FMAT: An Honest Question about Sikaran

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
An Honest Question about Sikaran
By BayaniWarrior - Wed, 21 May 2008 04:07:19 GMT
Originally Posted at: FMATalk

====================

Hey guys. I've honestly not had that much of an exposure to Sikaran. I've learned a few of the techniques in the past (my favorite being the low stomping kicks to the knees) but I have never formally trained in the art. After going online and watching various Sikaran videos, I've noticed that a lot of Sikaran looks very similar, if not identical, to Tae Kwon Do. The uniforms are identical to Karate/TKD gis. There are many reverse punches, low horse stances, low blocks, and Karate stances. There are Katas (I'm not sure if you call them Katas in Sikaran, it's the only word that comes to mind when thinking of the solo sequences).

My post isn't to offend anyone. I'm just interested in the art and I am curious as to why most Sikaran looks similar, if not identical, to Karate and Tae Kwon Do. I'm very interested in the art, I just notice that there seems to be a heavy TKD/Karate influence.

To illustrate my point, I found two different Sikaran clips online.

This first clip is very Karate/TKD-esque. Kata training, uniforms, and the like.

This second clip looks more Filipino. Lots of Moro footwork, and many of the techniques are reminiscient of FMA empty hands and Silat.

Again, I'm not trying to offend anyone or imply that Sikaran is not Filipino. I'm sure it is...I'm just wondering why a lot of the Sikaran I've seen resembles TKD and Karate.

Respectfully,
Mike

Read More...

------------------------------------
FMATalk.com Post Bot - FMA Feed

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I’ll answer this here as well as over at FMATALK.COM.

It depends on whom you study Sikaran with. I will agree that many Sikaran practitioners could pass for TKD practitioners with ease.
Most seem to do snap kicks but some do more push kicks ( using the thigh more than the knee for delivery of the kick).
Low line kicks are favored by some but many do the high kicks including flying kicks and some that just look fancy. If you see a kick in TKD you can almost bet it is done by some Sikaran practitioner.
Footwork also depends on whom you train with: some use almost “karate stances and foot work the resembles Japanese fighting styles, others use a more flowing foot work that resembles Chinese hard and soft styles, while others use 45 degree movement most of the time, still others use what you showed in the clip. It depends on where the Sikaran came from and the instructors background and training in other arts.
Forms are also varying depending on where the instructor learned and what other influences have been introduced into his teachings.
As a note to all: Sikaran simply refers to a foot fighting method used by many but it has become known also as a style of its own by a few systems.

Latest Discussions