Professor Halbuna

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
This one is for John Bishop or whoever wishes to comment. I have seen this man's name come up a few different places, but nothing much is said. He was Kajukenbo, but who did he train with and what "style" of Kajukenbo did he teach? I hate loose ends, so I thought I would ask those here who would know. Thanks.

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well I was going to say to check out the "Who's Who" section at the Kajukenbo Cafe, but it appears that S.G.M. Halbuna's bio was one of the files that was lost in one of our many server problems.

Here's a link to his bio until I can get one back on the Cafe:
http://www.usadojo.com/martial-artists-biographies/martial-artist-joseph-halbuna.htm

His most senior students would be GM Max Togisala, GM Bob Mashmieir, and GM Thomas Mitose, to name a few.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Big Pat said:
Jose M. Fraguas in his book The Masters Speak has a ten page Q/A with S.G.M. Joseph Halbuna. Mr. Halbuna is referred to as one of the "hard way" Kajukenbo teachers. You can also read more about him @ www.pckilohana.com/passings.htm.

EKP RIP
Big Pat

I noticed on the page a mention of "Kimo's" passing as well. Hadn't seen him in about 7/8 years. He frequented the Jiujitsu class of Dave Belman at the Torrance YMCA (Southern Cal) along with Dom and Helen Corollo. I was there often and enjoyed my interaction with Kimo. A nice man. I've been lucky to know so many greats.