Determining the credintials of an instructor?

AriesKai

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys (and gals), thanks for taking the time to read this thread. Hopefully someone (preferably Professor John Bishop.. hehe) could provide me with some accurate and helpful information.

So, I have found the martial art that I feel that I have longed for: Kajukenbo.
My reasons I will keep to myself unless asked for; but I now have the trouble of finding the right school.
Now I have taken the advice of Professor Bishop and have sought out a school, but my trouble is determining whether the instructor is really an instructor of the art, or not. Does that seem a wee bit too paranoid? I hope not. I feel that if I'm going to take the time to visit an instructor at his school, he must be the real deal.
I've found this school.
The details on this school includes:

The School Name: Texas Kajukenbo Ohana
The Instructor: Jesse Escobedo - 7th Degree Black Belt
The Assistant Instructor: Perry Lindsey
The Description: "Original Method Kajukenbo - Under GM Angel Garcia Soldado"

and a couple of other details, like the location, class times, and contact information.

If this individual is truly a 7th Dan in Original Method Kajukenbo, then that only leaves me with one question: Is "GM Angel Garcia Soldado" as good in the art of Kajukenbo as he should be? Who IS Angel Garcia Soldado?? I can't even find anything on wikipedia about this man. The only thing that i've found are these videos:

(i really liked this one ->)

And this vid is of an alleged allumni of Angel Garcia Soldado:

I feel that after watching Angel Garcia Soldado's videos, he appears to be very "blocky" and doesn't flow enough as it was explained by Professor John Bishop in his "Concepts" videos. He doesn't seem to flow naturally, but very stiffly...
But what do I know?

Anyone care to explain?

Also, how do I figure out if an instructor is telling the truth about where his Kajukenbo lineage comes from?

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
A

AriesKai

Green Belt
Reaction score
Please note everyone: I am looking for an instructor at around the caliber of Professor John Bishop.
To me, Mr. Bishop is the best thing since sliced bread! (no pun intended. really!)

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
While I am no John Bishop, I do concur with Carol. Train with this guy a little and see if you're comfortable. I'm of the mind that nearly anyone with more training than I have is worth learning from, initially.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey guys (and gals), thanks for taking the time to read this thread. Hopefully someone (preferably Professor John Bishop.. hehe) could provide me with some accurate and helpful information.

My reasons I will keep to myself unless asked for; but I now have the trouble of finding the right school.
Now I have taken the advice of Professor Bishop and have sought out a school, but my trouble is determining whether the instructor is really an instructor of the art, or not. Does that seem a wee bit too paranoid? I hope not. I feel that if I'm going to take the time to visit an instructor at his school, he must be the real deal.
I've found this school.

and a couple of other details, like the location, class times, and contact information.

If this individual is truly a 7th Dan in Original Method Kajukenbo, then that only leaves me with one question: Is "GM Angel Garcia Soldado" as good in the art of Kajukenbo as he should be? Who IS Angel Garcia Soldado?? I can't even find anything on wikipedia about this man. The only thing that i've found are these videos:

I feel that after watching Angel Garcia Soldado's videos, he appears to be very "blocky" and doesn't flow enough as it was explained by Professor John Bishop in his "Concepts" videos. He doesn't seem to flow naturally, but very stiffly...
But what do I know?

Anyone care to explain?

Also, how do I figure out if an instructor is telling the truth about where his Kajukenbo lineage comes from?

Here is a little on GM Garcia

http://kajukenbo.com/cafe/index.php?topic=131.0

Keep in mind, that there are various branches/methods of Kajukenbo, so you will most likely see a variety of different types of movement.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Not sure how far this school is from you, but I've head good things about Dean as well.
http://www.austinkarate.net/staff.html

Of course, even if it meant driving a bit, if its something you're interested in doing, it'd be well worth it.

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There are many instructors in Kajukenbo senior to me in experience, and superior to me in teaching ability. I consider Angel Garcia to be one of these instructors.
I don't know Jessie Escobedo very well, and have only talked to him a few times. I've never observed or experienced his teaching, like I have with Angel. Your going to have to investigate his school and see if it's what your looking for.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

I've found this school.

But what do I know?

Anyone care to explain?

So, out of curiosity, how is the search for a Kaju school going? Have you looked into any of the links that were provided?

J Ellis

Green Belt
Reaction score
I liked the clips I saw. Just because he isn't rushing through technique demonstrations doesn't mean he doesn't flow. When he picked up the pace, you could see the fluidity was there.

Good power too.

Joel

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Any luck finding a Kaju school? I thought for sure we'd hear something, seeing that you posted that you were looking for a school, and then that you found a new love, with Kaju.

Entryteam

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
wow... can that guy move well....

just...wow

I've found this school.

But what do I know?

Anyone care to explain?

SpaceGhost

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello Mr. AriesKai,
I'm still teaching here in Arlington, Texas in the garage :) feel free to come by. My class schedule is on Tuesday and Thursday from 7pm - 8:30pm. I don't log on to this site hardly, but you can find me on the KAJUKENBO cafe. My email address is [email protected]

Regards,
Jessie Escobedo

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hello Mr. AriesKai,
I'm still teaching here in Arlington, Texas in the garage :) feel free to come by. My class schedule is on Tuesday and Thursday from 7pm - 8:30pm. I don't log on to this site hardly, but you can find me on the KAJUKENBO cafe. My email address is [email protected]

Regards,
Jessie Escobedo

Just an FYI...the member in question is no longer a member of this forum. Not sure if he lurks or not, however, given his apparent inability to actually take any advice that was given to him, I'd actually be shocked if you saw him at your class.

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
is the last vid original method? It flows differently from what I have seen in the past...or is it just the man's personal flow...he moves very well...really excellent structural integrity maintained

Latest Discussions