Push-ups for punishment

RichK

Green Belt
Reaction score
How many out there use push-ups for punishment? Out of the four of us instuctors the school owner is retired military, I was medical discharged after 10 years, another medical discharged after 6 years and the fourth I think also 10. Anyway, the latter 3 of us do not believe in the push-ups for punishment but the school owner does. They are not my troops in the military. I also do not believe in the hands behind the head sit-ups as I have seen too many injuries from pulling on the head and neck region, plus that is one of my spine injuries. What is everyone else's stand?

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Depends on the tone of the school, in some it works, in others not. One of the great things about martial arts is there are huge differences between schools, people gravitate towards the ones that fit with them. There are going to be students that want the type of school that gives push ups as punishment ;)

Poor technique on strength training however is a "no" no matter what the school is like.

jsdduke

White Belt
Reaction score
I think the use of push-ups is OK. As long as the number is not excessive.The purpose should be to re-focus the individuals attention.It's just like parenting,there are two ways of discipline,weather you agree or not is totally subjective,physical punishment or removal of privelidges.Not one method is conducive to every person.

Shirt Ripper

Black Belt
Reaction score
I am not for the use of exercise in any form as punishment.

If the worst punishment you can give me is something which will likely do little outside of make me better than bring it on.

Fluffy

Black Belt
Reaction score
I was in a DCI drum corps and we used pushups as a treat. If we did a set correct we would pop out 20 or so.

I have found that pushups are not a great motivator for either adults or children. But young adults (teens) they work very well. Children, I use positive reinforcement. Adults tend to listen because they want to be there. If I have an ongoing issue with an adult, they are removed from training and asked not to return.

Sin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Ok...Punishment isn't a good word to use...Push up's when someone is out of line is a focusing tool...To get there mind back on the correct track...I usually say give me 10...if they talk back..I give them 5 more, and if I gotta geet to 25 and they keep talking...I'll throw them out...I don't want them there if they don't want to be there...now its all situational..and it all depends on it...but the push up aren't really a punishment...because we all need to do "more" and it helps them to get the mind back on track. The back talk only comes from my brother and sister which are in the class as well..my brother mostly due to the fact he's only 3 years younger than I...and theres always a competitive feeling to our training...which is good, it keeps us both going, and it completly friendly in every aspect..But sometimes when it comes to actual instruction of tech...He sometimes forgets whos in charge...hence the push-ups...

Aqua4ever

Blue Belt
Reaction score
For teens, push-ups are used. They work , and they also let the student gain strength and eventually more confidence in abilities (push-up wise at least)
We all hate them, so everyone tries to avoid them as punishment and only do the ones required for warm-up/cool-down!

~Aqua~

boricuatkd

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I don't see a problem with using push-ups as a method to redirect students' focus. As matter of fact, as an elementary school teacher I use in my classroom. Belive it or not it really works. Now mind you its not that you assign excessive number to do. But you assign enough that they will think about staying in line. An alternative could also be running laps. At our martial arts school we also have the kids go into pago when they step out of line.

Franc0

Purple Belt
Reaction score
We use pushups when we see a student who has a problem with relaxation and lack of control. Not so much as punishment, but more of a motivational challenge/reminder. Our group's view on this is they're happy to show off to their peers how well they can cleanly pump out the pushups when the instructor say's "drop and give me twenty!!". Though it might be metered out as a punishment for nailing their partner due to lack of control, it's never recieved as so.
Our reasoning with this is that we're making a student do pushups because they're so freakin' stiff, pushups will somewhat tax the muscles into relaxation. This becomes readily acceptable because I explain right from the start that when I see a student having difficulty towards certain movements/techniques because of extreme stiffness or nervous tension, they know they're made to do pushups to get them to relax. Also, knowing the physically strengthening aspects helps as well.
When it comes to dishing out pushups as punishment for something like a lack of discipline or respect, I prefer to just make them leave for the day to remind them that this is simply not tolerated.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
First Dojo I trained at used push ups and punishment..10 for those under black belt and 20 for black belts.. I wasn't bad, and since I hated doing push ups my concentration increased so I didn't get punished too often..

OP
R

RichK

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hehe, first school I was at in the early 80's our punishment was the shinai. But yes the word for what I see is punishment. I do push-ups myself on a regular basis being ex-military I am used to it. The scool owner has a friend that comes in for the childern's class (not our style), because he doesn't know what he is teaching he fills the time by telling looking for mistakes and tells the kids they are wrong at something and tells them or most of the time the whole class to do push-ups. Just about all childern can not do regular push-ups (we are talking about 7-12 yo) and drop to their knees or don't go down like most of the adults he starts ranting about that. Yes the three of us have voiced our oppinion to the school owner, but them being friends he overlooks the whole thing. Not looking for advice on that end, just wanted to know what everyone else's oppinion was.

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I really like using Stances as punishment, my kids do not but I think that they get a great result. If that doesn't work than I use push ups along with situps but on my count (ex 1-2-3-4 1,1-2-3-4 2......etc).

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It's amazing what putting a kid in a 2 minute horse stance can accomplish. :) After that, it's time for a short talk.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For kids, you may have to do this. For adults, I still feel that if punishment is necessary, there's a problem...

The MMA kid!

Green Belt
Reaction score
I use pushups for punishment, but in a different way. instead of stopping the class and telling the child to do push ups and watch him do it (to make sure he is not speeding through them) I simply tell them to get into "push-up position". I move the trouble child off to the corner and make sure that both his hands and feet are on the floor and that he has his/her back straight.
I then proceed teaching the class and pretend to forget about him (but still giving quick glances, making sure he/she is doing it correctly)

this works like putting a child in the corner because he/she is forced to stare at the ground, while having to deal with the burn in they're arms.

no actual pushups needed, most children will lose the proper form of the pushup after 15 or so and develope bad habits imo.

Fluffy

Black Belt
Reaction score
The MMA kid! said:
I use pushups for punishment, but in a different way. instead of stopping the class and telling the child to do push ups and watch him do it (to make sure he is not speeding through them) I simply tell them to get into "push-up position". I move the trouble child off to the corner and make sure that both his hands and feet are on the floor and that he has his/her back straight.
I then proceed teaching the class and pretend to forget about him (but still giving quick glances, making sure he/she is doing it correctly)

this works like putting a child in the corner because he/she is forced to stare at the ground, while having to deal with the burn in they're arms.

no actual pushups needed, most children will lose the proper form of the pushup after 15 or so and develope bad habits imo.

Yea, in the military we call that the "front leaning rest position". Try and hold it for 30 minutes.......then pop off 50. I think I got to 3 1/2.......and remember, "No Flagpoles"!

Fluffy

Black Belt
Reaction score
arnisador said:
Flagpoles?

When you get tired in that position, you tend to relax by sticking your butt in the air. How do I explain this? You could insert a flag in a certain oraphas (sp). Thus flagpoll.

Latest Discussions