Public recognition

LongTao2

White Belt
Reaction score
Yes indeed Ma'am I have received a token of sorts: My instructor presented me with a pair of Sai on an the day I was given Instructor status. I've devoted much time to learning how to use this gift. Though I must admit that was the only occasion I can recall that such an event took place. It truly is a rare honor. Congrats!

- that young II Dan

OP
Kacey

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes indeed Ma'am I have received a token of sorts: My instructor presented me with a pair of Sai on an the day I was given Instructor status. I've devoted much time to learning how to use this gift. Though I must admit that was the only occasion I can recall that such an event took place. It truly is a rare honor. Congrats!

- that young II Dan

So you wandered in, did you? Please post in the Meet & Greet!

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Does getting a new belt rank count?

That is a good point bookworm! Belt presentations happen more often, but are just as important for the individual student. I think those of us who are black belts have to really think back sometimes to remember how exciting it was to get a new belt as a color belt ranking student. Remembering how we like to be recognized helps us recognize others. For example, when a student receives a green belt, to me it is just another green belt that I could easily just hand to them. But when I take the time to tie the belt on them for the first time, tell them what the belt symbolizes and how they are going to grow during that rank and tell them how proud of them I am then it really becomes SOMETHING. It is remembering how cool it was to get a new belt when I was a color belt student that motivates me to make it just as big of a deal for my students.

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am a huge believer in giving people recognition as a morale matter, and have done it in both military and government areas. Many would be suprised at just how much an Army Achievemnt Medal, a certificate of appreciation or even a simple card means.

That said, this award Kacey received goes beyond the ordinary 'well done'.... as does the katana another of you mentioned. These denote recognition of truly exceptional martial accomplishment. Both of you must be valued in your organizations as extraordinary martial artists.

I have never received such things in the MA - - - nor would I honestly say I deserve to. Few do. All I can conclude is: :asian:

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
As Grydth has pointed out these sorts of gifts go above and beyond any recognition engendered in a ranking system. This good old fashioned master and apprentice stuff. It denotes a very strong acknowledgement of determination and dedication.

I have a question though. The gifts that have been mentioned - tanto, katana, sai and the like are all culturally Japanese. How do people feel about this? Are there Korean equivalents that have a similar cultural significance?

I have always felt that a gift of this nature should be two things. It should be appropriate to the circumstance and it should be significant to the activity. Am I being clear, I'm not sure?