Pressured to test

OP
A

Anuka

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I have a 8 yo nephew, who keeps doing daft things to please his mates, who egg him on. I've said to him on a few occasions, if they told you to put your hand in the fire, would you? I'm now going to change that to if they told you to hit a wooden dummy 108 times, would you?. Another good life skill is not being gullible to the point of stupidity

I'm sorry dude, just leave me alone. I suddenly remember why I come here, but never post.

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had been training full time for twenty five years. Under a lot of really wonderful instructors. One wanted me to test for another dan rank. I didn't really care to, didn't see the point. He didn't care, either. He kind of got a kick out of it.

Instead, I got myself a new black belt. With this inscribed on it.

階級無意味 (kaikyuu mu imi)

Still wear it to this day.
OK, I tried to figure that out by myself by sending various messages to Professor Google, but apparently he's in with the co-ed student group or something.

What does that mean?

thanson02

Blue Belt
Reaction score
100 % do not agree with that martial arts are not life and absolutely not more important than a job. If you don't have a job how do you pay for your classes, how do you pay to get to classes. A job should always always come first especially these days without a job you can't do martial arts

There is a balance to this. Everything you said is correct, but if you feel you have to choose one over the other, a lot of times you need to step back and take another look at the situation. From what I have seen, there will usually be an option that was missed. People will either see the martial arts as a hobby or a path of life. Depending on which one you hold, your approach to your training will be different.

As for the OP's situation, if I was in his shoes, I would have took a look at my personal conditioning and had a realistic check on where I am at, I would have talked to my instructor about the situation and worked with him/her to make sure I was ready for the test, setting up a time table with a scheduled training regiment to get me ready. I then would have checked my job to see what options I had available such as vacation or sick leave incase I needed it for the recovery time and then I would have talked to my manager about setting up my schedule so I can do what I need to do to be ready for the test and minimize the effect it would have on my job.

If you have either an instructor or a boss who is unwilling to work with you with this sort of stuff to make the situation the best it can be, then it is time to replace the one who is not willing to work with you.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
There is a balance to this. Everything you said is correct, but if you feel you have to choose one over the other, a lot of times you need to step back and take another look at the situation. From what I have seen, there will usually be an option that was missed. People will either see the martial arts as a hobby or a path of life. Depending on which one you hold, your approach to your training will be different.

As for the OP's situation, if I was in his shoes, I would have took a look at my personal conditioning and had a realistic check on where I am at, I would have talked to my instructor about the situation and worked with him/her to make sure I was ready for the test, setting up a time table with a scheduled training regiment to get me ready. I then would have checked my job to see what options I had available such as vacation or sick leave incase I needed it for the recovery time and then I would have talked to my manager about setting up my schedule so I can do what I need to do to be ready for the test and minimize the effect it would have on my job.

If you have either an instructor or a boss who is unwilling to work with you with this sort of stuff to make the situation the best it can be, then it is time to replace the one who is not willing to work with you.
or he could decided that the test was pointless macho nonsense, revolving around magic numbers and decline to get involved in such daft things. And remember wooden dummies don't hit back
its has the sound of a cult asking you to self harm to prove your loyalty?

Saheim

Green Belt
Reaction score
100 % do not agree with that martial arts are not life and absolutely not more important than a job. If you don't have a job how do you pay for your classes, how do you pay to get to classes. A job should always always come first especially these days without a job you can't do martial arts

See, I said some would disagree.

I think a poster, after me, explained it better than I originally did - MA is a hobby to some, to others, it is a life path. People are "defined" by different things. To some, their occupation defines them. I am not in that camp, which is odd seeing as how some of the jobs I have had tend to be the type that people do use to define themselves (like law enforcement officer). You asked "how would you pay...." simple, with a DIFFERENT job. To me, it is easier to find a job I can settle for than a school I can settle for. I recently applied for a position that paid SIGNIFICANTLY less just because it freed up some time I needed for training. Everyone is different, but I consider MA more important than how you pull paper.

My point was simple - the OP is using "work" as his reason to avoid the test. He has to decide which is more important to him. To me, that would be simple. Plus it doesn't even sound like he is forced into an ultimatum. Sounds like he might have to just miss a few days to recover.

Whichever he decides takes priority, the one thing that is important to remember is - you don't get to tell an instructor how to teach. It is HIS class, you are paying HIM to teach YOU. Maybe I'm too traditional, but ya either do what your Sensei/Sifu says, or you go somewhere else. YMMV

thanson02

Blue Belt
Reaction score
or he could decided that the test was pointless macho nonsense, revolving around magic numbers and decline to get involved in such daft things. And remember wooden dummies don't hit back
its has the sound of a cult asking you to self harm to prove your loyalty?

Which would be up to the OP. It is not our place to tell him what to value in his training because to do so is cultish.

Like I said, I don't train in his system. We don't test on wood dummies, we show our skill through performance pieces (basics, long forms etc) and through live application (kickboxing, grappling, and board breaking) and I don't see the point in showing skill on a dummies because you need to see it in live action to make sure they are understand the principles of distance, angles, and timing. But if I had an instructor who I had a positive history with and we had built a sense of trust by working together, I would not argue with him if he wanted to do things that I didn't see the point in doing. I would ask him why we are doing it, but if he gave me a solid answer and listened to my concerns and addressed them, I would have no problem doing it. The OP did not clarify the type of relationship he had with his instructor or their history together. He just didn't see the point in the test. Above that, there are a lot of assumptions going on with people's intentions. So why don't we let the OP speak for himself and express to us what he values in his training.......

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
OK, I tried to figure that out by myself by sending various messages to Professor Google, but apparently he's in with the co-ed student group or something.

What does that mean?

"Rank has no meaning."
kaikyuu mu imi (literally, "rank no meaning")

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You asked "how would you pay...." simple, with a DIFFERENT job. To me, it is easier to find a job I can settle for than a school I can settle for.

it would seem you are extremely lucky then, jobs around our way are rare and hard to get, people have to move away from family and friends to get a job.
What works for it's actually good advice for others especially when you don't know their situation.

Above that, there are a lot of assumptions going on with people's intentions. So why don't we let the OP speak for himself and express to us what he values in his training.......

Absolutely spot on.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry dude, just leave me alone. I suddenly remember why I come here, but never post.

Don't take any notice, people like to bump their gums, pick the answers that are useful to you.
I may be here more often, our Prime Minister has just announced a General Election and I really really can't face more politicians insulting, whining, pontificating and generally being very annoying so this is where I will hide until it's over!

Latest Discussions