Psychological preparation for combat

Joab

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
How do you best instill the proper mindset for combat? Knowing the mechanics of techniques is not enough, and from experience I can write that being attacked on the street is completely different from sparring in a dojo. When attacked on the street there is an almost unimaginable level of stress brought on, and really in my case, any martial arts training went out the window, I went more caveman, and luckily my would be mugger was very high on drugs and not very professional (That's an understatement) I prevailed more from luck than any previous training.

How do you instill the proper combat mindset so that you are able to react properly when attacked on the street? All opinions appreciated.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
How do you best instill the proper mindset for combat? Knowing the mechanics of techniques is not enough, and from experience I can write that being attacked on the street is completely different from sparring in a dojo. When attacked on the street there is an almost unimaginable level of stress brought on, and really in my case, any martial arts training went out the window, I went more caveman, and luckily my would be mugger was very high on drugs and not very professional (That's an understatement) I prevailed more from luck than any previous training.

How do you instill the proper combat mindset so that you are able to react properly when attacked on the street? All opinions appreciated.

While we probably won't be able to replicate things the exact way they'll play out, we can, with the right training, get pretty close. I'll use this as an example. I've never taken one of those classes, however, as it was said, with the right mindset and equipment, it should be pretty easy to replicate.

The goal is to trick the mind into thinking that what you're facing is in fact a legit attack, not a relaxed dojo setting. The 'attacker' really needs to simulate a badguy, and if this means that he needs to swear, call the defender names, push them, get in their face, etc., then so be it. All the more realistic for the training. :) The attacks need to be realistic. That means no pulled punches, if a choke is being applied, the attacker needs to have his hands around the neck and squeeze, not give a shoulder massage.

All things considered, that should be a pretty good start.

suicide

Black Belt
Reaction score
ive noticed that when you least expect it is when your really ready for any type of combat its better to react than to think and think :jediduel:

Sandstorm

Green Belt
Reaction score
I agree with MJS. You need to introduce high stress situations/simulations into the teaching. As most people are really uncomfortable with this, I teach a seperate class for 30 mins on that specific training. It's really intense and can get hairy, so I would recommend using extreme caution when doing it, and make sure your students are comfortable doing the exercise. It's very stressful in itself, confronting a violent situation once in a blue moon, let alone on a regular basis (even if it is only training).

The average person will never be 'psychologically prepared' for a street confrontation. Even a trained person will struggle to come to terms with exactly what is going on as it happens, as these things are often so quick, it's your animal instinct to survive that will dominate your initial reaction. There will be elements of training in your response if you have trained regularly for a long period or especially in 'real' training, but overall, it will be messy, quick and bloody frightening.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I agree with Sandstorm that the average person will never be fully prepared. However; I do know from personal experience that if one's awareness is where it's supposed to be in relation to the area that one finds themselves in that the psychological preparedness will be shortened or already in motion as one uses their awareness to assess their situation.
Many are not expecting an attack and most attacks are from ambushes rather than straight on. Expecting the unexpected helps reduce the stress level and minimizes or eliminates the element of surprise.
It's better to be wrong about someone that you think might attack you than ignoring the possibility and marking them as just another average joe on the street.
Having items of personal self defense ready on hand at a moments notice likewise goes a long way to reducing the stress factor. It's there and you know you can get to it and you can rely on your training to help you utilize it to it's full effectiveness.

You cannot know 100% of the time when/where an attack will come from. But there are ways to increase the percentage to your favor.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

You can simulate, but never duplicate, the mind set for survival. The military does it, law enforcement comes close. The reason I say military first is because they have total control over you. Your butt is theirs throughout combat training, as it is in the LE academy. I feel that the most important part of your training is to never give up. You're made to do things with no visible way out, where quitting is not an option. Running, push ups, sit ups, until you can’t do any more, and you want to quit, where at that point, you have to reach way down inside yourself to survive, with extreme militaristic discipline added for good measure. Once the base has been set, and your mind-set for survival has been established, the vessel, you, are ready, then comes the technique training. Some DoJo’s come close, but they are the garage type, or the cellar ones, where you take it, or go somewhere else. This type of training is not for everyone, as well as the abuse also. There is no suing involved if you break something, no kind words if you catch a hard shot. For those of you that have been there, you know what I am saying. For those that have not, or have a speck of doubt about you techniques, let it be known, it is the person that will never give up, to watch out for, the good techniques are just an edge. :asian:

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
i like to randomly attack my students.

i never thought about it helping them, it's just something i like to do.

jf

LawDog

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
One must be trained to understand the basic facts that,
*your going to be hit,
*it is going to hurt,
*there will be no one there to stop it, your alone.
Today many martial artists will not train using mild to heavy contact and there is someone around who can stop the sparring matches. They will say that they didn't come to the dojo to get hit or to get hurt. Think of their mind set here.

One must accept the fact that your going to get hit, its going to hurt and, in most cases, be willing to stand your ground,(alone).

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I started a similar thread on Kenpotalk yesterday and have gotten a different kind of response.

http://kenpotalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9076

-Rob

Yes, you're right, it did generate a different kind of reponse. I kinda equate this to crosstraining. Sure, each art will probably give you an example of weapons, grappling, etc., but if you wish to expand on a particular area, you may need to look outside of the box. Same thing here. Its one thing to do techniques in the dojo, even if the other guy is really trying to punch you, choke you etc., but that is only 1 part of the puzzle. The mindset needs to be there.

