Quality VS. Quantity

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This past weekend I was in Vegas for Master Blackburn's little get together and here is my take on this.

We arrived around 10:30 am already there was about 45 people when I looked around the room I saw quality fighters and that is why we came all that way. My oldest son Zachary was able to get around twenty five good matches and learned allot from some of these top fighters. I can only hope some of them learned a few things from him as well, the point is so many times we will make a long trip and have 6-8 fights but they where actually just a waste of time because quantity does not make quality which is why we have decided to be at the next one next year because I do not need five hundred people with only one top guy for him to work with.

The other thing that was so nice was that all fighters there was willing to share and so certain things they do well to the other fighters, not once did anybody say that is top secret or my coach say do not talk about our footwork, angles or anything like that. They had a separate ring with a score board for those that wanted to be scored but for the most part it was refreshing to just go and get quality sparing matches without politics, arguing and major issues.

I wish we as a whole could really see the positive effects it can have on the sport side of TKD. I also had the privilege of meeting mango.man and Gorilla and in February we need to go out and have a drink or two on me of course.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
This past weekend I was in Vegas for Master Blackburn's little get together and here is my take on this.

We arrived around 10:30 am already there was about 45 people when I looked around the room I saw quality fighters and that is why we came all that way. My oldest son Zachary was able to get around twenty five good matches and learned allot from some of these top fighters. I can only hope some of them learned a few things from him as well, the point is so many times we will make a long trip and have 6-8 fights but they where actually just a waste of time because quantity does not make quality which is why we have decided to be at the next one next year because I do not need five hundred people with only one top guy for him to work with.

The other thing that was so nice was that all fighters there was willing to share and so certain things they do well to the other fighters, not once did anybody say that is top secret or my coach say do not talk about our footwork, angles or anything like that. They had a separate ring with a score board for those that wanted to be scored but for the most part it was refreshing to just go and get quality sparing matches without politics, arguing and major issues.

I wish we as a whole could really see the positive effects it can have on the sport side of TKD. I also had the privilege of meeting mango.man and Gorilla and in February we need to go out and have a drink or two on me of course.
Great post Terry. We in Northern California do this same type of thing about 6 times a year. We move the event each time and have different schools host each time. The next event is this 21st (if the date is not moved due to holiday and BB testing for some schools). WTC is the hosting school this time.

It is not as well planned at a nice gym like I saw at TDT's event but some the better fighters in this area get together to train and spar. Afterwards they all go out and dinner and talk about things. During the matches and training they also collaborate with one another on technique, setup, movement and the likes. I have learned so much just by watching this guys. I am too old to compete with them but from a coaching standpoint it is priceless.

You can bet that we will be at the next one. Just give a little more advanced notice so we can adjust schedules if needed.
icon10.gif

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had to sit down with exhaustion at the thought of 25 matches! Oh to be young again! Well done to that young man!
Sounds like a good time was had by all!

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I had to sit down with exhaustion at the thought of 25 matches! Oh to be young again! Well done to that young man!
LOOL

that is a lot, indeed.

I hauled my kid to Camp one time, by lunch time all the kids were pretty much spend, by the end of the day non of them wanted to any more TKD (and it was a quiet ride home, too) but even in that setting they did not get to spar 25 partners.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It was a great event...It went off very well...we are looking at mid-march for the next one... we are going to try to get E-Hogus for this event for the scoring rings. More info to come...This is a great format if you like to fight and we have allot of top talent at our school who love to share knowlege

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It is incredible valuable to meet people who are not from your center.

Eventually you know what everybody does sparring and you start cruising. Everybody should have events like that!

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Another reason for you to come to the states my friend. ;) All three of Terry's kids, even the youngest kiddo, are fine boys with a lot talent for TKD. Zachary had terrific moves when I saw him 2 years ago, he must be phenomenal now!

Latest Discussions