Food storage IS self defense.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, in this post in the now (sadly….) shutdown Glenn Beck thread, granfire said:

the rockin’ redhead said:
Again, the context decides the degree of nuttiness. If you don't have food in the house over night, you are asking for it.
But if you go off half cocked storing food you are also not winning. And the average Joe has long since been removed from the farm, correct food storage is no longer in the makeup, or what to do when the box dinner is no longer available....or the microwave broke.
(and frankly, 3 month don't get you too far, really. If the poop hits the fan that you need your gold and your guns, you had better stored enough potatoes for a year!)

Well, let’s take a look at that. We keep enough food to feed 10 people 3000 calories a day for a year. 1[SUP]st[/SUP] off, though, I have to say that having a reliable source of water, as well as having some stored for the short-term are key: in the Jemez, I equipped our well with its own photovoltaic power system, as well as a hand pump that fed the house’s 3,000 gallon holding tank with its own solar-powered pump to supply house pressure. If you’re on municipal water, though, the first thing you need to think about is your rather large water needs-figure at least a gallon/person per day, and try to have a minimum of two weeks worth-you can actually do this with bottled water. If you have room for it, try for a month or even three-for a family of four, that’s 360 gallons of water, just a little over seven 55 gallon drums-even stacked up, that's a fair amount of space. If you have pets, figure on a quart of water per day for a dog or cat-though I’d advise just cooking the cat. :lfao:

As for food, there are a few inexpensive, nutrient rich foods suitable for long term storage: beans, rice, whole grains, canned tuna, peanut butter, tang, powdered milk, and olive oil are a good place to start-you can start your food stockpile with these items by spending less $10 a week-at least you could before this years lousy peanut crop. There are also other canned foods:greens, carrots,and beets are good, and a variety of freeze-dried and dehydrated foods to be kept to make for some variety-since Y2K these last have gotten to be more and more costly. Grocery stores often run case sales on canned goods, and Sam’s Club and Costco are good sources for canned goods in bulk.

As far as storage goes, the place is far more important than the containers. Ours is currently our garage. Sure, if there were going to be a hurricane, or tornado-or, far more likely in our case, a volcanic eruption-well, the food would be gone, and likely, so would we. If there’s some sort of dramatic social upheaval, or a really devastating epidemic, the stockpile would be intact and useful. We keep all our stuff in large plastic containers in a “pantry” that I’ve built in one of the garages. This storage thing can get really complex for some people, with nitrogen atmospheres to inhibit decay and all other manner of stuff, but having the stuff on the shelf is enough: most canned goods will keep for up to five years, and the freeze dried stuff is usually good for about the same-in both cases, though, that’s for as long as their containers remain intact, so good dry storage and safe handling are imperative.

The final key is using these foods regularly, though, to minimize the adjustment should a “situation” arise, and, since we keep such a large amount on hand, replacing the oldest food on an annual basis. What we do is make a large food donation to a local shelter each year, and get an itemized receipt for our income taxes-this helps defray some of the slight cost of maintaining the stockpile-in spite of working these things into our diet occasionally, I find we mostly use the canned tuna, beans, rice and peanut butter regularly, and have to remember to try the others from time to time-about this time of year we’re sorting out a whole bunch of canned veggies (we eat A LOT of fresh veggies) and canned fruit (we eat A LOT of fresh fruit) and freeze-dried and dehydrated foodstuffs (which mostly wind up getting used on camping trips.:lfao: ) for delivery to the shelter.

All in all, though, having a food cushion for safety is affordable-though I don't really think you have to go with 1 year for 10 people, unless you're a raving paranoid like I am-and satisfying. I can rest easy knowing that I have this first line of defense against an interruption in our normal food supplies.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Food and water = essential things that every family needs. Food storage is not only as Elder999 say's doable and cost efficient but
some thing that every family should plan for. Whether it be a hurricane, torando, earthquake, flood, social upheavel, etc. Every family should have some food and water stored! This just makes for good preparedness!

Now what should you have:
Freeze dried food (very inexpensive overall for what you get)
canned food
peanut butter
canned fruit
canned vegetables
Plus plenty of water! Lot's of water! Lot's of water! Did I say lot's of water? :ultracool

Really you can do this for just a little bit and if you ever need it then you will be very happy!

