Gas Prices Affecting Training?

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If there is another thread about this, I apologize and please place the link in here.

Has the cost of gas affected anyone when it comes to training or even when it came to choosing a new school. Do you feel it could affect how often you train in the future and even make you think about changing schools if you have a long commute?

We all know that gas is rising and rising and most people are cutting out activites that they have to travel far too and pay a good amount of money for. For owners of schools, have you seen enrollment go down to to people trying to save money?

I was watching CNN this past weekend where analysts were saying by 2012 gas could hit $7/gallon... Could we see the beginning of internet MA classes?? (turn on your web cam to teach and be taught??) *i think I see a business right there. I am taking on partners*

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It hasn't yet. What the future brings, I don't know... but I'm looking at scooters!

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
If there is another thread about this, I apologize and please place the link in here.

Has the cost of gas affected anyone when it comes to training or even when it came to choosing a new school. Do you feel it could affect how often you train in the future and even make you think about changing schools if you have a long commute?

Fortunately for me, at this time, my training locations are not that far from where I live. One is within walking distance, and the other 2 are within 15-20min away.

We all know that gas is rising and rising and most people are cutting out activites that they have to travel far too and pay a good amount of money for. For owners of schools, have you seen enrollment go down to to people trying to save money?

I'm sure this gas issue will effect things in the long run. Will I stop training because of it? Probably not. :) However, at a seminar last month, the attendance was not what it probably would've been, had the prices been lower.

I was watching CNN this past weekend where analysts were saying by 2012 gas could hit $7/gallon...

Man, its scarey to think about that!!!

Could we see the beginning of internet MA classes?? (turn on your web cam to teach and be taught??) *i think I see a business right there. I am taking on partners*

Well, we already have dvds, books, video testing, etc., so who knows. If that is what all schools resorted to though, I'd most likely stop going to class, and just train the material that I already have. Either that, or I'd still do my best to get to a live teacher. That, IMHO, is the only way to go. :)

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yes but no.

It does not affect my martial arts practice much cause World Gym isn't far! But, it does put a crimp in my shooting practice. The outdoor range is 15 miles, so it forces me to use the indoor range (and that is limiting on what one can do, kind of like a dojo with only hand paddles but no punching bag.)

I train efficiently by doing alot of it right after work on the way home, no random driving for me! I always drive with a purpose and try to do as much in one drive as I can.

I used to drive motorcycles (gas is much cheeper as well is insurance.) Owned 3 of them. But my wife and mother both call them 'death machines' and are really unhappy if I get another one. All I'd have to do is sell a couple AR-15s (yea that will be the day) so you see I won't be getting one soon.

Deaf

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Higher prices on gasoline are affecting everything these days.

However, you do bring up an interesting point. There's a school about 25 miles away from ours, and there were several of the locals who would drive that distance to attend that school. Of course, with your average vehicle getting about 25 MPG, that means it costs about 8 bucks to drive that distance and back, just to train.

In the end, that costs the driver close a good bit of money that will cost at least 60 bucks, and in some cases, closer to 100 bucks.

That's a good chunk of change, and when people try to say "well, MY school only costs the students 50 dollars per month, while you're charging 75 dollars per month," suddenly, their arguments tend to ring a lot more hollow.

JBrainard

Senior Master
Reaction score
Lucky for me, the school I go to is on the way home from work. That being said, on the days that I have a couple of hours to kill before class, I take a nap in my car instead of spending the gas to drive home and then back out again.

Zeno

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'm one of the people in a very fortunate situation, where a dojo opened very close to home (not even a 10 minute drive). I'm not saying there aren't ANY dojos but that within that driving distance, but they're all either Karate or Tae Kwon Do. A Bujinkan dojo coming so close to home was a definite Godsend for me. But going nearly every day does mean that I'm visiting the pump a little more often, but nothing too bad.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
No, not for me, my dojo is only a mile away, if I weren't lazy, I could walk or bicycle it...

