Question about Pressure points

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Just because something has been believed for a long time doesnā€™t mean thereā€™s any truth to it.
In China and much of asia people still believe rhino horns are aphrodisiacs. We know this false.
For what it's worth, the American College of TCM does not approve of rhino horn use. Most of the poaching has been to harvest rhino horn as a cure for cancer, and TCM never promoted that use.

... and traditional medicine in China and Vietnam never promoted rhino horn as an aphrodesiac. It's a very small group of affluent expats who have created the myth of its potency in this way.
"ā€œIn fact, traditional Chinese medicine never has used rhinoceros horn as an aphrodisiac: This is a myth of the Western media and in some parts of Asia is viewed as a kind of anti-Chinese hysteria.ā€"

Thanks for reading. Carry on.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think a lot of posters are probably saying the same thing, but from different view points, and based on their own experiences.

Things like going unconscious and making noise, versus not making noise. If you are knowledgeable about air chokes versus blood chokes, with an air choke taking much longer to incapacitate a person than a proper blood choke. In an airway choke, you are restricting the air supply (obviously), and it takes awhile to go completely out. Gasping, grunting, or making noises is common. However, a proper blood choke puts a person out quickly, and odds are you are not going to hear them make noises.

Now lets take that same concept of being unconscious, and look at it from the POV of a fighter who kicks or strikes a person in the head, resulting in an unconscious opponent. You don't hear noises, gasps, or grunts in those cases as the brain is too busy slamming against the wall of the skull. If you have ever seen a fight in the street, dojo, or UFC where someone goes stiff when hit and they are still locked up on the ground, that is a knock out.

When we bring the above into the realm of "pressure points" or nerve strikes, we have to consider the same things, mainly there are various ways to impact a nerve cluster, and there are a lot of ways for a opponent to be facing or countering.

One poster talks about compliance rapidly gained in hospital settings via pressure point and head control. That is fantastic, because that pain comes on ultra quick, but vanishes very quickly as well. I can tell you from personal experience that when you palm strike a "patient" in ER (and send him flipping over the table) that the attending doctors tend to get exceedingly worked up. The doctors live in nice places, in bubbles, and ignore why the suspect/ patient is in the ER to begin with.

For anyone who says nerve stuff and pressure points don't work against them is incorrect, but only because they are looking at things from certain perspectives. Let us consider the entirety of the nervous system. I think most of us will agree the testicles are rather sensitive. Sure there are guys who say they can take a hit to the junk, but it doesn't typically work out that way. The eyes tend to be rather sensitive as well. Not every pressure point is located in the inside of the upper arm, or the liver. Not every nerve cluster is a magic hidden spot.

What we do need to remember is that when we are in a legitimate real world fight, pressure points are not TYPICALLY the best of targets. I say this based on my own training and experience. When things get really bad, breaking down the skeletal structure is a quick way to terminate events. Arms and legs being broken ends fights quickly. Breaking shoulders does as well. We train in our various disciplines, but we need to consider a larger picture. If we have no ground fighting ability, we will probably lose to a BJJ or wrestling opponent. We all like to believe, or want to believe that it can't happen, but it can, and it does. If you only do standup, you need to get a ground game going.

Pressure points and nerve clusters are legit, but they are not magic. Much like a punch that is blocked or misses, not everything work all the time.

Hopefully the above makes a little bit of sense. I tried to condense it, but am happy to expand on any of it.

Regard to all....

Stick
For the record, I have heard two different people make a loud snoring like noise right after a knockout strike. I have been completely laid out from a liver kick. I have actually smacked my own balls with my heel on a failed twirl kick 20 years ago and the fall onto concrete resulted in a torn sartorius muscle and pelvic ligament damage. Now I just wrap them around my leg for safety.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
For the record, I have heard two different people make a loud snoring like noise right after a knockout strike. I have been completely laid out from a liver kick. I have actually smacked my own balls with my heel on a failed twirl kick 20 years ago and the fall onto concrete resulted in a torn sartorius muscle and pelvic ligament damage. Now I just wrap them around my leg for safety.
I can't think of anything worse than a liver shot. Fortunately, it's the most difficult strike in Martial arts to land on purpose.
I seriously wish anyone good luck with that if it's an actual plan. Anyone that says they can land it routinely is lying their *** off.

On the receiving side - It's the worst strike to get hit by if it meets the actual description of a liver shot. May you never experience it, I wouldn't wish it on anybody.

I hope to live out the rest of my life without ever getting hit with another one. Talk about ruining your day, if you've never experienced it, I hope you never do. It's akin to getting your skin caught in a zipper. (Yeah, that one.) But I'd prefer that to the liver shot. Honest.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't think of anything worse than a liver shot. Fortunately, it's the most difficult strike in Martial arts to land on purpose.
I seriously wish anyone good luck with that if it's an actual plan. Anyone that says they can land it routinely is lying their *** off.

On the receiving side - It's the worst strike to get hit by if it meets the actual description of a liver shot. May you never experience it, I wouldn't wish it on anybody.

I hope to live out the rest of my life without ever getting hit with another one. Talk about ruining your day, if you've never experienced it, I hope you never do. It's akin to getting your skin caught in a zipper. (Yeah, that one.) But I'd prefer that to the liver shot. Honest.
Luckily Iā€™ve only heard how bad ā€˜liver shotsā€™. Your account augments impressions of themā€¦graphically! šŸ˜³šŸ˜‚

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score

It was like ā€œ oh that hurt, then, oh my god, why am I on the ground dying?ā€ My partner did not try for a liver kick but I punched and turned into the kick just as he landed it. Itā€™s just a sublime experience that canā€™t accurately be described, like breaking a bone, but much worse in the short term. I would describe it as deep regret come fully to the front of my consciousness.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Luckily Iā€™ve only heard how bad ā€˜liver shotsā€™. Your account augments impressions of themā€¦graphically! šŸ˜³šŸ˜‚
It's just so strange. Only suffered it twice in a long career. But the first time I hadn't been aware of what a liver strike was, and there I was on one knee, frozen, unable to talk, unable to do anything.

All I could think (afterwards) was "What manner of fresh hell is this?" My instructor at the time, maybe the worst instructor who ever donned a gi, was standing over me asking me "is there something wrong? Do you need help?"

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have had a bit of success pushing someone's nose back.

Works well for bites. A lot faster than an eye gouge.
And less likely to result in a permanent injury, which can reduce your chances of ending up in court.

GMK Sa Bom Nim

White Belt
Reaction score
Great video find. Master Oyata's demonstrations were epic. I saw him do this several times in Kansas City when I was in my teens and 20's. He also trained someone I know who can use his techniques. I see a lot of comments in this thread that are saying this is not possible. They are wrong.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
the entire concept of pressure points is based in pseudo-science.

are there parts of the body that are more tender or sensitive than others for various reasons? sure. are you going to aggressively poke or jab a finger or two into them and cause enough damage or pain to reliably get away from an attacker or end a fight? hell no.
anyone claiming to teach self defense that teaches pressure points has never been in a real fight before.

Gotcha, so we have to use YOUR idea of what pressure points are based solely on acupuncture and not the more general and widely accepted definition that also includes nerve points, motor points, organs that the martial applications use.

Again, your idea of "how" pressure points are supposed to be used (poke or jab) shows that you don't understand them and have preconceived ideas of when and why they are used. I will reiterate ONCE AGAIN, there is a lot of BS taught with them. That does NOT mean that they are fake or can't be used.

Latest Discussions