Check out the publicity for Kenpo Joe

G

GouRonin

I have met Joe a few times and he seems like a great guy and he does know a lot of stuff but 14 black belts in different styles in 33 years seems like a lot. Is Joe a prodigy? Am I being petty here? Joe, my apologies if I sound like a jerk ok?
:asian:

M

meni

Originally posted by GouRonin

I have met Joe a few times and he seems like a great guy and he does know a lot of stuff but 14 black belts in different styles in 33 years seems like a lot. Is Joe a prodigy? Am I being petty here? Joe, my apologies if I sound like a jerk ok?

yes . it just you let pepole be!

G

GouRonin

Originally posted by tarabos
Gou: now you've made me almost pee my pants...

Me am be glad that you am thinking me be funny!
:shrug:

OP
kenpo3631

kenpo3631

Black Belt
Reaction score
Well GD,

Let me preface my reply by saying that I have known Joe rebelo since 1986. He is a good guy with a big heart and indeed he has a love for the Arts.

I feel that the author of the article used a great deal of "poetic license" when writing his article. To have 14 black belts is a great accomplishment. To be proficient in 14 different systems/styles, well... my opinion, I think that it would be extremely difficult. As far as "being accepted as a student of the great Ed Parker" I think the author either mistook what Joe might have told him or again, took poetic license in his writing. As far as I know Mister Rebelo is not a first generation black belt under Ed Parker, nor do I claim to know what type of conversations Mr. Rebelo had with Mr. Parker. As far as the claims in the article of being stabbed, shot at, etc., all I can vouch for is the scar he describes on his neck. On a more positive Mr. Rebelo does do good things in the community he lives in and continues to promote the arts in his own way. For that I have allot of respect for him.

That's what I think Mr. Conatser...:asian: :D

tarabos

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
the person who wrote the article has probably embellished it a little here.

it's comparable to when you go out with a friend and he or she talks you up to be some ninja master action movie hero that can kill you three times before you hit the ground. it's happened to me on more than one occassion, and it's always a little embarassing. i'm sure everyone here knows what i'm talking about.

the part in the article about sizing up his weak poits and what not while they shook hands...that's what that seemed like.

not going to take one thing away from Mr. Rebelo, i don't know him, never seen him move...can't make any opinion on him. but anytime i hear someone is an expert (which is what a black belt is right?) in 14 different styles...i have to raise an eyebrow.

but like i said...it's most likely embellishment on the author's part, and for all i know Mr. Rebelo cringed a little when he read some of the things written about him. there's only one man that can set things straight...:D

KENPOJOE

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by GouRonin

Dear Gou,
First of all, you're not being a jerk. You've got a good question so i'll answer it! First of all, am I a prodigy, could be! I have a high IQ [162 in High School] and a photographic memory, so it helps in relationship to remembering different techniques and styles. I have ranks in 14 arts, but that does not mean I practice all of them presently. I have the ranks,certificates, testamonials,material and in most cases, the phone numbers of most of the individuals who promoted me to the various degrees i hold [unless those individuals are now deceased, of course]
Thanks for asking!
BEGOOD,
KENPOJOE

K

Kirk

Kewl of you to reply to the answers, Sir! And kewl of you not to
take offense! :asian:

KENPOJOE

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by kenpo3631

Let me preface my reply by saying that I have known Joe rebelo since 1986. He is a good guy with a big heart and indeed he has a love for the Arts.

I feel that the author of the article used a great deal of "poetic license" when writing his article. To have 14 black belts is a great accomplishment. To be proficient in 14 different systems/styles, well... my opinion, I think that it would be extremely difficult. As far as "being accepted as a student of the great Ed Parker" I think the author either mistook what Joe might have told him or again, took poetic license in his writing. As far as I know Mister Rebelo is not a first generation black belt under Ed Parker, nor do I claim to know what type of conversations Mr. Rebelo had with Mr. Parker. As far as the claims in the article of being stabbed, shot at, etc., all I can vouch for is the scar he describes on his neck. On a more positive Mr. Rebelo does do good things in the community he lives in and continues to promote the arts in his own way. For that I have allot of respect for him.

Thanks for the words of support,Lance.

I've known Lance since he was a white belt at a studio I opened with My fellow Kenpo Black Belt and the man who brought American Kenpo to New Bedford,Massachusetts, Mr. Leo Lacerte, who,BTW, was the man who awarded Lance his Black Belt. As a matter of fact, I even have video of a demo we were going to do at the studio showing lance demonstrating![boy, am I old!]

As far as the "poetic license" used in the article, I too was worried about how the article would come out as well, but, all in all, it was fairly well written.But, regarding my ranks, no mistake was made.

In regards to my various ranks and degrees, that was earned over 34 years of study, and as mentioned in previous posts on this subject, i trained in different arts at different times in my life,with study in several arts simultaneously. I would often hear people say to me "but, don't you get them confused?" simply stated,no, i don't. There are different arts and their curriculums are fairly diverse for the most part. Also, take into account that some arts curriculum are fairly limited or do not have a lot of material in their given art, therefore the ability to progress is shorter. Also, having vast experience in other related arts gives an individual the ability to learn the material at an accelerated rate.
In regards to "generation" status, I have never claimed to be a first generation black belt in Mr. Parker's system. However, I made an active point of following Mr. Parker to every seminar,workshop, or instructors camp he held in New England of the last 7 years of his life. I was almost always used as a "Kenpo dummy" for every seminar that I attended. That was for several reasons that I will elaborate on if requested to do so. The simple truth is, I was the guy who would always ask the questions at the seminar meny times because I really wanted answers and information!
In relation to any of my other ranks or accolades, simply ask me and i'll provide the answers and information.

Once again,Lance, thank you for mentioning the article and reading it!
Good luck in Bosnia!
BEGOOD,
KENPOJOE:soapbox: "Getting off my soapbox now!"www.rebeloskenpokarate.com

KENPOJOE

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Hi Folks,
since all of you are talking about me...
Check out the November 2002 issue of "TaeKwonDo Times" Page 20 [on newstands now!] and see a press release about the WCAF[World Combat Arts Federation] Kenpo Camp featuring myself as one of the instructors! I'm also the Massachusetts WCAF Rep! Check out www.thewcaf.com for more info!
"Gee, another title i have to explain to people!" LOL!!!
BEGOOD,
KENPOJOE:rofl:

Latest Discussions