Question about adrenaline rushes

OP
C

Carbon

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I'm sorry to say this, but no matter if you are or aren't a MAist your chemical make-up stays the same.

Its your genes, its how you were built when you were born.

There is no way as of yet to change the chemical-makeup of someone, there are methods they are working on to detect birth defects when a baby is still in the woom and are trying to figure ways to change it.

Other than this when you are born and when you grow up your chemical make-up stays the same.

Its like saying since I'm allergic to penisilun I can change this by doing MArts

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Carbon

I'm sorry to say this, but no matter if you are or aren't a MAist your chemical make-up stays the same.

Its your genes, its how you were built when you were born.

There is no way as of yet to change the chemical-makeup of someone, there are methods they are working on to detect birth defects when a baby is still in the woom and are trying to figure ways to change it.

Other than this when you are born and when you grow up your chemical make-up stays the same.

Its like saying since I'm allergic to penisilun I can change this by doing MArts

Thats exactly what I'm saying. Your chemical makeup does not chagne, but each person from birth is made up differently than the next person.

7sm

G

GouRonin

Originally posted by 7starmantis

I think we agree, you just can't grasp the fact that you might agree with me.
Lets not turn this into a personal battle friend, lets keep it nice and polite please.

I think we agree on some points but the rest you're full of cr@p. Plain and simple and you don't like that I called you on it. Evade, dodge, change all you want. I don't care.

If you want polite and nice, then go looking elsewhere on some sunshine mountain where rivers of chocolate flow and the trees grow candy.

...and don't kid yourself. We're not friends.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by GouRonin

I think we agree on some points but the rest you're full of cr@p. Plain and simple and you don't like that I called you on it. Evade, dodge, change all you want. I don't care.

If you want polite and nice, then go looking elsewhere on some sunshine mountain where rivers of chocolate flow and the trees grow candy.

...and don't kid yourself. We're not friends.

Wow, sorry I got to you so bad there man, calm down. Are you completely unable to allow others to have differing opinions without spouting off about them being full of crap?
Lets just get back to the subject matter of the post then, sorry I threatened you.

7sm

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I hope I can stay out of the fracas over here, most of you have some good experience and I think some of this thread is suffering from lack of specific vocabulary or common definitions.

From some of what I've read I want to know if Gou makes a distinction between and Adrenaline Rush and an Adrenaline Dump.

Is one of these a rush that you get right before an encounter and one something that happens when it is all over?

Or are "Adrenaline Rush" and "Adrenaline Dump" the same?

If so, then are there two phenomena associated with Adrenaline? Is there a before a fight and an after a fight reaction?

I wanted to chime in because I used to get so weak and nervous before a tournament fight that I thought I couldn' t move... then one day I was matched up against a giant guy who had been talking smack all day. I thought, "Oh Man! I can't fight this guy if I feel weak!" And then, amazingly, I wasn' t weak anymore but I felt very energetic. I felt as if I had turned the tide in my favor and channeled adrenaline to it's proper use. Maybe I converted a Flight into a Fight response.

Is this conversion something some of you are talking about relative to being able to "deal with" Adrenaline?

And in a real fight, is there also another rush afterward that might be confusing this issue?

I hope this helps.

Gou, if you prefer you can send me an email. I prefer an email to a PM because I'll probably want to put your comments into my notebook. You have a lot of wisdom and insight that I don't have. Even if you do prefer to be contentious. :eek:

I keep wanting to go on about Gou's personality more, but I'll say this since this thread has already seen a few "fights." Gou seems to prefer to be..."provocative" I don't know why. I might ask him but we've already had one "falling out" and I don't want to get him wound up.

But I respect Gou's knowledge enough that I often read his posts and sometimes save them for my notes because he just seems to be a great student of fighting. I'd reply to you more often Gou, but I prefer to avoid fights, whether they are on the street, in the parking lot, at lunch, work or on the web....

Alright, I'm in trouble now probably so I'll shut up and check back for a reply.
:asian:

G

GouRonin

Originally posted by cdhall
Or are "Adrenaline Rush" and "Adrenaline Dump" the same?

No. For purposes of my discussion I want to use the word "rush" as the onset of the surge and the word "dump" as the resulting occurrance after flight/fight action has been initiated and dealt with by the surge.

I prefer an email to a PM because I'll probably want to put your comments into my notebook.

If I learned anything from my time in EPAK, it's this. If you want it...I have to charge you 29.95 per page.
:rofl:

Gou seems to prefer to be..."provocative" I don't know why.

If you go to a strip bar, or a circus, would you rather see something provocative and exciting or have some fat clown/stripper come up to you and say, "Hey. Wanna see what I can do for a dollar?"

I rest my case.
:rolleyes:

But I respect Gou's knowledge enough that I often read his posts and sometimes save them for my notes

I'll start a tab for you. My invoice is in the mail. We'll start with an easy payment plan.

because he just seems to be a great student of fighting.

Yeah. Sometimes I will fight for 2 whole hours straight! I'm still working on the flaming, lightning, chi balls though. When I get it down pat I'll give you a call ok?

Wow, sorry I got to you so bad there man, calm down.

Oh yeah...you got me bubbles. You got me soooo good. Everyone can see exactly what's going on.

Whatevah...and by the way...this is calm thanx.

Are you completely unable to allow others to have differing opinions without spouting off about them being full of crap?