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My plan is to know where all the guys with food stored up live and pay them a visit with my high caliber friends.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The Ice Storm of 2008 left me without power, running water, or heat for 8 days. I keep a fair amount of water and shelf-stable goods on hand, probably a few weeks worth. A condo isn't the best place to have a generator, so I keep a I have a cheapo 450 watt voltage inverter in the car that I hope to upgrade soon. Might not be enough for the zombie apocalypse but so far its been good enough for blizzards, hurricanes and Nor'Easters :D

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Good thing you're in Michigan, Bill.

You really think I'm in Michigan?

Maybe I'm in a small house near Paseo Del Norte and Wyoming in Albuquerque, NM, in a Red Jeep Cherokee about to jump on I-25 North...

I'd feel really bad about killing you.....:lfao:

I'd feel really bad about being dead.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
All that food storage is worthless if you gotta evac. Unless you got an SUV with lots of cargo room or a 4 door pick up truck to carry it all with you (provided you got time to pack it all into the vehicle)... It's going to sit there til whatever happens that made you (and the rest of your immediate area) evac in the first place, ruin it all.

I've known many an LDS folk who have room specially designed when building new homes, specifically for food storage... including cold storage.
Some have storage units that are situated near their homes full of stuffs for when the SHTF. There are other folk as well who stock up for the "whatever/whenever." But none that, in my experience, rivaled those folks out in Utah.

But is it self defense? Hell yeah it is. Bullets aren't going to keep you (and your love ones) alive if you out all by yourself. There may be no game to hunt or others to barter with. If you're trapped in a flood that reaches up to just below your attic... what then? Shoot fish?
Bullets, guns and other weaponry should be on hand to protect what is yours.
Question is of course... be willing to share with others in the immediate vicinity? Nah, **** 'em right? They should've started stocking up when that Costco or Sam's Club opened up a little while back. Too bad on them eh? Eh?

No? Hmm, is it self defense to say no, sorry we've only enough just for us?

We've had similar experiences as Americans back during the great dust bowl and depression. Those who have even done a bit of light reading (i.e. Steinbeck) or an occasional movie made during or about that period would know what I mean. Ireland and England and a LOT of other countries have had the same in the past or are going through it now.
Not talking about if or when we would fall into same circumstances but how we would act towards one another.
We're a pretty cold bunch of people as a whole right now. Oh sure there are pockets of warmth here and there and I'd like to believe that basically most people are good rather than an ****... but they're there.
Will we encounter a situation where a neighbor has got a supply of one thing that you might need and you don't have any of what they need... "well, that's just too bad isn't it?", from the neighbor? Or whomever you may meet?
Food storage is a good thing and food storage is self-defense. Just how far are you willing to go to help others have the same defense, after the initial need surfaces?

OP
elder999

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
Food storage is a good thing and food storage is self-defense. Just how far are you willing to go to help others have the same defense, after the initial need surfaces?

The wife's a Quaker. I'm not sure there's a word for what I am. IN any case, why do you think we have a year's worth for 10 people? Sure, it's partly to support those close to us (or those we are allied with,who might bring extra firepower and technical support) and it's partly to ensure we can help our neighbors.

Self defense? Making sure that events don't force your self to become someone you won't like......

(And it's not the only supply we have,even including the "bug-out" supply.It's just the "hunker down while everyone dies from the flu" stash.Then again, I'm a raving paranoiac....:lfao: )

Bill Mattocks said:
You really think I'm in Michigan?

Maybe I'm in a small house near Paseo Del Norte and Wyoming in Albuquerque, NM, in a Red Jeep Cherokee about to jump on I-25 North...

Dude. WHen we were in the Jemez, all us neighbors took care of each other. And we all had guns....now, of course, I'm back in Los Alamos, where I swore I wouldn't live again, but it's one of the most protected cities in the world, and a few of the police force are my students.

Feelin' froggy? Jump on I-25, then. I'll leave the light on.....:lfao:

Last edited:

Monroe

Purple Belt
Reaction score
We had the black out in 2003. We filled the tub with water straight away. By coincidence we had extra fuel and more water than we could reasonably store (my room mate was a nutjob). For food, we had crackers. Yep, crackers. You'd expect more food for 2 women. And neither of us had cash. We exchanged water and fuel for food with neighbours. Everyone was nice and helpful to each other. Most of the people in the neighbourhood were 20-40 year olds without kids. It took 4 days for the power to come up, but we did get some help by the 4th day with food and water offers. We lived downtown but we didn't have ac to start with. We never bought a tv and we rarely cooked. I'd say we were lucky.

