primal diet

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As a matter of curiosity, what do you consider as junk food in the USA? I would assume the so called fast foods such as McDs (though here because of our food laws the burgers have to be all beef no additives same with the chicken etc, makes it very bland tbh but not hugely unhealthy).
Watching some American programmes such as Gordons Ramsey's and other factual cookery programmes, the portions are enormous, one plate enough to feed a family! As for Man v Food ( my son likes that programme makes him laugh)

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
As a matter of curiosity, what do you consider as junk food in the USA? I would assume the so called fast foods such as McDs (though here because of our food laws the burgers have to be all beef no additives same with the chicken etc, makes it very bland tbh but not hugely unhealthy).
Watching some American programmes such as Gordons Ramsey's and other factual cookery programmes, the portions are enormous, one plate enough to feed a family! As for Man v Food ( my son likes that programme makes him laugh)

Well, prepared foods as well. canned, boxed, the super processed stuff.
it's loaded with fats, sodium and all kinds of stuff no one can pronounce.
Plain white bread should be in there as well, because the stuff really has no redeeming quality, unless it is stale you have to eat a loaf of it to feel not hungry anymore....

Also, the food industry has an ongoing love affair with corn syrup.
I have not seen the commercials in a while 'the body can't tell the difference' I wonder why!
A friend of mine is allergic to corn, corn syrup gives her a ravaging migraine (I brought her a 'coke classic' from the old world. You should have seen her face light up! :))
bob-bons, hoo-hoos, twinkies (ROP), along with potato chips and flavored corn chips. I think Salsa is relatively healthy in this context.

many recipes (in the south I suppose) start out with '1 can of condensed cream of chicken soup'
It's flavorful but hardly healthy.

but there are more alternatives available now than as little as 5 years ago, too. And I am talking mainstream stores, not back alley granola dives.

i think the biggest problem is that too many people have no more concept of what to do with fresh foods.
a friend of mine told me once she gave somebody a bowl with fresh picked strawberries. the recipient complained 'I don't have time to make preserves'
well, how about eating them fresh!

the cooking shows crack me up 'have your butcher cut this up for you' 'your fish monger can clean that for you' :lfao:
the nearest butcher is an hour or so out of town. If he is still open that is.

alburyscott

White Belt
Reaction score
From a primal diet point of view, processed foods, additives etc are out, as is gluten/gleeiden, most grains, legumes and dairy. While I personally eat a little of those things, the less I eat, the better I feel, and MORE IMPORTANTLY, the better I function. This is what I have seen with a lot of patients too.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
With Thanksgivingand Christmas over with.....on each of these holidays, I broke my no-grains rule, as enjoying a friend or family member's cooking was more important to me than strict orthodoxy.

What I wasn't expecting was how sick I would feel after eating wheat, aside from the digestive complaints that happen when you eat something you haven't eaten in awhile. Each time my lungs were getting congested, as if a respiratory infection was coming on. Each time I went to dig up my asthma inhaler, I found it in my backpack. I never hike without it, but had not had a routine need to carry it with me in my pocketbook.

The symptoms cleared largely within a day. I don't regret enjoying a holiday meal with good people, but that experience was definitely motivation to stay on track.

Now back to the Kale chips :D

OP
B

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Maybe that's what's wrong with me. I've been congested and run down since Christmas eve and I can't shake it. But I've at like you said over holidays not wanting to upset anyone by not eating certain foods. I've had to do several different Christmas dinners with all the different families due to my schedule its been spaced out over the last two weeks.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It could be. Chronic inflammation is the root cause behind a lot of such symptoms and the paleo diets tend to focus on foods that are naturally anti inflammatory.

I am having trouble pasting a link from my droid, but if you google top 10 anti inflammatory foods, you should find a list from Chicago Now of the 10 best and 10 worst. Also, nutritiondata.self.com will show how (anti)inflammatory certain foods are.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've had great results following the Primal Blueprint. Without much change in my exercise regimen other than incorporating some sprints every once in a while I lost 50 pounds last year over the summer and my wife lost 20 pounds once she stopped thinking I was crazy (at least about changing my diet) and joined me. Every once in a while she gets a pasta craving and cooks of up spaghetti and then regrets it.

Anyway, right now I swear by Primal, but what works for me may not necessarily be what works for others.

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been on the Paleo/Bible Diet for about three months. The weight is falling off and I feel fantastic. This is the first winter in years that I didn't catch a cold or even get the sniffles.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Problem I see with many of these diets, is just that. They are marketing things to get money. How interesting would it be and how much money would you make if you just told people to not eat processed foods of any kinds and the closer to nature in the form of fruits, vegetables and lean protien your food is the better you will be.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Problem I see with many of these diets, is just that. They are marketing things to get money. How interesting would it be and how much money would you make if you just told people to not eat processed foods of any kinds and the closer to nature in the form of fruits, vegetables and lean protien your food is the better you will be.

well, it is being told to people.

