Pressure Point seminars

D

Daniel

Maybe because many fights start with a punch or grab or some sort? It seems to make sense to attack the closest weapon, which in this case would be the hand/arm.

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Daniel said:
Maybe because many fights start with a punch or grab or some sort? It seems to make sense to attack the closest weapon, which in this case would be the hand/arm.

Certainly, but few people against whom you would need to utilize "pressure points" would simply reach out and grab you, hang on for a while, allowing you to manipulate 3 or more points to effect your KO. Typically, if there is a lapel grab, a high, hard right is following it close behind. That'd make playing with someone's arm just plain stupid since there are other issues far more important at that point...

Try this experiment... Have a friend grab you and throw a punch immediately after he closes his hand on your shirt. You try to touch, rub or hit, accurately, at least two points. When you can do 2, attempt 3.

You'll find that, if your friend is genuinely trying to hit you, you won't be able to play with his arm at all, you won't be able to hit the points accurately, if at all, and that you should have been doing something else first to keep from getting hit by your friend. Once you are in a safe place, you can play with him.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Matt Stone said:
You'll find that, if your friend is genuinely trying to hit you, you won't be able to play with his arm at all,
But that would mean real training, and sweating, having to be in good shape and spar...

Who has time for that?

Let's just poke people in the arms, call it a night and go for beer ok?

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:
But that would mean real training, and sweating, having to be in good shape and spar...

And we wouldn't want that, would we???

Who has time for that?

Apparently not too many folks... They'd rather play a pretend game of teacher or student, convince themselves how D34DLY they are, and strut around believing that they don't have to be in shape, strong, or capable to defeat that gigantic, crack junkie, bogeyman...

Let's just poke people in the arms, call it a night and go for beer ok?

Heck, if I'm in it just for a beer, I'll skip the poking entirely and go straight for the beer...

D

Daniel

I wasn't talking about knocking someone out. I just meant that if you were in a situation and had to hit someone then maybe hit the incoming weapon in a specific general area vs just slapping at them?
Would I have someone grab me and allow them to swing at me while I work on the grabbed hand... heck no! haha I just tend to address the largest threat as a standard practice, I don't consider a grab as the threat but the probable punch that would be coming immediately afterwords.

Latest Discussions