Training Alone...

Johnny-sama

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm on summer vacation, and I seriously am craving for some training! I'm still a beginner, a 9th Kyu in Bujinkan, so I'm not sure what I should train in. I've tried shadow grappling, but it's nothing like the real thing....

Help?

RoninX

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I'm on summer vacation, and I seriously am craving for some training! I'm still a beginner, a 9th Kyu in Bujinkan, so I'm not sure what I should train in. I've tried shadow grappling, but it's nothing like the real thing....

Help?

Since you are only a beginner, you should focus your training in the practice of the basics: Kamae no kata, leg work, shadow tai sabaki, Gôgyô no kata, Ukemi-gata and the basic methods of kicking and punching. Ths should be enough for you.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ask your teachers. They can guide you on what YOU need better than anyone on the internet.

But I've never heard an advanced Bujinkan practicioner say that they practiced their basics too much...

stephen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
To be honest, given your length of time training, I wouldn't practice things like san shin, kihon happo, or specific 'kamae' too much.

You're likely to solidify bad habits without some occasional 'course correction' by your instructor.

I would work on two things mainly:

- Flexibility: Strech every day.

- Ukemi: Roll, a lot.

If your ukemi is incorrect the ground will fix it - so it's very easy to make sure you don't go off course. The flexibility will help with this.

In my opinion, the way to get the best the fastest is to have excellent ukemi. If your ukemi is good you'll be able to receive and learn from class instruction without worrying about your safety.

You could practice all that other stuff, you may be doing it right, you may be doing it wrong - you'll probably end up about where you left off.

If you go back with ridiculously good ukemi you'll gain enough sensitivity to feel and understand what the instructor (and other skilled practitioners) are doing. Also people will be more inclined to train with someone who can clearly be responsible for their own safety, leading to greater training opportunities with skilled people.

Be sure to experiment and roll all different ways with both hands, one hand, no hands, shoelaces tied together, brace on the knee so it can't be bent, blind folded, one hand tied to your foot, etc...Anything and everything you can think of. 'Real' ukemi never looks like the 'basic' versions, and a habit to execute a 'perfect' roll can cause injury if your arm happens to be locked up in some strange way or if you're near a cliff.

Also, it's completely do-able. A few months of regular focused ukemi training is enough to improve a beginner past the level of most people who have been training for years in an unfocused way.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
To be honest, given your length of time training, I wouldn't practice things like san shin, kihon happo, or specific 'kamae' too much.

You're likely to solidify bad habits without some occasional 'course correction' by your instructor.

I would work on two things mainly:

- Flexibility: Strech every day.

- Ukemi: Roll, a lot.

If your ukemi is incorrect the ground will fix it - so it's very easy to make sure you don't go off course. The flexibility will help with this.

In my opinion, the way to get the best the fastest is to have excellent ukemi. If your ukemi is good you'll be able to receive and learn from class instruction without worrying about your safety.

You could practice all that other stuff, you may be doing it right, you may be doing it wrong - you'll probably end up about where you left off.

If you go back with ridiculously good ukemi you'll gain enough sensitivity to feel and understand what the instructor (and other skilled practitioners) are doing. Also people will be more inclined to train with someone who can clearly be responsible for their own safety, leading to greater training opportunities with skilled people.

Be sure to experiment and roll all different ways with both hands, one hand, no hands, shoelaces tied together, brace on the knee so it can't be bent, blind folded, one hand tied to your foot, etc...Anything and everything you can think of. 'Real' ukemi never looks like the 'basic' versions, and a habit to execute a 'perfect' roll can cause injury if your arm happens to be locked up in some strange way or if you're near a cliff.

Also, it's completely do-able. A few months of regular focused ukemi training is enough to improve a beginner past the level of most people who have been training for years in an unfocused way.

Definately good points on working on flexibility and ukemi. Those should be a top priority. As for the Sanshin no Kata well that depends on how well you understand the movement. I would practice it but definately I would be working on flexibility and ukemi more.
icon6.gif
As for the shadow grappling I am assuming that you are talking about doing Kihon Happo in the air? If so I do that all the time.
icon14.gif
It is not like having a partner but it ingrains the movement provided that you know it and execute it correctly!

Jphaas

White Belt
Reaction score
The best advice I can give you would be to get a full-length mirror and practice kamae and san shin no kata - slowly. Look for obvious structural problems in your kamae - is one shoulder higher than the other, is your butt sticking out, is your head tilted at a funny angle, etc. Then, begin to move and watch all those things play out in motion. This way you will begin to increase efficiency of your taijutsu by eliminating wasteful movements. Be patient. Practice a little bit each day.

Fitness and conditioning are excellent means of solo-training as well! :)

Jon Haas
www.Warriorfitness.org
www.Shinobi.org

Help?

Obi Wan Shinobi

Green Belt
Reaction score
I would just recommend to keep practicing everything that you've learn from your teacher so far....at least the stuff you can practice alone. But if you want to supplement your knowledge I would suggest that you read some books by Soke.

Latest Discussions