The point of testing students

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
I never really thought about that. Now that you mention it, I agree.

The “advanced” part is basically used in place of getting a new colored belt every single time. Instead of 10 colors there’s only 5. Makes things simpler.

But yeah, somehow “advanced white belt” is a bit of an oxymoron. Thanks for pointing that out. I’ll never be able to read, write, or say it again without chuckling.

That's how its done in BJJ. In BJJ from white to black there are only five colors, white, blue, purple, brown, and black. Then after black there are more advanced belts such as the coral belt which is alternating black and red and the very highest belt is the red belt. Very few people get the red belt and I've never heard of anybody outside the Gracie family getting it. At that point, though, rank is more or less just political. Anyway, with only five belts from white to black, you do have more advanced ranks in each belt. How advanced you are in a belt is symbolized by how many stripes you've got on your belt. You start out with a white belt with no stripes. When you first get promoted you get one stripe on your white belt. Each time you get promoted you get another stripe on your belt up to four stripes. Once you've got four stripes the next time you get promoted you go up a belt color. The exception to this is the brown belt which doesn't have any stripes so as far as I know its brown to black with no stripes in between.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's how its done in BJJ. In BJJ from white to black there are only five colors, white, blue, purple, brown, and black. Then after black there are more advanced belts such as the coral belt which is alternating black and red and the very highest belt is the red belt. Very few people get the red belt and I've never heard of anybody outside the Gracie family getting it. At that point, though, rank is more or less just political. Anyway, with only five belts from white to black, you do have more advanced ranks in each belt. How advanced you are in a belt is symbolized by how many stripes you've got on your belt. You start out with a white belt with no stripes. When you first get promoted you get one stripe on your white belt. Each time you get promoted you get another stripe on your belt up to four stripes. Once you've got four stripes the next time you get promoted you go up a belt color. The exception to this is the brown belt which doesn't have any stripes so as far as I know its brown to black with no stripes in between.
I like this to reduce the number of belts. It's the same principle as the bunch-of-belts approach, but without so much changing of belts, so less focus on the transitions.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
I like this to reduce the number of belts. It's the same principle as the bunch-of-belts approach, but without so much changing of belts, so less focus on the transitions.

With the children they do have more belt colors. In the children's belt system there's a yellow belt and a green belt and I believe some other belts that are absent in the adult system. Usually somewhere in your mid teens you're considered an adult in terms of what belt system you use.

Anyway, there are less colors but you do get stripes on your belt and getting a stripe is a transition.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With the children they do have more belt colors. In the children's belt system there's a yellow belt and a green belt and I believe some other belts that are absent in the adult system. Usually somewhere in your mid teens you're considered an adult in terms of what belt system you use.

Anyway, there are less colors but you do get stripes on your belt and getting a stripe is a transition.
Agreed. I think the color changes highlight the transition a bit more (and mean more old belts in the closet), so the tips probably help reduce the focus on the transitions.

The NGAA has a similar approach for kids, though they re-use the same belt colors. Once a youth (originally at least age 13 - not sure how they handle this rule now) hits youth green (yellow, blue, green), they start training the adult material, so their next belt is adult yellow (yellow, blue, green, purple, brown, black).

Latest Discussions