Pressure Points

Post the pressure points or not

• Yes post them.

• No, don't post them

• I don't know, never of of such a thing before.

Results are only viewable after voting.

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
D.Cobb said:
If this is what you think pressure point combat is all about, the feelings of pain, then you have got it ALL wrong!!
If it relies on pain to work, then it is doomed to fail. Anyone can fight through pain. Some people can go beyond what most of us would consider normal.
Whilst some of the points can cause pain, and they are good for a laugh in the dojo, it is the ones that have effect without pain, that are necessary in a fight. The ones that work, regardless of the persons constitution.

Unfortunately for you, Mr. Dillman does not teach these.
I understand why he does what he does. No one can truely call him wrong. What he teaches, he calls "The Dillman Pressure Point Method". It is not the "Oyata Method", or "The Grand Poobah Method" etc. And as such, he is entitled to teach it any way he likes. However, just like Mr. Stone, I can't condone the "Stand there, whilst I bash the bejazus outa ya" method.
I never saw my instructor use a static target. And the only condition he would sometimes set for our attacks, might be the height. Eg. punch to my head/ or punch to my stomach etc. his usual instruction was, "Try to take me out." So we would and then we'd nap :D
Then he'd show us how.....

--Dave
No this is not what I see pressure point fighting as, but if you get someone that has been drinking than there Liver points are more sensitive, but if you get someone coming off of PCP than all the Yang points are shut down you now have to be able to take out his Yin points we know this from some police officers in the NYPD that are with DKI as they now use the points on the inside of the legs to subdue these people. Like I said before when we first start learning we learn on stationary people but as we progress than so does our training best of luck

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
D.Cobb said:
.......... However, just like Mr. Stone, I can't condone the "Stand there, whilst I bash the bejazus outa ya" method.
--Dave
and the stikes are actually more effective when the target is moving.....imagine a train hitting a wall at 50mph......then imagine two trains in a head on collision both going 50mph.......same kind of thing.
This is why people have come from a Dillman Seminar and said that it didn't work on them. Dillman uses "lamp post "uke" that just stand there and wait as opposed to someone that is doing it semi-seriously with a bit of speed.

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
:bs:
ppko said:
No this is not what I see pressure point fighting as,1) but if you get someone that has been drinking than there Liver points are more sensitive, but 2)if you get someone coming off of PCP than all the Yang points are shut down you now have to be able to take out his Yin points we know this from some police officers in the NYPD that are with DKI as 3)they now use the points on the inside of the legs to subdue these people. Like I said before when we first start learning we learn on stationary people but as we progress than so does our training best of luck
1) Based on who's qualified research?

2) "The yang points SHUT DOWN?" again....based on who's qualified research? Dillman?:lol:

3) The points inside of the legs work fine for me anytime.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
i have a friend that's been doing ryukyu kempo since he was a kid(in mid 20's) now...i was talking to him about the video of the guy from chicago...i don't practice kyusho jutsu...but from what i heard from him it was just ridiculous....along with the no touch knockout...which i knew was ridiculous from the moment i saw it...

"Only 40% of people are susceptible..." but they all happen to be in my classes

D.Cobb

2nd Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
ppko said:
No this is not what I see pressure point fighting as, but if you get someone that has been drinking than there Liver points are more sensitive, but if you get someone coming off of PCP than all the Yang points are shut down you now have to be able to take out his Yin points we know this from some police officers in the NYPD that are with DKI as they now use the points on the inside of the legs to subdue these people. Like I said before when we first start learning we learn on stationary people but as we progress than so does our training best of luck

Sorry Dude! I had you mistaken for someone who actually read
(a) the response to their own post.
and
(b)responded with answers to posts, that actually made sense

--Dave

D.Cobb

2nd Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
RRouuselot said:
and the stikes are actually more effective when the target is moving.....imagine a train hitting a wall at 50mph......then imagine two trains in a head on collision both going 50mph.......same kind of thing.
This is why people have come from a Dillman Seminar and said that it didn't work on them. Dillman uses "lamp post "uke" that just stand there and wait as opposed to someone that is doing it semi-seriously with a bit of speed.
How right you are Robert!!
When your uke is just standing there, their nervous system is not fired up in any way, so to get a response you need to bash, ala G. Dillman.
This is known as blunt force trauma! I can get the same result with a baseball bat, and I wouldn't have to spend any money on years of training.

