How combat stress effects the body

Dominic Jones

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Dear all

I am interested in how the body reacts to combat situations. Some authors call the body`s reaction the Adrenal dumpE Survival Stress Reaction (SRR)E(Any other terms for it?)

Follow the link to Darren Laur's article The Anatomy Of Fear And How It Relates To Survival Skills TrainingE

http://stickgrappler2.tripod.com/street/anatfear.html

I enjoyed the article especially as it contained a blend of pure and action research. It also included References for further reading.

After reading the article the following questions spring to mind:
1: How can you recognize someone who is experiencing the Survival Stress Reaction (SRR). For example, blood flows away from the surface of the body, so their face pales.

2: Does the learning of multiple techniques, slow reaction time according to Hicks LawE

3: Is the goal of martial art training to avoid the body reacting OR controlling the bodys reaction OR so allowing the bodys reaction to control you?

A huge topic I know but any and all views welcomed!

Cheers Dom asian:
:

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I haven't the time to read the aricle this morning, I will do so this afternoon, but I don't believe it is the goal of MAist to avoid the bodies reaction. I think for one it is nearly impossible to avoid a chemical reaction in the brain and body to any true self-defense situation. Plus, it is there to aid you, use it to your advantage. The adrenaline can really turn the tide to your favor even gainst "better" or bigger opponants.

7sm

Latest Discussions