Punches in WTF TKD

OP
S

SPX

Black Belt
Reaction score
How do they tell you to hit the makiwara? Do you hit it on the surface only, or do you bend the makiwara?

Since I'm brand new to the class they tell me not to hit it too hard. The black belts punch the hell out of it, though.

Also is it covered in rice rope or foam?

I'm a bit embarrassed that I can't answer your question, but I can tell you that it looks like this:

makiwaraFull.jpg

Oh, and on the subject of wadoryu, does the curriculum include a lot of joint locks, throws, or other jujitsu style techniques?

Again, I'm new to the class, so I need some time to get it all figured out. I do know that there are throws and sweeps. But from the way it's been described to me, the greatest jujutsu influence is actually not in the throws, but in the atemi waza concepts of striking to targets like the eyes, throat and groin.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
To tell you the truth, I don't know what itf is anymore. I will say that since the passing of General Choi, it has lost steam and fragmented and continues to fragment. Kukkiwon processes more poom and dan certificates in a year than itf has done since 1966 when it was founded.
Allow Me to tell You:
There are Three ITFs.

One of them is still SD Oriented.
One of them is a Sport.
The other is focused on all the wrong things whilst trying to be SD.

There are Independents who were ITF Practitioners until it broke apart a bit, who made their own Dojangs and Orgs.

This is not however relevant to the discussion, as the KKW being more Popular doesnt equate to the ITF not being TKD.

Ill say outright, I disagree with You. But, I Respect Your Opinion. I only ask that You provide a better Foundation for it :)
For example, what You said about the School Fight. Does that not make Kicking Advantageous? Yes it does. Does that mean all You should learn is Kicks? No.
If I were You, I would simply say that KKW WTF TKD has very good Kicking in it, and that You would like it to focus more on that element within that Organisation, and perfect that aspect further, instead of focusing on other things as well. And that Kicking is less common as a Fighting Tool is Western Society than others, and that it can offer a possible advantage to a Figher.

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes, but the ITF does exactly that--allows punches to the head--and it's still TKD is it not?

Someone posted on another board that they wish Taekwondo was still called Taesoodo and that way the two would be differently named martial arts. Although I consider ITF-Taekwon-doin my cousins (my fellow Kukki-Taekwondoin are my brothers), it would have been much simpler if the two main styles had different names.

I wonder how much technical similarity Kukki-Taekwondo shares with ITF Taekwon-do... We had common roots, but how far apart we are now is an interesting question. I'll have a stronger opinion when I meet up with an ITFer from here in a couple of months.

I was discussing this with an ITFer (another one, more junior) recently and came up with the analogy that KKW and ITF are like Tennis and Badminton. We both have similar techniques, with similar names - but there are some differences in techniques and a different delivery of power/speed used.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
My son scored 6 punch points in 3 matches at the recent Jr World Team trials. That Shotokan training is coming in handy. I saw allot of punches scored. It seems part of the game plan at many schools
that is a very good thing.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Someone posted on another board that they wish Taekwondo was still called Taesoodo and that way the two would be differently named martial arts. Although I consider ITF-Taekwon-doin my cousins (my fellow Kukki-Taekwondoin are my brothers), it would have been much simpler if the two main styles had different names.

Personally, I dont see what that would achieve. Why dont we take the Karate off the end of Kyokushin, Kenpo, and Shotokan?

I wonder how much technical similarity Kukki-Taekwondo shares with ITF Taekwon-do... We had common roots, but how far apart we are now is an interesting question. I'll have a stronger opinion when I meet up with an ITFer from here in a couple of months.

Theres quite alot in common, but also plenty thats different. Its mostly the Training Method thats different. And no, im not pulling the whole Sport-MA Stereotype :)

I was discussing this with an ITFer (another one, more junior) recently and came up with the analogy that KKW and ITF are like Tennis and Badminton. We both have similar techniques, with similar names - but there are some differences in techniques and a different delivery of power/speed used.

Not really. Power is generated in the Hips, theres a variety of Hand, Food, Arm, Leg, Body and Head Strikes, all the other stuff I wont take the time to list, and theres generally more of a focus on Forwards Movement. Its just different interpretations of the same Idealogy.
*nods

Latest Discussions