Anyway, after that these commercials started. http://youtu.be/kR7jafdUvi4

We have 2 weeks food and water stored for an emergency. I can imagine that a severe snow or ice storm could create a big problem for us here. Probably not, but it doesn't hurt to be safe. If it's something more major than that, I'm guessing more food and water wouldn't solve anything. We'd need to leave. The only thing I have wayyy too much of is jam. I don't like the store jam as much as my home made. So I make tons of this stuff and store it in the basement. I know how to pickle and store food from my Great-Grandmother. I used to help her when I was a teenager. And I know a little about farming from helping out at my Grandparents farm. Being in the suburbs, in an emergency that takes more than a couple of weeks to resolve, it's probably best to leave. We grow apples, tomatoes and berries in the backyard, but you can't live off that.

decepticon

Green Belt
Reaction score
We live in a rural area and often have situations where the dirt roads to our place become impassible, so we always have a goodly supply put back. Long term supplies are a whole other topic. We have enough of those to last us until we would be able to transition over to a fully self sustaining lifestyle. I am not about to give up my electricity and other civilized luxuries until I absolutely have to, but we do have the means to feed, clothe, medicate, and protect ourselves should the need arise.

Sorry to tell those who are planning to help themselves from our supplies if times get rough, but we also have plenty of ammo, and the knowledge of how to use it. Around here, the common response to , "I'm coming to your house..." is, "Oh, come on, surely you can find a driveway closer to your house to die in than making the trek all the way to mine." We don't really joke about that. We make sacrifices every day to live where and how we do. We certainly will not be turning the fruits of that hard labor over easily.

For anyone truly interested in this topic, there are numerous websites that will help you put together a bug out bag (BOB) for you and your family, which is for those emergencies when you have to evacuate with little or no notice at all. Many people also have extras stashed in remote locations. Also, you can read up on a 72 hr. kit, which includes more weight, food, and equipment than a BOB. If you throw in a little more food and some good camping gear, the 72 hr. kit can easily become a 2-week supply. Some also have cached supplies in more than one location on their property so that if their home is damaged and main supplies lost, they will still have some things to get them by.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Food and a bug out bag or two are pretty important. MaCaver mentioned that having all the food in the world isn't any good if you have to evacuate the premises. Part of your food storage plan should be to have a good portion that is movable. (ie. freeze dried cannisters) This movable amount should allow you to survive for quite some time. Food cannisters fill this neatly as they take up very little space.

Helping out other people is important. However, you cannot help someone else out unless you are prepared in the first place!

I know myself and people like me will be able to help others out in an emergency like a flood (not likely here), earthquake (very likely), power outage, etc. I like elder999 should be in position to help out not only my family but others if needed!

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Food for thought (so to speak), the UN believes that 10 gallons of water per person minimum per day is important to sustain healthy human life. This includes water for drinking, cooking, bathing, and cleaning. If you look on the web, you can find stories about reservations in Canada and the like where the natives have no running water, and the diseases they face as a result.

David43515

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I`ve only spent about 2 monthes total in Utah, but I`m not suprised at all about people there having big food storage supplies. You see, I`m a Mormon, and it`s part of our beleifs to try and keep a years supply of food (where legal) and fuel (again where legal) in case of emergency. What`s an emegency? Yeha it might be something like a hurricane or earthquake, but I`ve known alot more who used their food storage when they were out of work for a long period of time. It`s very reassuring to hear someone say "I was out of work for 8 monthes and it was scary and frustrating , and we had to give up alot. But I`m so glad that I never had to worry about feeding my kids."

I used to work for a custom knifemaker and so I went to alot of gun shows and survival shows to sell knives. I met a few nuts, but I met alot more people who said "I`m not getting ready for the end of the world. I`m getting ready for the end of the world as I know it in my everyday life." That might be an icestorm knocking out power for 3 days. It might be a fire at work wiping out your job with no warning. Or cancer or a car accident putting your family`s main bread winner in the hospital for monthes. It`s alot easier to help those around you when you`re not desperatly in need of help yourself.

Like Elder said, the main thing is to gather things you`ll actually eat, a little at a time, and rotate them into your regular diet.

Latest Discussions