As for the other thread....well, I've had my share of people cringe at the thought of poking someones eye and all of the other nasty Kenpo things we do. :) IMHO, while all those things may not be necessary, I find it interesting how there was a few that found those things unnecessary. Why? I'm not advocating ending every situation with an eye gouge, nor am I advocating that those things are fight enders, as it seems like that is the first thing that people say..."If I end up in the mount, I'll poke his eyes, rip his groin...." and thats fine, but again, its only 1 part of the puzzle, and yes, we shouldn't have to rely on just those things to win.

However, that doesn't mean that we need to disregard them either. :)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

jf

:rofl: this just tickled my funny bone! I now have visions of you attacking them as in the Pink Panther films (with Peter Sellars of course)

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

jf

Random punches at them while in line to strike or kick the bag?

How random is it?

I just the random jsut talking before or after class and even in class to strike at them to see if they are paying attention.

I also like to do it when they are paired off with someone else and sparring or semi sparring (* controlled and possible with patterns but has intent *) and then I hit them from the side whiel I am engaged. This helps my timing, but also gets them to pay attention to other around them so they are not tunnel vision on their opponent.

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Watch "The 300' 50 times. That will prepare anyone...

Deaf

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
Random punches at them while in line to strike or kick the bag?

How random is it?

I just the random jsut talking before or after class and even in class to strike at them to see if they are paying attention.

I also like to do it when they are paired off with someone else and sparring or semi sparring (* controlled and possible with patterns but has intent *) and then I hit them from the side whiel I am engaged. This helps my timing, but also gets them to pay attention to other around them so they are not tunnel vision on their opponent.

well it's a grappling class, so usually blindside tackles, jumping on them while they're resting, sneaking in a choke while they're talking to someone, that sort of thing. usually before & after class.

jf

FieldDiscipline

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
While we probably won't be able to replicate things the exact way they'll play out, we can, with the right training, get pretty close. I'll use this as an example. I've never taken one of those classes, however, as it was said, with the right mindset and equipment, it should be pretty easy to replicate.

The goal is to trick the mind into thinking that what you're facing is in fact a legit attack, not a relaxed dojo setting. The 'attacker' really needs to simulate a badguy, and if this means that he needs to swear, call the defender names, push them, get in their face, etc., then so be it. All the more realistic for the training. :) The attacks need to be realistic. That means no pulled punches, if a choke is being applied, the attacker needs to have his hands around the neck and squeeze, not give a shoulder massage.

All things considered, that should be a pretty good start.

Geoff Thompson wrote an interesting book ont he subject, called Animal Day. Its not very big, and you could probably come up with the idea yourself with some thought, but its good. He also has some DVDs on the subject I believe. The book is on Amazon I think, or here.

You can simulate, but never duplicate, the mind set for survival. The military does it, law enforcement comes close. The reason I say military first is because they have total control over you. Your butt is theirs throughout combat training, as it is in the LE academy. I feel that the most important part of your training is to never give up. You're made to do things with no visible way out, where quitting is not an option. Running, push ups, sit ups, until you can’t do any more, and you want to quit, where at that point, you have to reach way down inside yourself to survive, with extreme militaristic discipline added for good measure. Once the base has been set, and your mind-set for survival has been established, the vessel, you, are ready, then comes the technique training. Some DoJo’s come close, but they are the garage type, or the cellar ones, where you take it, or go somewhere else. This type of training is not for everyone, as well as the abuse also. There is no suing involved if you break something, no kind words if you catch a hard shot. For those of you that have been there, you know what I am saying. For those that have not, or have a speck of doubt about you techniques, let it be known, it is the person that will never give up, to watch out for, the good techniques are just an edge. :asian:

All of the above is great. In particular I agree with the bold bit.

*your going to be hit,
*it is going to hurt,
Today many martial artists will not train using mild to heavy contact and there is someone around who can stop the sparring matches. They will say that they didn't come to the dojo to get hit or to get hurt. Think of their mind set here.

One must accept the fact that your going to get hit, its going to hurt and, in most cases, be willing to stand your ground,(alone).

That about sums it up IMHO.

OP
J

Joab

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
*your going to be hit,
*it is going to hurt,

Some systems like American Combato believe their system is to dangerous to have any contact at all. When I asked American Combato founder and Shiian, Bradley J.Steiner why there is no contact, he said because the techniques in American Combato would cause death or injury even with pads. To be fair to Professor Steiner, he does a good job with mental conditioning for combat, the time I was attacked and went caveman was before I took American Combato. I'm better prepared now, but nobody has attacked me since than, no way of knowing how well prepared I am until that happens, not hoping it does happen of course...

Sandstorm

Green Belt
Reaction score
Some systems like American Combato believe their system is to dangerous to have any contact at all. When I asked American Combato founder and Shiian, Bradley J.Steiner why there is no contact, he said because the techniques in American Combato would cause death or injury even with pads. ...

Oh dear.

To be fair to Professor Steiner, he does a good job with mental conditioning for combat, the time I was attacked and went caveman was before I took American Combato. I'm better prepared now, but nobody has attacked me since than, no way of knowing how well prepared I am until that happens, not hoping it does happen of course...

To be fair to 'Proffessor Steiner', he's got his students milked. I mean, seriously. No contact is fine if that's the way you want to teach or be taught, but telling a pile of horse **** for a reason against strikes........

I apologise for the profanity, but in this case I feel it's needed, much like a wake-up call to 'Proffessor Steiner's' students. I don't know the guy and I can only go by what you just said here, so it's not a personal attack on him, just an observation that smacks of someone who likes to big-up the MA's and shroud them in mystery to make a few bucks.
Contact is Vital for surviving an attack IMO. Jedi Mind tricks won't prepare your muscle response system or your psychological disadvantage that you will certainly have when being assaulted.

Just my personal opinion. And along with that opinion, if you are serious about Self Defence, I would seriously consider an alternative instructor. Again, just my humble opinion.

Kind regards
John