Puzzle Mats & Wave masters

TallAdam85

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hello Everyone, So I recently Just spent $700.00 on new puzzle piece mats (http://www.kwonusa.com/kwonusa/shop_artikeldetails.asp?kid=493,561&agnr=9001002) now, I just open my dojo a few months back and constantly tiring to improve the look of the school and make it look and stay clean and well maintained. I have 3 Wavemaster Bags each filled with about 250 to 300 pounds of sand in them. Currently they are on some cheap work out mats. This where my questions falls in if any one has mats like these and if so does your wave master bags tear and mark up these mats? Reason I am asking if they don’t I can make my floor bigger but if they tear up the mats then the extra 5 mats I put in would not be worth it if I have to get new ones because of them getting ripped up. Now I now must of you are thinking it is just a floor but appearance is everything when they see a nice clean floor they are more likely to sign up unlike if they see old ripped mats.

Thanks for ur help

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have all my bags on my puzzle mats and have not had any problems.

Jai

Black Belt
Reaction score
I have used puzzle mats before as well with no trouble what so ever. They hold up pretty good as long as you take care fo them.

RevIV

Black Belt
Reaction score
all puzzle mat flooring is not created equal. my friend bought his from century and they tear all the time. mine are from zebra and they have not torn

Phadrus00

Blue Belt
Reaction score
We have used Puzzle Mats and Wavemaster bags in our school for several years and not had ANY problems with tearing and markups at all. We regularly move the bags around for different drills and never have any problems.

cfr

Black Belt
Reaction score
Not trying to hijack this thread, but I have a Wavemaster question as well and figured this was the right crowd. I got rid of my Wavemaster XXL because I was able to feel the plastic through the foam when I kick/ hit hard and it hurt/ was causing injuries. It seems like it probably took 2 1/2 or 3 years before this started to occur and I still used it for another year or so. I should note that a) it was filled with sand b) it was on top of foam padding so it wouldn't go sliding around the garage. So basically, there was not muuch "give" when striking. Since it seemed to take a while for this to occur, it seems like:
  1. I now hit much harder than I used too.
  2. The foam padding inside broke down over time.
I do strike harder now than it the past, but I'm leaning towards number 2. Does this happen to all of these over time? Is this common?

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well I think any heavy bag wears down a bit over time. With the Wavemasters XXL that I have they are filled with water and move a bit. Even though we have only been using them for about nine months they show no wear and tear from kicking just from stick work.
icon6.gif

I have in the past gone through other wavemasters but mostly from a combination of stick striking and empty hands/kicks.

Latest Discussions