question about belt

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
I already have my second dan black belt, my sambunim gave it to me some time back, it's a korean 3 inch wide black belt embroided, one side says my name in the other in koreran says Hwarang Tae Kwon Do Mexico, no strips because my sambunim does not like that. When this belt was given to me I just put it on a drawer waiting for my second dan promotion.

These days I am wondering about asking a esoin panther black belt as a gifth to myself and wodering if order a embroided black belt or just a plain black belt only with the stripes.

The belt sambunim gave me is too short and only circles my waist once and I really like my black belts to circle my waist two times as should be.

Some times I like the retro feeling or view of a plane black belt, but reallice all my classmates use embroided belts.

Maybe I am too square but I like the plain karate-gi or dobok with out any label or patch (well maybe just one patch from my dojang) and a plain black belt.

Manny

dortiz

Black Belt
Reaction score
I am a huge fan of a traditional white uniform and plain black belt.

My next uniform though will include orange spandex, stars and lightable sparklers : )

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Manny I always wanted a Bedazzled belt and if you do it and wear it outside, well that would be good enough for me.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If your sabonim doesn't like stripes, don't get them. Get an embroidered one since it is standard at your school. I do like one embroidered for formal occasions like examinations. Get a plain one too for regular training days.

At the very least you need one that fits properly whichever way you go.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I am a huge fan of a traditional white uniform and plain black belt.

My next uniform though will include orange spandex, stars and lightable sparklers : )

I'm slowly but surely being converted over to a black uniform out of pure pragmatism. I have at least 3 uniforms right now that are white but have yellow sweat stains that are noticeable enough for me not to want to wear them even though the fabric is in perfectly good shape other than the staining.

I've tried all the remedies I know including M-1, Goop, Oxydol, hydrogen peroxide, Tide with Bleach, etc. and they all help some but not 100%.

I may follow SteveBJJ's idea and dye the uniforms to a different fun color like periwinkle blue or something. It's such a waste having these sit idle in the closet and they're quality labels like Shureido and Hirota. :(

dortiz

Black Belt
Reaction score
I have several Black Uniforms as well. The problem is they fade wierd. Shureido warns you right up front. meanwhile my same Shuriedo in white with a good cold quick wash after practice looks great.
My other Black Mooto and Sang Moo Sa run pretty much the same.
For WTF TKD. You can pry my Mooto from cold stiff legs. My KHF uniforms from Moo Sool Sa hold up nicely as well.
In the end I wear two uniforms now for TKD/HKD and Karate. They are my Mizuno Yawara 3D and my Tozando Soft heavy weight http://www.budo-sakigake.com/Tozando-Super-Soft-Double-Weave-Jacket-p/005-800ag.htm
The greatest top I have ever owned. The ownly problem is you cant spar because its so comfy you fall asleep in it : )
As for belts I wear what my teacher gave me in class and when travelling I use a plain black belt.

Shureido and Hirota! Great uniforms. I also recommend Tokon.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Manny,

I'd stay away from anything on a belt that you wouldn't be able to wear in class. If your SBN doesn't like stripes, don't get them. Get a belt that you are comfortable wearing. Embroidered, or plain is up to you.

I like Eosin Panther belts, as I've said. I own two of them. One has the the things on it that my GM wants. I wear that for all official functions. The other is the way I like it. I wear that one every day. Both belts are very comfortable for me. That's important to me as well.

Terry & Dave, I wanna see pictures of the bedazzled belt & the flashy doboks:ultracool

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Because I am an instructor at the school, I have a black belt embroidered with my name on one end and our federations on the other, all in Hangul. It is the belt that I wear. I have several black belts with stripes that I have on a rack with my colored belts, my certificates framed and hanging next to it.

Our belts and doboks come from Dynamics.

Personally, I'm with Manny on the unadorned dobok and no stripes on the belt, though I do like the embroidered Hangul.

Daniel

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Because I am an instructor at the school, I have a black belt embroidered with my name on one end and our federations on the other, all in Hangul. It is the belt that I wear. I have several black belts with stripes that I have on a rack with my colored belts, my certificates framed and hanging next to it.

Our belts and doboks come from Dynamics.

Personally, I'm with Manny on the unadorned dobok and no stripes on the belt, though I do like the embroidered Hangul.

Daniel

I think I will go like Daniel wrote, just a nice 2 inch wide black belt with my name on one end of the belt and in the other the name of the organization I am part, all in hangul.

Manny

Bushi40

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Your instructor must of had an extra belt hanging around, it is a gross insult for an instructor to care as little as to give a belt that does not fit without a logical explaniation. You worked hard for years for your dan ranking. Go buy the black belt that you like and wear it with pride, if your instructor mentions anything to you, tell him that the original belt means a lot to you and you would prefer to hang it on your wall.

Enjoy the arts
Grand Master Gene Perceval
In the arts since 1955

Michael Hubbard

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Your instructor must of had an extra belt hanging around, it is a gross insult for an instructor to care as little as to give a belt that does not fit without a logical explaniation. You worked hard for years for your dan ranking. Go buy the black belt that you like and wear it with pride, if your instructor mentions anything to you, tell him that the original belt means a lot to you and you would prefer to hang it on your wall.

Enjoy the arts
Grand Master Gene Perceval
In the arts since 1955
Great advice.

J. Pickard

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I would say it's your belt do what you want but be respectful of your instructor. I usually ask my students if they want embroidery and if they do then I ask what they want embroidered on their belt. One of my student's has a fully embroidered belt (hangul on one side that says Taekwondo, name in english on the other and Dan rank bars on the name side) but asked me to order him a new plain black belt. I didn't ask why but it's his belt so it doesn't matter to me.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Great advice.
I would repeat much of what @Bushio40 said to the instructor, with tact and respect of course. They are not god nor godly; if a mistake is/was made any person needs to know about it. If it turns out it was not a mistake and was intentional that also needs to be known.
Quite telling in all regards.

Latest Discussions