Qualifying for Nationals

sadantkd

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hey, everybody. Sorry if This has already been covered. I didn't see any discussion on a cursory search. I've been away from competitive taekwondo for about 20 years, but I'm forming a team, and was just trying to figure out what all these National Qualifiers are. Back in the day, you qualified by placing at State. I think you could also qualify by winning the US Open. Are there just more qualifiers now, or do you not qualify through State anymore?

Thanks for your help.

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
State tournaments are still the qualifiers for Junior Olympics/Senior Nationals. Placement at these, regional events and sanctioned tournaments give points that affect seeding at Nationals. If I remember right, last year it was enough to just participate at states...didn't even have to medal.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
State tournaments are still the qualifiers for Junior Olympics/Senior Nationals. Placement at these, regional events and sanctioned tournaments give points that affect seeding at Nationals. If I remember right, last year it was enough to just participate at states...didn't even have to medal.
The actual USAT Qualifier is what you want to win as to give you your best seeding position at Nationals. Winning states will give you the 4th place or worst seeding postion at National.

Also the at any USAT Qualifier they advance or qualify the 1st, 2nd, and two 3rd place winners only.

States will only qualify the 1st place winner if less than 600 competitors. If 600 competitor or more then they also qualify the 1st, 2nd, and two 3rd place winners.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
If I have any say in the matter, what I would move towards is a system of a state participation qualification system. What I mean by that is I would eliminate regionals (which lose money) completely and instead allow anyone who competes at their state championships to qualify to nationals and JOs. For most states, this is the system already in place because most divisions in smaller states do not have four qualifiers for most national divisions. What ends up happening is we penalize big states, we also encourage state championship shopping. Instead, we should place everyone on even footing by allowing anyone who participates at a state championships the opportunity to fight at national events. Doing this will encourage participation at both the state and national level in a way that maximizes profit for both the state association and USAT.

As for seeding, I would see according to past performance at USAT National Events, instead of state association size. If you won last year, then you are the number one seed this year, for the same division and weight class.

wtftkdfanatic

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys, didn't wanna open a new thread so thought I'd just post here!

I'm currently 5'10 at 159 pounds. AAU qualifier is the first week of May and I'm hoping to compete at nationals at under 149.9 lbs.
My question is, do I need to be under 149.9 for qualifiers too? Or does AAU allow you to just weigh in a weight class differently at nationals...?
Might be a stupid question, but with 5 weeks left just want to make sure I make weight. Thanks!

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hey guys, didn't wanna open a new thread so thought I'd just post here!

I'm currently 5'10 at 159 pounds. AAU qualifier is the first week of May and I'm hoping to compete at nationals at under 149.9 lbs.
My question is, do I need to be under 149.9 for qualifiers too? Or does AAU allow you to just weigh in a weight class differently at nationals...?
Might be a stupid question, but with 5 weeks left just want to make sure I make weight. Thanks!

You can qualify in one weight catagory but sign up for another one for Nationals. It is not like the USAT where you must qualify the same weight to go to Nationals. So fight 159 and then sign up for Feather for AAU Nationals.

Latest Discussions