Question about food ( UNITED KINGDOM )

JohnnyEnglish

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I thought a while about it.... CAN I eat/drink raw eggs I get at morrisons or asda? If yes, what blend should I buy to be on the safe side ?

Since I am a child I want to drink raw eggs everyday, but I've never had the nuts to actually do it, because the the panic news about salmonellas and stuff and some sort of sick worms eating your body.

So can I finally do it ? I mean, it would be a great and natural protein source.

Jacky Zuki

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Salmonella is really the only problem you might encounter eating raw egg so there is a small chance you could get food poisoning. How big a chance is still a matter of debate. I know bodybuilders who will blend a raw egg into a protein shake and I have had plenty of Prairie Oysters without ill effect (mind you with a hangover it is sometimes hard to tell) but the fact remains that there is a risk with eating eggs raw or lightly cooked. Does it have to be a whole egg cracked from the shell or would a liquid pasteurised egg suit your needs?

OP
JohnnyEnglish

JohnnyEnglish

Green Belt
Reaction score
Salmonella is really the only problem you might encounter eating raw egg so there is a small chance you could get food poisoning. How big a chance is still a matter of debate. I know bodybuilders who will blend a raw egg into a protein shake and I have had plenty of Prairie Oysters without ill effect (mind you with a hangover it is sometimes hard to tell) but the fact remains that there is a risk with eating eggs raw or lightly cooked. Does it have to be a whole egg cracked from the shell or would a liquid pasteurised egg suit your needs?

I always eat oysters raw and also never had any problems.

Well, I planned to drink it raw, like 3 raw eggs everyday.

Jacky Zuki

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Sorry, I should have explained, a prairie oyster is a raw egg with Tabasco, Worcestershire Sauce, salt and black pepper, no shellfish involved. You drink it to get rid of a hangover. The refectory at my university used to have trays of them set out every morning for those who studied the effects of alcohol and I rather got a liking for them.

OP
JohnnyEnglish

JohnnyEnglish

Green Belt
Reaction score
Sorry, I should have explained, a prairie oyster is a raw egg with Tabasco, Worcestershire Sauce, salt and black pepper, no shellfish involved. You drink it to get rid of a hangover. The refectory at my university used to have trays of them set out every morning for those who studied the effects of alcohol and I rather got a liking for them.

Oh okay. I think I will try this soon. If I get salmonella I will blame you for it :D

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OP
JohnnyEnglish

JohnnyEnglish

Green Belt
Reaction score
There is no reason why you can't eat the eggs raw here, though I would make sure they are the organic ones. In the USA eggs are treated differently than in the UK, that treatment is illegal in the EU, it's also why Americans keep their eggs in a fridge and we don't have to.
Why American Eggs Would Be Illegal In A British Supermarket And Vice Versa - Forbes

You may feel more at home in Lidl or Aldi lol.

I always keep my eggs in the fridge.

Lidl and Aldi are low quality Supermarkets in Germany, I've never liked to buy products there. I always went for Tegut or Toom.

Over here in the UK, I prefer Morrisons.

Latest Discussions