question about five swords

supermommaloha

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi, I am sitting here with Grandmaster Frank Trejo, reading some of the questions on this web site forum to pass time and he said to tell you that it's better for them to hit your "check" first, than hit your face first....hope this helps!

kenpo3631

Black Belt
Reaction score
The technique "Five Swords" has undergone significant changes and revisions over time, depending upon era, lineage, and instructor preferences.

Originally called the "do this, and then later the "Five Count" before techniques were given metaphorical names, it consisted of all open handed "knife-hand" applications, that terminated with a "spear-hand" (Japanese influenced) to the solar plexus, thus using "5 swords."

Later, revised under the Chinese Kenpo influence, the spear-hand became a punch. (Historical Note: some mistakenly call it an "upper-cut" but Mr. Parker termed it an "Inverted Horizontal.") but the name remained unchanged.

Later versions added additional movements after the strike to the body that brought the attacker downward, with a finishing hand-sword to the back of the neck, and it became "Seven Swords."

Than the open handed blocks were replaced with closed hands, the finger thrust to the eyes became a heel-palm, but was still counted as an open handed move so it once again was back to "Five Swords."

Than the "extension" came along (so to speak) and it became "Seven Swords" for some, and "Five Swords plus extension" for others, depending upon lineage. The base concept today remains unchanged for many, and regardless of the number of "swords" actually used, the technique remains a staple of the Ed Parker influenced arts as "Five Swords."

Everything always depends upon who taught you, when they taught you, and what they wanted to teach you.

Thanks again Doc. Your statement just re-affirms what Mr. Wedlake told me about the technique. I love it when I hear other students of Mr. Parker telling the same stuff. I just makes my belief that much more concrete. :asian:

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hi, I am sitting here with Grandmaster Frank Trejo, reading some of the questions on this web site forum to pass time and he said to tell you that it's better for them to hit your "check" first, than hit your face first....hope this helps!

Tell Frank I said, he's still master of the obvious.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Pollynesian parralysis. Mr Parker uses to say.
Sean

Kenpo1981

White Belt
Reaction score
I thought everything at a 45 is stronger so if u leave it close to u its weak, please correct me if im wrong. Thanks Guys![/quote]

As soon as you bend your arm beyond 90 degrees, I believe the bicep is engaged and it curls your arm, therefore an opponent could trap your arm against your body more easily. Greater than the 90 degrees and the triceps are engaged, which extends your arm and would allow you to resist a trap more effectively.

I think some of that would be offset if the person being trapped was a stronger person in comparison to the person trapping. How aware one is that the trap is coming would make a difference as well perhaps.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I thought everything at a 45 is stronger so if u leave it close to u its weak, please correct me if im wrong. Thanks Guys!

As soon as you bend your arm beyond 90 degrees, I believe the bicep is engaged and it curls your arm, therefore an opponent could trap your arm against your body more easily. Greater than the 90 degrees and the triceps are engaged, which extends your arm and would allow you to resist a trap more effectively.

I think some of that would be offset if the person being trapped was a stronger person in comparison to the person trapping. How aware one is that the trap is coming would make a difference as well perhaps.[/quote]The force of his body comming in will just bounce off structuraly supported by your body bent all the way, giving you enough space to strike with a full range of motion through the target.
Sean

Latest Discussions