Prison Overcrowding

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
I dont do drugs, i dont drink, i dont rape women, I dont kill people, i dont rob people, and I dont steal. so I will never GO to prison.

********. All you have to be is in the wrong place at the wrong time. These guys were all completely innocent, and they were all convicted and spent many years in jail before being exonerated by a non-profit group that had actual resources to run DNA tests and such that the defendants couldn't afford, and that the state is under no obligation to perform. You are naive and ignorant, either through preference or accident. Thankfully our founders understood these issues, and had seen the result of attitudes such as yours in the English justice system. They put protections in place to try and keep the same things from happening here. You give all that up, you embrace ignorance and brutality as a means of justice, you become no better than that which you fight and become no better than what we rebelled against.

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
MJS
you were a CO, would you say that the statement "the vast majority of prisoners are there for non violent petty offenses like drugs" is true or as I suspect is it crap?

According to the DOJ, it's about half and half for violent vs. non-violent (property, drug, public order) offenses in all state prisons. I couldn't find the numbers for the federal system.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
We've tried the punishment theme and agenda for decades now. So much of an increase, you can't build prisons fast enough! Building another and another is like getting another bucket to fill with the leaking water that is now gushing! Plug the hole!

WRONG ANSWER, thanks for playing

prisons have not been places of PUNISHMENT in DECADES

now they are secondary schools, and guess what? people are not afraid to go back

Let's look at the 50's and 60's back when prison SUCKED, and look how many people went BACk to prison...

you are simply ill informed

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
you are right, that site IS *********

So those men weren't exonerated? Certainly you should bring this to the attention of the relevant media so we can correct this fraud immediately. I trust you have the evidence on hand? We must act quickly!

it doesnt go into thier past records, it doesnt go into WHY these guys were easy to buy as the bad guys.

It doesn't matter how they looked, they were completely innocent. No matter how much you put your fingers in your ears, you are in danger of going to jail. We all are. Although unlikely, a bad set of circumstances can land us there. All you have to do is be unlucky.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
no, you pretty much have to be a criminal

I dont do crimes, i dont associate with criminals, and i am never alone if i can help it. even when i am alone, my cell phone tracks where I am.

I dont touch women whose age i dont know.

yes, there is a CHANCE, but that chance, in and of itself is so small that i dont sweat it.sort of like getting bit by a shark in Illinoise. It CAN happen.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
of course i could just be nuts.

No seriously, i have been told i have an irrational hatred of criminals

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
it is too easy to follow the rules, i cant STAND people that think they dont have to follow the rules!

I mean, some guy stealing a can of spam to feed his kids? no problem

some scum bag 14 yr old selling crack? kill him, kill him TWICE

kenpofighter

Green Belt
Reaction score
If our prisons are so bad; then why are there illegals who want to live in our jails and prisons? Our prisons and jail should be so awful that no human being would want to be there. Now I don't mean let the prisoner rot and died in there. They should be worked and feed what they work for. Why, may I ask, do we have such a thing as a prison cook? Why do prisoner get their food cooked for them? Even I have to cook my own food.

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
WRONG ANSWER, thanks for playing

prisons have not been places of PUNISHMENT in DECADES

now they are secondary schools, and guess what? people are not afraid to go back

Let's look at the 50's and 60's back when prison SUCKED, and look how many people went BACk to prison...

you are simply ill informed

Wrong answer for you actually The punishment theme came about in the late 70's and into the 80's, more with the "war on drugs." Before that was the rehab phase. (When your liberals eased things according to you) Before that, the supreme court recognized prisoner rights, then didn't get involved etc...

As for prison sucking, your right. It always has! Even you admit how many still went back. The population has gone up and skyrocketed upon policy changes. Violent crime rates have actually dropped over all. Certain crimes have dropped like burglary-more popular in the 50's and 60's because drug trade was more lucrative and easier. Then came mandatory sentences to be "tough on crime" where crack is 10-15 yeras but the powder form (Heavy in the affluent, white majority sub-urbs) gets about 5. Why? What's the difference? Coke is coke-right? Politics my friend.

As for not being informed..Well, I've been dealing with criminal justice for almost 3 years now, and will be in my master's shortly. I've been hit with the history, issues, policies, etc... repeatedly. Maybe you should go take some time to get educated and better informed.

Last edited:

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
it is too easy to follow the rules, i cant STAND people that think they dont have to follow the rules!

I mean, some guy stealing a can of spam to feed his kids? no problem

some scum bag 14 yr old selling crack? kill him, kill him TWICE

This shows serious ignorance. There's no reason to further carry on a discussion with you.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
i didnt say i was rational about it did i?

It might have to do with the fact that I have had 3 close relatives go to prison since 1980.

1 for murder, 2 for drug related crimes.

the murderer? she had a tv in her cell, a nice comforter, a sewing machine, pictures on the walls, she never ONCE complained about prison being a bad place. And she killed someone in cold blood, did less than 10 years.

My aunt went away for running a meth lab. She still never complains about prison, other than having to get up earlier than she would like. And she literally KILLED people with the drugs she made. And she doesnt even regret going to prison, she actually jokes about going back, when she gets tired of working for a living......

Regardless of what some bleeding hearts think, the people IN prison? they dont think it is that bad...

That's uncivilized. There are countries on this planet where that might be essentially how the justice system works. I don't want to live in them.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
you got it backwards hand sword, prison was about PUNISHMENT till the 70's, then it became "rehabilitation"

which doesnt work.

you are totally wrong, at least about america anyway.

if you feel the need to be insulting, go right on ahead, i am not gonna play that game with you. Disagree all you want, but DONT make it personal.

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This is the last response to you Twin Fist.

First, No where was I personal against you. If I was, You would know it, and it would be obvious!

Second, you are very misinformed with regard to our policy in the correctional system. Rehab, when it is the goal has indeed shown to lower recidivism. Also, It is NOT our current policy. If it was, mandatory, longer sentences, wouldn't be in play still. Judges would have more discretion, More social programs would be available to rehab people etc... These are not apart of the system currently, at least in a significant way.

What is apart of it is this-- More prisons! Build as fast as you can, and throw them in and keep them in (This again, is NOT rehab policy). Yet, there is still overcrowding and they can't be built fast enough.

Remember, we are at a point now where there's plenty of research that has built up over the years that shows what does and doesn't work.

Third, I still won't discuss anything with someone that exprsses killing children as a punishment. That shows ignorance. If that's what you consider personal- then so be it.

I'm done with this and you. You are on the ignore list. On last thing, you are obviously pashionate about this. Use that to go and really study the facts and the history of corrections.