Not when they're full of cr@p.
:D

Lets just get back to the subject matter of the post then, sorry I threatened you.

My ex girlfriend threatens me. Mouldy cheese threatens me. Running out of poop tickets while I'm on the toilet threatens me.

You do not threaten me.

But you are amusing and I dig that about you baby! Show me the money!
:eek: :D

OP
C

Carbon

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Whats your obsession withy our ex-girlfriend.

I think that everypost I read of yours you manifest a way to bring her up and talk about her.

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Carbon

Whats your obsession withy our ex-girlfriend.

I think that everypost I read of yours you manifest a way to bring her up and talk about her.

Easy, she gives him an Adrenaline Rush.

I'm sorry, I could not resist.
:roflmao:

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Yeah. Sometimes I will fight for 2 whole hours straight! I'm still working on the flaming, lightning, chi balls though. When I get it down pat I'll give you a call ok?

Oh yeah...you got me bubbles. You got me soooo good. Everyone can see exactly what's going on.

Whatevah...and by the way...this is calm thanx.

Not when they're full of cr@p.
:D

My ex girlfriend threatens me. Mouldy cheese threatens me. Running out of poop tickets while I'm on the toilet threatens me.

You do not threaten me.

But you are amusing and I dig that about you baby! Show me the money!
:eek: :D

I would have to say, as a 33 year old man you seem to get pulled into selfishly manifested arguments quite easily. You are aware of what an **** you are being right? But you do give a great name to your fellow boxers, although I would rather not be on the same thread or board as you, so thank you and good night.

7sm

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Carbon, "Whats your obsession withy our ex-girlfriend" Easy! Maybe your GF but not mine! don't say ours!

7starmantis, Gou's not a boxer, or at least not just a boxer.

You are both unwilling to back down so there's no real point in going on is there?

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

G

GouRonin

Easy, she gives him an Adrenaline Rush.
I'm sorry, I could not resist.

Boo from the cheap seats!

Yeah she gives me an adrenaline rush but in a bad, bad, bad way.

...but I'm not bitter.

OP
C

Carbon

Blue Belt
Reaction score
i accidently typed withy our so the "Y" is misplaced.

So it should read.

What is your obsession with your ex-girlfriend.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Damian Mavis

7starmantis, Gou's not a boxer, or at least not just a boxer.

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

Sorry, his profile said boxing as primary art, thats why I posted that, sorry if I made a mistake. That said....

If we assume that the adrenaline "rush"/"dump" happens to everyone, what about the times when you feel nothing at all, is it happeneing and you just do not realize it? Because if its true that its chemical, you should feel it exactly the same each time correct ?

7sm

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
"Sorry, his profile said boxing as primary art, thats why I posted that"

He also lists his arts as "interpretive dance" and training as "excessive drinking" and occupation as "bearhunter" haha

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

G

GouRonin

If we assume that the adrenaline "rush"/"dump" happens to everyone, what about the times when you feel nothing at all, is it happeneing and you just do not realize it? Because if its true that its chemical, you should feel it exactly the same each time correct ?

Not really. if you look at it like a drug then you can use the analogy that much like an addict, the more exposure to it they have the more the levels need to change for the same effect. Like a drug addict needing more and more to maintain a nearly same level high. A same level dosage would not have the same effect as the body builds up tolerances and the mind does as well. There is an effect, but not as much as the inital time.

As an aside, many drug addicts call the act of looking to feel the same affects of that first time they got high, "Chasing The Dragon." because you never really get the same high as that first time and you always need more to come near to it. Hence you are chasing a dragon because you never catch it.

Bod

Purple Belt
Reaction score
There's two things you can do to deal with an adrenaline dump.

A. Learn to use the dump.

B. Not get it so bad in the first place.

I will not go into A again, because the starfish was a funny starfish, talked in Greek, and made people laugh.

But B does happen as well. The first time you do anything scary the dump is bad, but the 99th it's not so bad. OK, so you can't just go around fighting people, but you can reduce your unfamiliarity with a fighting situation and this will reduce your fear response.

And the adrenal response will get less and less, not just your reaction to 'the dump'. Think about the first time you rode a bicycle. Do you still get the same dump now? No, at best you only get a small rush.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Not really. if you look at it like a drug then you can use the analogy that much like an addict, the more exposure to it they have the more the levels need to change for the same effect. Like a drug addict needing more and more to maintain a nearly same level high. A same level dosage would not have the same effect as the body builds up tolerances and the mind does as well. There is an effect, but not as much as the inital time.

As an aside, many drug addicts call the act of looking to feel the same affects of that first time they got high, "Chasing The Dragon." because you never really get the same high as that first time and you always need more to come near to it. Hence you are chasing a dragon because you never catch it.

While I am aware of what I'm risking here, I'm going to disagree with you on one point. If you use the analogy of the drug issue, then you must also factor in the issue of drug rejecting. I have seen several times where drugs were administered and the body had no reaction at all. The blood levels didn't even change a bit. This is because of the persons chemical makeup. If the drug analogy applies to our subject, than this "exception" must also occur. The same drug, in the same amount given to one person will effect a different person completely different. Therefore if we relate this to the adrenaline dump or rush, then there are people who that particular adrenaline does not affect. There are so many chemical dissorders in todays world, ADD, MPD, ect. You have to aknowledge that fact.

7sm

Latest Discussions