Sometimes Smaller is better!!!

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The AAU had its Pacific Region Jr Olympics in Las Vegas last weekend. It was a sparsely attended event but it was a very fun and enjoyable event. I often get very cynical after Nationals the politics and distortion of TKD can get me down a little. This event was fun. Quality fighters came from Manilla TKD, KMAC Sunnyside(Fresno) and others...It was good hard fought matches with no bias or dirty dealing. It is what sport tkd as it is supposed to be about good fun hard fought matches. Sometimes we get it right and often when we least expect it.

Great Job Master Dewart!!!!!!

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
The AAU had its Pacific Region Jr Olympics in Las Vegas last weekend. It was a sparsely attended event but it was a very fun and enjoyable event. I often get very cynical after Nationals the politics and distortion of TKD can get me down a little. This event was fun. Quality fighters came from Manilla TKD, KMAC Sunnyside(Fresno) and others...It was good hard fought matches with no bias or dirty dealing. It is what sport tkd as it is supposed to be about good fun hard fought matches. Sometimes we get it right and often when we least expect it.

Great Job Master Dewart!!!!!!
Good to hear. Glad you enjoyed it. Hope that everyone did well.

OP
G

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Good to hear. Glad you enjoyed it. Hope that everyone did well.

Everyone did great...We had multiple matches going at the same time and Master Blackburn was unable to coach Charlie. He was fighting a boy from Manilla TKD. When Master Cruz realized that Charlie did not have a Coach he pulled him self out of the match. A great show of sportsmanship.

It reminded me of how tournaments felt 7 years ago. Kind of like the Little Tiger posts reminds of when TKD was new for our Family!!!!

I needed a rejuvenation and this event provided it. I think my kids are still blind to all the politics and we do everything to keep it that way. It is great to attend an event that was pure!

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Great to hear that. Master Cruz is a class act. I like him. Really a nice guy. I love the way he coaches. Very entertaining.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Gorilla I am so glad you was made whole again, that is one of the reasons we do two small events a year just because they are pure and not full of politics.

OP
G

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Gorilla I am so glad you was made whole again, that is one of the reasons we do two small events a year just because they are pure and not full of politics.

You have been doing this allot longer than I have. I learned a valuable lesson from this tournament. Joy of competition is an important driver. When you loose sight of that go back to your roots and you will find comfort. We are going to try and stay above the bad politics and focus on what we can do to get better.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You have been doing this allot longer than I have. I learned a valuable lesson from this tournament. Joy of competition is an important driver. When you loose sight of that go back to your roots and you will find comfort. We are going to try and stay above the bad politics and focus on what we can do to get better.

Gorilla this year I made myself a promise and that is to stay away from the politics as well. We will compete and see what happens but we will also go back to having fun, because if you are not enjoying yourself then why bother at all.

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

You guys going to Oxnard next weekend?

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
We always go to the Mayors Cup...Its is our home school...You going

Probably not. Sucks to cause it will be the first time in at least 10 years that we will have missed it. It is always a great competition though with lots of good fights and very well run. My only complaint about it is the venue and the lack of decent air circulation it gets. A few years back when they did it at Cal Lutheran was awesome, but then right back to the stuffy Oxnard gym the next year.

I can suffer through the smell and the heat and the stuffiness to watch my kid compete, but not to just go and watch other kids.

Good luck to you guys though. Be sure to let us know how it goes.

OP
G

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Probably not. Sucks to cause it will be the first time in at least 10 years that we will have missed it. It is always a great competition though with lots of good fights and very well run. My only complaint about it is the venue and the lack of decent air circulation it gets. A few years back when they did it at Cal Lutheran was awesome, but then right back to the stuffy Oxnard gym the next year.

I can suffer through the smell and the heat and the stuffiness to watch my kid compete, but not to just go and watch other kids.

Good luck to you guys though. Be sure to let us know how it goes.

I used to think the same thing about the venue but then we moved to Las Vegas after that everything seems cool

Latest Discussions