Problems with "Bloodsport"

ed-swckf

Black Belt
Reaction score
i found both films entertaining, i am not a big jcvd fan though, but i'd watch it if its on tv and i have nothing better to do. I don't think the story telling or plot line of either of these films was anything spectacular but they were both great action films and the story was strong enough to keep the films together and flowing well. The thing you have to remember is competition has always been intertwined with martial arts and numerous films show this, its no big supprise.

OP
S

sifu nick

Ya don't hear to much about good ole Frank Dux these days. Then again not too much outta Jean Fraud Van Damme either. Neither one can back up their claims. Van Damme claims to come to the U.S penniless but in fact had plenty of cash and the sole purpose of being a movie star. Also once claimed to be a WAKO World Kickboxing Champion yet I've spoken to the heads of WAKO and they say that's also not true. No wonder why these two were once friends. Birds of a feather....

Kenpoist

Green Belt
Reaction score
Bolo Young was in both movies and the same line was used after a board/brick was broken during the movie - "nice trick but boards/bricks don't hit back".

Randy Strausbaugh

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
shaolinchi said:
I haven't really seen any movies that are similar to Enter the Dragon, if you would like you can name a few, maybe I can check them out.
Try "Force Five" starring Joe Lewis, Benny Urquidez, and Bong Soo Han.

kickillustrated

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Ya don't hear to much about good ole Frank Dux these days. Then again not too much outta Jean Fraud Van Damme either. Neither one can back up their claims. Van Damme claims to come to the U.S penniless but in fact had plenty of cash and the sole purpose of being a movie star. Also once claimed to be a WAKO World Kickboxing Champion yet I've spoken to the heads of WAKO and they say that's also not true. No wonder why these two were once friends. Birds of a feather....
JCVD never competed in a WAKO world championship. He called Mike Anderson one time, back then WAKO president and promoter of the world championships 1979, to send him a letter of confirmation about his participation in the event, but Anderson denied his request.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
The tooth fairy is real, as is Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny. They're all one in the same, otherwise known as Dad.
The expression is "one and the same" and they are not necessarily one and the same. Nor is it always Dad. So... a swing and a miss. But keep trying.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The problem with Bloodsport is that it really really really really REALLY sucked. One of the worst movies ever made. It is unwatchable. I tried, a few weeks ago. Couldn’t get past about the first ten minutes.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
The problem with Bloodsport is that it really really really really REALLY sucked. One of the worst movies ever made. It is unwatchable. I tried, a few weeks ago. Couldn’t get past about the first ten minutes.
Pretty much a classic of the genre.

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, but this one, I mean it was just really bad. A cringey moment every moment. If ever there was a movie that shouldn’t have been made, it’s this one.
It seems like most 80's martial arts movies are pretty "bad" by modern standards but I still watch and enjoy them. A couple of notable stand outs are: The Karate Kid, and the Best of the Best. I love both of these movies, they aren't perfect, but what is?

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well without Bloodsport we would never have learned the truth about ninjutsu, dim mak, or the effectiveness of blinding powder in full contact competition (it's very effective, unless your opponent is a ninja)

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It seems like most 80's martial arts movies are pretty "bad" by modern standards but I still watch and enjoy them. A couple of notable stand outs are: The Karate Kid, and the Best of the Best. I love both of these movies, they aren't perfect, but what is?
I can get behind that sentiment, which is why we tried to watch it again recently. But I found it to be utterly unwatchable.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Speaking of best of the best, Eric Roberts was in a fencing movie that wasn’t too bad. By the Sword. Not a movie that gets made today, I don’t think.

This movie was basically Top Gun, but with fencing instead of Tomcats.

Latest Discussions