But you have to have the label....

people are stupid that way, what can you do!

people buy raw pet foods, when they could buy the exact same stuff while grocery shopping (but their pets east better than them in many cases)

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

I'd wager that most people are following "paleo" diets doing exactly that.

The only folks that are making more money from me after I changed my way of eating were the good folks at my local farmers markets ;)

alburyscott

White Belt
Reaction score
I would have to say, that the money being made by the paleo crowd is pretty minimal. A big part of why people buy stuff from robb wolf/mark sisson/ Loren Cordain etc is because we now have a whole generation of people who do not know how to cook with real food! For some of us (me included) the science geeky stuff is interesting so I will happily pay $20 to have that.

A LOT of the info getting to people is from the free sources, blogs, podcasts etc. I find them awesome, and a great way to keep my accountability high.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I would have to say, that the money being made by the paleo crowd is pretty minimal. A big part of why people buy stuff from robb wolf/mark sisson/ Loren Cordain etc is because we now have a whole generation of people who do not know how to cook with real food! For some of us (me included) the science geeky stuff is interesting so I will happily pay $20 to have that.

A LOT of the info getting to people is from the free sources, blogs, podcasts etc. I find them awesome, and a great way to keep my accountability high.

I bought some books from Mark Sisson only after I lost 50 pounds kind of as a way to thank him for the information his website freely provides that helped me get in better shape and feel the best I've felt in a long time.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes, there is alot of free info on the internet now for almost all diets. But, when most first came out they were all variations on a theme and charged around $25 a book.

Paleo Diet vs. Southbeach Diet: Pretty much the same premise to lose weight. Lean proteins and cut out the processed foods and grain/pasta products. They each add in their own flair to make it different. Okinawan Diet? Eat lots of lean proteins (mainly fish) and lots of vegetables with small amounts of rice (glutein free).

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I had my annual physical today.

My previous physical was in January of 2012. My last doctor's visit was April 2012. I went Paleo in June 2012.

Between January 2012 and April 2012 -- there was no change in my weight.

Between April 2012 and Today -- well, I'll quote my nurse. "OK Carol and your weight is down...oh my goodness, your weight is down 25 pounds since we last saw you! Have you been doing anything different?"

Why yes, yes I have :)

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
About a year and a half ago I was prescribed a daily dose of Nexium for acid reflux. Since that time my hair had begun thinning on top. Till recently I didn't really put it together that the Nexium might be causing hair loss.

After I started the Paleo diet I found I no longer had acid reflux anymore. Since I didn't get reflux I stopped taking Nexium. I've notice for the past two weeks that my hair is starting to come back.

Between losing weight and getting my hair back I am convinced that the Paleo diet is for me.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
About a year and a half ago I was prescribed a daily dose of Nexium for acid reflux. Since that time my hair had begun thinning on top. Till recently I didn't really put it together that the Nexium might be causing hair loss.

After I started the Paleo diet I found I no longer had acid reflux anymore. Since I didn't get reflux I stopped taking Nexium. I've notice for the past two weeks that my hair is starting to come back.

Between losing weight and getting my hair back I am convinced that the Paleo diet is for me.

It's good it worked for you but acid reflux can be caused by things other than food such as hiatus hernia andpeptic ulcers so it would be important know the cause before stopping medication.

Master Dan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I bumped into a friend last night at the grocery store itwas very apparent he had lost weight I asked him how and he said the primaldiet mostly no bread of any kind no pasta just meat and raw food. I havelistened to my own current doctor who had to do the same thing that you need togive up all bread and bread products? my friend has lost 35 pounds fast thenregular 2 pounds a week and has been able to reduce his work out from 1.5 hourscardio 6 days a week to .5 cardio 3 days a week in fact he says you don't needto work out at all? I do not agree with that people need cardio strengthtraining and flexibility for life but at 60 teaching raising an 8 year old Ijust cannot find more than 9 hours of personal training a week so its time forme quit all intentional sugar bread and pasta focus on meat and natural foodlets see what happens in 30 days.

Master Dan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Just went to serch some more info and all the competing diets get in front but scroll down about 8 and good free info is available I am printing the shpping list and subscribed to the free email news letter and cooking section her below.

I will have to give up eating my wonderful processed chicken sandwhich with doctor peper for break at 10 all my wonderful food groups grease salt sugar I will eat bananas and apples other stuff for snacks hope I can have yogurt with my black berries we pay $6 dollars for about 12 black berries here. I fed my students fresh King Crab last night right out of the ocen a mile from my front door through the ice I had four bites with butter then ate lots of macaroni and cheese my favorite that goes If I can loose 30 pounds it will be worth it.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-shopping-list/#axzz2HfvdKP1c

http://www.glutenfreecookingschool....awt_m=1Rcmgvll8pV&[email protected]

Latest Discussions