Preferred weapon choice

Cho, Yeonsoo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I don't think your allowed to carry a Kubotan either.
I check the laws regularly and it seems that there are no mentions of kubotans at all, batons, yes, kubotans, no. But you know how australia is, they see you used a pen in a fight and they'll probably try to ban pens as well :idunno:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I check the laws regularly and it seems that there are no mentions of kubotans at all, batons, yes, kubotans, no. But you know how australia is, they see you used a pen in a fight and they'll probably try to ban pens as well :idunno:

Ah but the pen has always been mightier than the sword!

As with many things it will depend on what you are doing in the fight, if you are the aggressor who initiated it or the person defending yourself. Of course the best thing is don't get in a fight to start with.

Mephisto

Black Belt
Reaction score
Well are you asking about in sport or demo or personal defense. I teach and recommend many different types especially for personal travel and hotels. But lets me frank you walk or pull out anything a Sai or even a stick/club you are likely to be shot or attacked!! After that your legal defense becomes expensive and complicated due to intent Ect. I like my students to get and use a heavy Bo or Long staff for cardio and coordination. After that transition to the Cane. I have been a fan of Cane Master's for years and really like their products. No one will bother you walking with a cane. Used properly control or disable someone or multiple people with good heavy hard wood is awesome. At my age I never travel with out steel toed shoes and now since I am traveling with back issues by plane to doctors I take my cane. Sad to say if my leg goes I need it but if someone tries to rob me or mug me they are going to be in for a treat. I was worried about TSA did not want to loose my favorite cane but it was no problem they just want to know it does not come apart with a knife or sword? I told them if it did it would be Spork to eat with.

Great point, I assume this is just a fun discussion about what a practitioner likes and that's fine. I think problems arise when martial artists answer this question in relation to personal defense. I've had guys seriously tell me they prefer nunchucks/nunchaku for self defense. I'm in the line of thought that you pull out anything martial arts looking and you're going to jail or at least court. The law and jury only know what popular culture and movies tell them about martial arts, even if it's legal to carry a martial arts weapon, it's gonna look bad if you use it with the possible exception of home invasion self defense. The same goes with knives a $500 custom karambit will make you look a little crazy to the average juror. I agree with the cane as a practical inconspicuous weapon. I think it would look a little odd for me as an able bodied, youngish, athletic beefcake (haha) to carry. But I do carry a bahi stick (garrote) when walking my dogs because I often see people jogging/walking with sticks in my area to ward off loose dogs I presume. So for that particular situation I believe a stick would be appropriate. Any other situation a stick nigt look a little out if place.

Just so you know, saying "bo staff" is sort of like saying "staff staff", since "bo" translates to staff.

C'mon I love the "staff staff!" I usually assume anyone who calls it a bostaff has know clue how to use one. But I guess it's an acceptable term to use around the non martial arts layperson for clarity.

Cho, Yeonsoo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
OP
donald1

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score

Yeah, pens are pretty dangerous; just sitting there writing a letter and a man comes to mug. Take the pen go for the eye then sweep the leg, afterward resume writing your letter but now the ink is slightly red

:lfao:

OP
donald1

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Great point, I assume this is just a fun discussion about what a practitioner likes and that's fine. I think problems arise when martial artists answer this question in relation to personal defense. I've had guys seriously tell me they prefer nunchucks/nunchaku for self defense. I'm in the line of thought that you pull out anything martial arts looking and you're going to jail or at least court. The law and jury only know what popular culture and movies tell them about martial arts, even if it's legal to carry a martial arts weapon, it's gonna look bad if you use it with the possible exception of home invasion self defense. The same goes with knives a $500 custom karambit will make you look a little crazy to the average juror. I agree with the cane as a practical inconspicuous weapon. I think it would look a little odd for me as an able bodied, youngish, athletic beefcake (haha) to carry. But I do carry a bahi stick (garrote) when walking my dogs because I often see people jogging/walking with sticks in my area to ward off loose dogs I presume. So for that particular situation I believe a stick would be appropriate. Any other situation a stick nigt look a little out if place.