CrimsonPhoenix

Orange Belt
Reaction score
It's not any forseeable problem for me right now as my dojang is only about seventeen or so miles from my house. Though I can say that since prices of gas are rising so dramatically, when I'm allowed to start driving myself to class and paying for said gas with my money, then it will probably be a little tougher on me financially.

However, I do have the advantage in the fact that we aren't charged anything to come to class. Only if we want to buy belts and sparring gear and stuff do we have to pay. I guess paying for gas over there and back is like my monthly payment.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yep, it's beginning to affect mine. I live 30 minutes from work and 30 minutes from the dojo. On training days that's a lot of extra miles to be driving. We're looking at vehicles that get better mileage but really can't do anything 'til my wife finishes getting her state license testing done after graduation.

TallAdam85

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I know the gas prices are starting to hurt my pocket i spend around $45 bucks a week just going to my dojo and back 5 times a week. I wish the pres would help lower the cost.

Shicomm

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Living in a country with allmost the highest prices in the world ( about 14 bucks a gallon... ) is tough.
No wonder people over here start getting creative ;)

Diesel drivers mix up diesel fuel with veggie oil like crazy but the petrol heads need something else :)
A few months ago i started adding pure acetone to my fuel.
It's not wonderstuff but i do get about 10-15% more milage , with current prices it's more then worth it.

Currently on the look for a small diesel car that i can convert to run on 100% veggie oil.

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
For owners of schools, have you seen enrollment go down to to people trying to save money?

Huh, now that I think about it that might be part of the reason attendance is down where I train!

Fortunately for me I live just close enough that I am considering biking there twice a week (but only during the morning classes, when it's not rush hour).
My dh is in fact fixing up his bicycle this weekend so he can start biking to work a few times a week to save on gas. I do hope I can convince him to wear his helmet.

I was watching CNN this past weekend where analysts were saying by 2012 gas could hit $7/gallon... Could we see the beginning of internet MA classes?? (turn on your web cam to teach and be taught??) *i think I see a business right there. I am taking on partners*

Oh please God, no...

ktaylor75

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I and my children will continue driving the 10 miles to our dojo, 4 times a week to train, however, I will not be driving there an extra 2 times a week for the cardio kickboxing class (as much as it is a great workout). I have my own free-standing punching bag in my house, a copy of one of the p90x dvd's, and I just invested in Wii fit, so my cardio should be okay for a while.

Ninjamom

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
........Has the cost of gas affected anyone when it comes to training or even when it came to choosing a new school......?

In preparation for my black belt test, I had been taking private lessons with a very respected Master Instructor in the sword art i had been studying for four years (with the full blessing, consent, and encouragement of my original Instructor, of course). After my test, he began teaching me the material I would need for my second dan test. Unfortunately, his school was 102 miles from my home (curb-to-curb), and our family vehicle is a 12-passenger van, currently getting about 12 mpg.

There are no schools or instructors in this art anywhere closer. I am no longer taking lessons.

Monadnock

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I think the extra cost makes the time at the dojo all the more valuable. If you have to cut classes down, to offset gas costs, make the time count. Not bragging, but, I've travelled 500 miles round trip, per class, for 2 years because the training is worth it to me.

JoeW

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
My dojo is 20-25 min away going 3 times a week driving a Hemi Dodge Ram yeah I would say it is effecting me. If the price gets as high as they say it will it might really effect me.

chinto01

Black Belt
Reaction score
I am fortunate enough to have both dojos I attend to be within 7 miles from my house so I do not see the cost of gas interfering with my training. On the other hand I enjoy going to Okinawa to train once every couple of years and the way it looks if the cost of jet fuel takes a big hit then my next trip might be put on hold.

In the spirit of bushido!

Rob

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I haven't been to training in a while and while it's not because of gas, I'm trying to figure out how exactly I'm going to afford the gas to drive my full-time 4-wheel-drive SUV 35 miles one way to training twice (maybe more) per week.

Latest Discussions