Proud mom post :)

ShelleyK

Brown Belt
Reaction score
My daughter is totally into TKD! Im loving it...SHE'S loving it! She is currently a green belt and one of the best in her belt level! Sh constantly gets picked to demonstrate roundhouse kicks to other students...when she first started I knew...and Im not biased either...that she was a horrible student LOL! no focus, and she farted around way too much. Then she got her yellow belt and something in her changed! Not sure what it was...maybe the fact that I helped her so much in learning her new form, maybe it was that she can "be like mom" now...whatever the reason, my kid LOVES martial arts!
This past weekend we had a Karate Kid fest! LOL She was yelling at the TV saying Kick his butt .... Yahhh!! And more...

She has just turned 8 years ol this past January and before this sport she loved swimming...she still does but she is SO dedicated to TKD that she put off swimming for now! My kid trains maybe more than I do...well right now she does since Im out with an injury....3 times a week she trains 2 times a day and sometimes practices in between classes in one of the other training rooms! On Thursdays she trains 2 times a day AND takes a kids sparring class! I have a feeling that she is going to go far with this sport! She is SO eager to learn and to do the tournaments and the instructors always tell me how amazed they are at her didication and willingness to keep trying and learning!
Here are 3 shots from her January green stripe test :)

IMG_0538copy.jpg

IMG_0523copy.jpg

IMG_0521copy.jpg

OP
ShelleyK

ShelleyK

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Excellent! Nice pictures. Her back stance is very good!

Daniel

Thanks! Thats one thing that I really drill her on because i know MY stances are horrible LOL! She works SO hard on her form and everything that goes with it and she WANTS to be a good example to other students. :)

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Thanks! Thats one thing that I really drill her on because i know MY stances are horrible LOL! She works SO hard on her form and everything that goes with it and she WANTS to be a good example to other students. :)
Her hard work shows. Most kids that I see, especially under green belt, tend to have poorly defined stances. One of my masters a while back said that he specifically looked at student's back stances because the quality of that stance in particular (in his opinion) was a strong indicator of the quality of the student. He said that when he inherited black belt or high colored belt students from other schools, that was the first thing that he looked at. He said that if your back stance was lousy then you had no business wearing a black belt.

Also, her double knife hand block is quite good as well. Her back hand is chambered correctly and her leading hand is actually blocking and not just waving like I have seen with a lot of kids over the years (some adults too).

Having said that, your daughter's back stance is very good without any qualification, and excellent for a youngster under green belt (at the time the photo was taken at least).

And kudos to you for drilling her and helping her to excel!

Daniel

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Terrific my friend, I know ehat you feel about your daughter doing TKD, my youngest daughter Ana also did some TKD and when she did her yellow belt examn I was there and I enjoyed it, and yes I felt very proud, sadly ana droped TKD a few weeks before (till I have the pics of the examination) giving arguments about he was bored and I acpeted this but I still having expectations Ana will return some day to the MA path.

Manny