C'mon I love the "staff staff!" I usually assume anyone who calls it a bostaff has know clue how to use one. But I guess it's an acceptable term to use around the non martial arts layperson for clarity.

That or just ignorant like me :) I know 6 bo forms kihone bo kata, tokumine sho, tokumine dai, sheushi, and tiger beating staff(forgot the Chinese name) and a couple bo Kumite and bunkai, I'm still just a student but i know stuff about the bo :D

The sad thing is I know this but likely im going to continue saying bo staff :uhyeah:

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Personally i like the bo staff, in the goju ryu class i go to its one of the weapons that is practiced, but I prefer that one because it gives reach and I've practiced with it enough to get an idea of what I'm doing or what I could do.

But I think my favorite weapons is the Liuyedao, I only practice one form for it(xing yi forn). I don't know which weapon i do better, I could imagine the bo staff because I practice several 1 person forms and 2 people sets.
So I'd guess my preferred weapon is the bo staff.

The reason for this thread is I'd like to hear other peoples preferred weapon choices

The bo is a good weapon but I would prefer the jo simply because its easier to find a shorter stick instead of a long stick. Being good with the bo can help if you hang out at pool tables but most of the sticks you will find (baseball bats, lacrosse sticks, ect) are going to be shorter than the bo.

I never heard of the Liuyedao before you mentioned it. I looked it up and I see its a type of sword. It looks much like a scimitar. It looks like it would be a fun weapon to learn. Swords are good weapons except you probably aren't going to be carrying one around with you all the time and you probably aren't going to find one. So for that reason sticks are more practical.

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Doesn't have to be eastern, and firearms are weapons, I didn't think of that but they are weapons too so I guess it's an acceptable choice

In that case firearms would definitely be on my list of favorite weapons but in training with weapons, however, my very favorite weapon that I train the most with would be unarmed martial arts simply because I will always have it with me. You might not always be able to have certain other weapons with you (knives, swords, guns, ect.) but you will always have the martial arts with you. As this Judo champion once said that wherever he goes he always takes Judo with him.

OP
donald1

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
The bo is a good weapon but I would prefer the jo simply because its easier to find a shorter stick instead of a long stick. Being good with the bo can help if you hang out at pool tables but most of the sticks you will find (baseball bats, lacrosse sticks, ect) are going to be shorter than the bo.

I never heard of the Liuyedao before you mentioned it. I looked it up and I see its a type of sword. It looks much like a scimitar. It looks like it would be a fun weapon to learn. Swords are good weapons except you probably aren't going to be carrying one around with you all the time and you probably aren't going to find one. So for that reason sticks are more practical.

recently i learned its actualy called a niuweidao (got a picture of mine on this website), i practice it in a kung fu form (lian huan dao)

29640-albums280-picture18907.jpg

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Blade. I do like firearms and practice my Aishu-Tibeta anytime I can. But being within a 2.5 hour drive of SIX different states, all with very different laws...carry isn't always practical.

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
recently i learned its actualy called a niuweidao (got a picture of mine on this website), i practice it in a kung fu form (lian huan dao)

29640-albums280-picture18907.jpg

There is something about the shape of the sword and the shape of the scabbard that's not quite computing.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is something about the shape of the sword and the shape of the scabbard that's not quite computing.

The scabbard will be split along the spine of the blade in the narrow section.

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Blade. I do like firearms and practice my Aishu-Tibeta anytime I can. But being within a 2.5 hour drive of SIX different states, all with very different laws...carry isn't always practical.

In some of those states, you might not be able to carry blades either.

OP
donald1

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score

Quick draw sheath for easy getting blade out sheath

The side with the rings like dirty dog said, splits and can be taken out with ease

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Not in writing, but in speech I'll sometimes use the redundant term because "bo" sounds the same as "bow" and I want to be clear whether I'm speaking of the melee weapon or the projectile weapon.