millis appropriately dubbed it the "Surf Patch".

OP
R

RoninX

Orange Belt
Reaction score
The Shihan you listed all became Judan on the same day in 1990.

Hatsumi-sensei unveiled the Judan patch at the Daikomyosai party that year. If I remember correctly he gave them to Ishizuka-sensei, Kan-sensei, Manaka-sensei, Nagato-sensei, Noguchi-sensei, Oguri-sensei, Seno-sensei, and Mariko-sensei.

I took photographs of each Shihan receiving their patch, and got a close-up shot of Ishizuka-sensei holding his. Kevin Millis appropriately dubbed it the "Surf Patch".

Wow, nice info! I thought Noguchi and Oguri had only received the Judan later, because they used the Godan patch in videos from 1994,95,96...

lost_in_translation

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Wow, nice info! I thought Noguchi and Oguri had only received the Judan later, because they used the Godan patch in videos from 1994,95,96...

That's what you get for basing assumptions on video ;)..same point can be applied to yhe Ed Lomax thread ;)

Latest Discussions