--Dave :asian:

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
D.Cobb said:
This is known as blunt force trauma! I can get the same result with a baseball bat, and I wouldn't have to spend any money on years of training.

--Dave :asian:
also, in the baseball bat style....you'll find that every spot is an effective pressure point....

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
bignick said:
also, in the baseball bat style....you'll find that every spot is an effective pressure point....
True that, but the dilemma is whether to use a wood or metal bat.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
depends on whether your in college or want to go pro...metal bats would be less likely to break when they come in contact with the top of the skull pressure point

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
bignick said:
depends on whether your in college or want to go pro...metal bats would be less likely to break when they come in contact with the top of the skull pressure point

and they are easier to clean!!

Xequat

Black Belt
Reaction score
LOL, I guess it depends on which points you want to attack. If you attack wood pressure points, use a metal bat and if you attack earth-based pressure points, use the wood bat. That's funny.

I do think, though that we should leave our minds open to new possibilities. Martial arts is not only art, but also a science. I don't know yet about all of the no-touch, use-the-force stuff yet, but just about anything's possible.

RRouuselot said:
1) Based on who's qualified research?

2) "The yang points SHUT DOWN?" again....based on who's qualified research? Dillman?:lol:

3) The points inside of the legs work fine for me anytime.
ppko was just saying that some police officer for NYPD discovered that it works for him. If it works consistently, then there must be a logical reason. Although the explanation of shutting down yang points doesn't make total sense to me either, it is at least an attempt to explain what someone has experienced to be true. And why isn't Dillman a qualified researcher? Or was that a joke...I've only been in MartialTalk for a month...been in martial arts about four years. Also, nobody said that inside leg point wouldn't work all the time...he just indicated that they might be the only ones that work some of the time. It's an explanation based on logic, but the parts of the argument that make up the logic might be kind of weird and hard to swallow for some. Jury's still out for me.

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Xequat said:
LOL, I guess it depends on which points you want to attack. If you attack wood pressure points, use a metal bat and if you attack earth-based pressure points, use the wood bat. That's funny.

I do think, though that we should leave our minds open to new possibilities. Martial arts is not only art, but also a science. I don't know yet about all of the no-touch, use-the-force stuff yet, but just about anything's possible.

ppko was just saying that some police officer for NYPD discovered that it works for him. If it works consistently, then there must be a logical reason. Although the explanation of shutting down yang points doesn't make total sense to me either, it is at least an attempt to explain what someone has experienced to be true. And why isn't Dillman a qualified researcher? Or was that a joke...I've only been in MartialTalk for a month...been in martial arts about four years. Also, nobody said that inside leg point wouldn't work all the time...he just indicated that they might be the only ones that work some of the time. It's an explanation based on logic, but the parts of the argument that make up the logic might be kind of weird and hard to swallow for some. Jury's still out for me.
Oh now here is a man that understands how to read a post, thank you for clearing that up for the ones that are not able to understand what I have written. Welcome to MT by the way, and a very good post

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Xequat said:

ppko was just saying that some police officer for NYPD discovered that it works for him. If it works consistently, then there must be a logical reason. Although the explanation of shutting down yang points doesn't make total sense to me either, it is at least an attempt to explain what someone has experienced to be true. And why isn't Dillman a qualified researcher? Or was that a joke...I've only been in MartialTalk for a month...been in martial arts about four years. 1)Also, nobody said that inside leg point wouldn't work all the time...he just indicated that they might be the only ones that work some of the time. 2)It's an explanation based on logic, but the parts of the argument that make up the logic might be kind of weird and hard to swallow for some. Jury's still out for me.
Welcome to MT.

To answer some questions about credentials.
Unlike several other people on MT, ppko and Dillman have no formal training, no license, and very little knowledge of TCM as can be seen by ppko's statement about the yang points shutting down.

1) if it works all the time then how do we know it was due to the yang points "shutting down"....

2) actually it's not. It's based on one untrained person teaching another and in turn he teaches another and so on.....until what you have is a large group that sounds convincing because of the sheer numbers in their group but in actual fact have only learned a few terms and points and can spout them out to make it sound as if they know what they are talking about. It's quite convincing to people that have no idea about such things. However, to trained people it sounds like chibberish.
It is exactly due to this kind of irresponsible comments that for years people had to un-learn certain myths about karate, kung fu etc regarding practice and the history of those arts. Example: I can’t count how many times I have seen on this site and others about the Sai being used as a “farm tool” to plant rice and Karate was developed by “farmers”. All of which had to be painstakingly disproved by others.

