Pushing and Pulling the Hips and Shoulders

hunschuld

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The poster has put up several videos and my questions are the same for each clip.

Perhaps my wing chun is just different than everyone else's or I have a different view but I have not seen anyone else comment on my questions.

Is this a proper stance?
Does this show proper use of the lower body.
Does this show proper use of the Kua or waist area?
Is this the proper use of the shoulder?
Is this showing proper use of the elbow?
Is this the correct position for chi sau?
Does forward energy= pushing?
Do you link and delink and if so is it shown in any of the clips?

OP
futsaowingchun

futsaowingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
The poster has put up several videos and my questions are the same for each clip.

Perhaps my wing chun is just different than everyone else's or I have a different view but I have not seen anyone else comment on my questions.

Is this a proper stance?
Does this show proper use of the lower body.
Does this show proper use of the Kua or waist area?
Is this the proper use of the shoulder?
Is this showing proper use of the elbow?
Is this the correct position for chi sau?
Does forward energy= pushing?
Do you link and delink and if so is it shown in any of the clips?
the simple answer is yes because it serves my purpose.

hunschuld

Blue Belt
Reaction score
the simple answer is yes because it serves my purpose.
I really wasn't looking for an answer from you. I was hoping to get feed back from others. You have been posting videos for many years your stance and body are always the same. It is a good that you share. It keeps boards and discussions alive. I have no doubt that you posts serve your purpose what ever that purpose may be.

The basic questions I asked still stand and I am interested if others see what I see. Or perhaps what I don't see and if it matters.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
I hate dissecting videos like this (I don't like to offend people, or pick on older instructor etc) but I'll say this in general, there's no real resistance here (or in any other videos) so as with most Wing Chun demos, it's a bit superficial on that front. It would be nice to see actual resistance. In most martial arts this involves more dynamic footwork than seen here. Think push hand competitions etc. Those players aren't standing up straight, they need to brace and use their lower body (this is essential to all Kung Fu styles).

A lot of Fut Sao demos and 2 man "sparring" out there suffer the same issues. Lots of hand movement, very little actual contact or resistance. Little core and lower body movement, which is important for real fighting. So to a guy like me, not as useful to watch other than for discussing concepts, rather than real application. And that's ...ok.

Compare to basic Judo demo, plenty of videos out there showing the same concepts shown here but under full resistance. If it works so well, it should be easy for a sifu to show the technique working against a non-compliant guy. Or, for students of his to spar and show the concept in action. There are Wing Chun schools out there that do not have a problem with that. More is better.

Last edited:
OP
futsaowingchun

futsaowingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
I hate dissecting videos like this (I don't like to offend people, or pick on older instructor etc) but I'll say this in general, there's no real resistance here (or in any other videos) so as with most Wing Chun demos, it's a bit superficial on that front. It would be nice to see actual resistance. In most martial arts this involves more dynamic footwork than seen here. Think push hand competitions etc. Those players aren't standing up straight, they need to brace and use their lower body (this is essential to all Kung Fu styles).

A lot of Fut Sao demos and 2 man "sparring" out there suffer the same issues. Lots of hand movement, very little actual contact or resistance. Little core and lower body movement, which is important for real fighting. So to a guy like me, not as useful to watch other than for discussing concepts, rather than real application. And that's ...ok.

Compare to basic Judo demo, plenty of videos out there showing the same concepts shown here but under full resistance. If it works so well, it should be easy for a sifu to show the technique working against a non-compliant guy. Or, for students of his to spar and show the concept in action. There are Wing Chun schools out there that do not have a problem with that. More is better.
sure, I understand about the resistance thing but am in teaching mode which is to teach or show something specific. If my student was to go all out then what am trying to show I would not probably apply. I would do or go on to some other move which would negate what i was trying to demo..

SifuBoza

Orange Belt
Reaction score
If you want to warm up shoulders before training, that is ok drill to do

Latest Discussions