Principle(s) Of Power

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
Spookey said:
Dear all,

"Grounding", "driving", "hip-twist", and "sinewave" will not increase mass...to this extent you are correct!

However, "a 250lb man" does not necessarily have that same mass behind his technique. One uses proper body mechanics in order to maximize the amount of his (pre-existing) mass directed through the technique and into the target!

Even when executing a front snap kick from a parralell ready stance, it will not utilize as much pre-existing mass as executing the same technique from the rear leg of either a "walking" or a "front" stance. Why?, the rear leg kick will shift the mass into the taget whereas the ready stance will not utilize the momentum (thus neutralizing the apex) of the mass x speed...therefore limiting the FORCE!

TAEKWON!
Spookey

I understand what you guys are all saying in terms of improving the amount of 'force' or 'pounds per square inch of pressure' in the strike BUT, if you refer to the equation about force of
MASS times Velocity.
250lbs TIMES how quickly you can get that mass into motion = FORCE in this case.

You are all making good points about factors that will increase power, but you can not increase mass by improving technical proficiency, you are improving the efficiency of the motion which improves the focus/targeting of where that force will strike AND you are reducing the drag/friction that will can create reductions of force generation as well.

As I said, I too use terms like "Body behind the strike" and such but those are slang/vernacular terms that translate to improving muscle recruitment/generating more velocity and improving conscious intent and will into the strike not increasing 'mass' in a performance/athletic training/exercise science sense of the term.

Spookey

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Dear Sir,

Regardless of whether one weighs 100lbs or 300 lbs, he is not utilizing 100% of that mass if his body mechanics are not proper. In order to fully utilize the mass that you posses, certain factors fall into play. Balance in motion for instance will allow you to have control of your mass, whereas an unbalanced individual will have less control of his mass. Therefore, it is completely possible for a 300lb man to only utilize a minumum percentage of that 300lbs of mass!

TAEKWON!
Spookey

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
Spookey said:
Dear Sir,

Regardless of whether one weighs 100lbs or 300 lbs, he is not utilizing 100% of that mass if his body mechanics are not proper. In order to fully utilize the mass that you posses, certain factors fall into play. Balance in motion for instance will allow you to have control of your mass, whereas an unbalanced individual will have less control of his mass. Therefore, it is completely possible for a 300lb man to only utilize a minumum percentage of that 300lbs of mass!

TAEKWON!
Spookey
Agreed. In athletic/sports performance language it is called coordination (combination of dynamic balance, mechanical/technical proficiency, muscular stability/endurance/strength....), and I agree that a person may not be utilizing full muscle recruitment if they are unfit, uncoordinated or inefficient in technical skill.

Because of the way that our bodies are made, there will always be 'dead wt.' that can not be recruited to generate velocity and create more force in a motion (fluids, involuntary muscle tissue, skin, hair, bones...) but we can learn to balance the tension/relaxation subtleties of our muscles by training the nervous system to send the proper signals to those muscles that we need to activate to twitch quickly and in a coordinated fashion to maximize the force we can generate.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
loki09789 said:
Agreed. In athletic/sports performance language it is called coordination (combination of dynamic balance, mechanical/technical proficiency, muscular stability/endurance/strength....), and I agree that a person may not be utilizing full muscle recruitment if they are unfit, uncoordinated or inefficient in technical skill.

Because of the way that our bodies are made, there will always be 'dead wt.' that can not be recruited to generate velocity and create more force in a motion (fluids, involuntary muscle tissue, skin, hair, bones...) but we can learn to balance the tension/relaxation subtleties of our muscles by training the nervous system to send the proper signals to those muscles that we need to activate to twitch quickly and in a coordinated fashion to maximize the force we can generate.
Very well stated! Make your body work smarter (i.e. more efficiently) in order to generate more power. That's why practice does not make perfect, but "perfect practice makes perfect."

Miles

OP
F

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
"perfect practice makes perfect."

I heard that from a swimming coach years ago.

The other one I heard, in relationship to playing music (and I may have made it up) is "Practice how you play because you'll play how you practice"

TX_BB

Purple Belt
Reaction score
It’s been a while since S&D but my reccolation of this problem is that this is a summation of force vectors problem.

I’ll come at this problem from the punch aspect.

Yes, the mass of knuckles do not change nor do they accelerate themeselves. What does change is the force behind them. How this force is generated is a what I will try in a simplified model to explain:

A basic assumption for this solution is that the mathematics has been reduced to only the components necessary for the straight line punch (no up, down, side components):

Arm Punch: F1=m1*dv1/dt1
Shoulder Action: F2=m2*dv2/dt2
Waist Action: F3=m3*dv3/dt3
Leg Action: F4=m4*dv4/dt4

where dvn/dtn is produced by muscular recruitment or in other words acceleration is caused by the action of the muscles on the skeleton, the changes in mass are from the different mechanical systems involved.

A woman of 56Kg the forces can be described as such:

Mass
Arm: m1=m4*.1; Shoulder:m2=m4*.2;
Waist: m3=m4*.35; Full body (leg): m4=56Kg

Acceleration
Arm: dv1/dt1=10 m/s/s; Shoulder: dv2/dt2=5.5 m/s/s;
Waist: dv3/dt3=4.6 m/s/s; Full body (leg): dv4/dt4=6.5 m/s/s

Full Body Punch: FB=F1+F2+F3+F4=50.4+58.52+87.6+364 or ~560 N

Notice that the largest component is due to the leg which carries the body into play.

I hope this is helpful to someone.

Merry Christmas

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
TX_BB said:
What does change is the force behind them. How this force is generated is a what I will try in a simplified model to explain:

A basic assumption for this solution is that the mathematics has been reduced to only the components necessary for the straight line punch (no up, down, side components):

Arm Punch: F1=m1*dv1/dt1
Shoulder Action: F2=m2*dv2/dt2
Waist Action: F3=m3*dv3/dt3
Leg Action: F4=m4*dv4/dt4

where dvn/dtn is produced by muscular recruitment or in other words acceleration is caused by the action of the muscles on the skeleton, the changes in mass are from the different mechanical systems involved.

Acceleration
Arm: dv1/dt1=10 m/s/s; Shoulder: dv2/dt2=5.5 m/s/s;
Waist: dv3/dt3=4.6 m/s/s; Full body (leg): dv4/dt4=6.5 m/s/s

Full Body Punch: FB=F1+F2+F3+F4=50.4+58.52+87.6+364 or ~560 N

Notice that the largest component is due to the leg which carries the body into play.

I hope this is helpful to someone.

Merry Christmas
Merry Christmas!

TX BB, you may have lost me. I am no physics whiz, but I agree that the power generated is the sum that of the components you've listed.

However, are you saying the components move in the order you've numbered them?

Thanks in advance!

Miles

TX_BB

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Actually things are moving pretty much simultaneously this is to simplify the problem. In reality you want to simultaneously coordinate peak accelerations probably a topic for a grad paper.

Merry Christmas