T

Turbo

Bruce Lee didnt have very much formal training either, but he knew what he was talking about!

Although I dont care much for how Dillman runs his organization, I would never say he has very little knowledge of TCM. And to use kyusho, who says you need to be a god at TCM?

And there are lots of people with lots of formal training that joined DKI after being instructors in other styles.

D.Cobb

2nd Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
RRouuselot said:
True that, but the dilemma is whether to use a wood or metal bat.

Also, you'd have to ask, does the 5 elements come into play?:idunno:
If you chose one over the other, would have to change targets to get a better result?:D

--Dave

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
well, of course....and also times of day...the aluminum meridian will be more sensitive during parts of the day...opposite that of the wood meridian..,.

D.Cobb

2nd Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
bignick said:
well, of course....and also times of day...the aluminum meridian will be more sensitive during parts of the day...opposite that of the wood meridian..,.

:D I love it!

D.Cobb

2nd Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
RRouuselot said:
Welcome to MT.

Unlike several other people on MT, ppko and Dillman have no formal training, no license, and very little knowledge of TCM as can be seen by ppko's statement about the yang points shutting down.

1) if it works all the time then how do we know it was due to the yang points "shutting down"....

2) actually it's not. It's based on one untrained person teaching another and in turn he teaches another and so on.....until what you have is a large group that sounds convincing because of the sheer numbers in their group but in actual fact have only learned a few terms and points and can spout them out to make it sound as if they know what they are talking about. It's quite convincing to people that have no idea about such things. However, to trained people it sounds like chibberish.
It is exactly due to this kind of irresponsible comments that for years people had to un-learn certain myths about karate, kung fu etc regarding practice and the history of those arts. Example: I can’t count how many times I have seen on this site and others about the Sai being used as a “farm tool” to plant rice and Karate was developed by “farmers”. All of which had to be painstakingly disproved by others.

Kind of like the old story of the Okinawan systems being created to fight off the invading samurai.
It never happened. The Japanese were invited in by the king of the Ryukyu kingdom, and he actually decreed that the Ryukyu Kingdom was to be annexed to Japan.

What is it that they say about "one mans truth"?

--Dave

Xequat

Black Belt
Reaction score
RRouuselot said:
Welcome to MT.

Thanks, I like it. :)

I have a question, and I don't mean to sound accusatory or challenging, but how do you know that the yang points don't shut down? I know that seems like a pretty simple question at first, but if it works for a cop on the street then either there is something to it or the cop was full of it. I doubt that anyone on this site would knowingly post false info, but like I said, I'm new here. I don't really know ppko that well, so do you know that he has no formal training or do you just say that because he said something that doesn't make sense. Either way's fine, just wanted clarification, because if he mentioned that someone in his organization gave this info about the yang points, then that means that he has some kind of training. I'm not sure how you define formal.

1) We don't. He's just saying that the drugs only shut down the yang points. Like when you block your head, it leaves an opening to the body. A shot to the body will always be a good thing, whether the head is blocked or not, but a shot to the head (or the yang points) when blocked is pretty ineffective. At least that's how I read it.

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Xequat said:
Thanks, I like it. :)

I have a question, and I don't mean to sound accusatory or challenging, but how do you know that the yang points don't shut down? I know that seems like a pretty simple question at first, but if it works for a cop on the street then either there is something to it or the cop was full of it. I doubt that anyone on this site would knowingly post false info, but like I said, I'm new here. I don't really know ppko that well, so do you know that he has no formal training or do you just say that because he said something that doesn't make sense. Either way's fine, just wanted clarification, because if he mentioned that someone in his organization gave this info about the yang points, then that means that he has some kind of training. I'm not sure how you define formal.

1) We don't. He's just saying that the drugs only shut down the yang points. Like when you block your head, it leaves an opening to the body. A shot to the body will always be a good thing, whether the head is blocked or not, but a shot to the head (or the yang points) when blocked is pretty ineffective. At least that's how I read it.
Here is the thing Xequat we have to take peoples word for it when it comes to this topic of debate, for one reason 1) what am I expected to do go out and look for someone to fight that is coming off of PCP just so I can proove it, I am not the type of person that would do that. But thank you for your delightful posts

Latest Discussions