Preferred weapon choice

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Personally i like the bo staff, in the goju ryu class i go to its one of the weapons that is practiced, but I prefer that one because it gives reach and I've practiced with it enough to get an idea of what I'm doing or what I could do.

But I think my favorite weapons is the Liuyedao, I only practice one form for it(xing yi forn). I don't know which weapon i do better, I could imagine the bo staff because I practice several 1 person forms and 2 people sets.
So I'd guess my preferred weapon is the bo staff.

The reason for this thread is I'd like to hear other peoples preferred weapon choices

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm assuming you meant to disallow firearms?

A knife. Preferably one actually designed for fighting (as opposed to skinning or camp use) with an 8-12" blade and strong (but not bulky) quillions. If you've ever seen a main gauche, that would be close. It's concealable, fast, deadly and useful both offensively an defensively.

If I don't need to conceal it, then I'll still take the main gauche, but I'll pair it with a good rapier.

If it has to be an eastern weapon, then a katana, of course.

OP
donald1

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Doesn't have to be eastern, and firearms are weapons, I didn't think of that but they are weapons too so I guess it's an acceptable choice

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
In that case, my first choice is a firearm, naturally. Chic-Chic-POW wins. You know what they say about brining a knife to a gun fight.
If you're allowing firearms, then for long range I'll want a .50 cal sniper rifle. Closer in, I'll want a tactical shotgun with a 50 round drum. Closer than that, a handgun. If concealment isn't needed, I love love love the Glock 34. It's concealable, but just barely. Same with my Ruger P95. If I need to conceal, then I just picked up a Taurus PT111 Millennium G2 that has really impressed me. Super concealable? The Bersa Thunder 380 that Sue carries.

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In that case, my first choice is a firearm, naturally. Chic-Chic-POW wins. You know what they say about brining a knife to a gun fight.
If you're allowing firearms, then for long range I'll want a .50 cal sniper rifle. Closer in, I'll want a tactical shotgun with a 50 round drum. Closer than that, a handgun. If concealment isn't needed, I love love love the Glock 34. It's concealable, but just barely. Same with my Ruger P95. If I need to conceal, then I just picked up a Taurus PT111 Millennium G2 that has really impressed me. Super concealable? The Bersa Thunder 380 that Sue carries.

Looks like an assault rifle to me.
$RONI-G1_Weapon-500x500.jpg

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't have a weapon of choice per se, as we don't walk around armed where I am from.

But I've always liked a kukri knife, I don't know how practical they are in combat, or in general for that matter, but I like the look of them.

Otherwise, I'm a fan of the bokken.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
For fun, just because I find the study of it enjoyable, a single handed sword, and right now it would be something like a cutlass or short saber.

For practical reasons I prefer a pistol, and right now my carry is a Glock 26, but that doesn't mean I enjoy the study of it the way I do the sword.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Personally i like the bo staff, in the goju ryu class i go to its one of the weapons that is practiced, but I prefer that one because it gives reach and I've practiced with it enough to get an idea of what I'm doing or what I could do.

But I think my favorite weapons is the Liuyedao, I only practice one form for it(xing yi forn). I don't know which weapon i do better, I could imagine the bo staff because I practice several 1 person forms and 2 people sets.
So I'd guess my preferred weapon is the bo staff.

Just so you know, saying "bo staff" is sort of like saying "staff staff", since "bo" translates to staff.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I like the JO if not that then my carry knife ( no it is not legal to carry most places)

Master Dan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well are you asking about in sport or demo or personal defense. I teach and recommend many different types especially for personal travel and hotels. But lets me frank you walk or pull out anything a Sai or even a stick/club you are likely to be shot or attacked!! After that your legal defense becomes expensive and complicated due to intent Ect. I like my students to get and use a heavy Bo or Long staff for cardio and coordination. After that transition to the Cane. I have been a fan of Cane Master's for years and really like their products. No one will bother you walking with a cane. Used properly control or disable someone or multiple people with good heavy hard wood is awesome. At my age I never travel with out steel toed shoes and now since I am traveling with back issues by plane to doctors I take my cane. Sad to say if my leg goes I need it but if someone tries to rob me or mug me they are going to be in for a treat. I was worried about TSA did not want to loose my favorite cane but it was no problem they just want to know it does not come apart with a knife or sword? I told them if it did it would be Spork to eat with.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Well are you asking about in sport or demo or personal defense. I teach and recommend many different types especially for personal travel and hotels. But lets me frank you walk or pull out anything a Sai or even a stick/club you are likely to be shot or attacked!! After that your legal defense becomes expensive and complicated due to intent Ect. I like my students to get and use a heavy Bo or Long staff for cardio and coordination. After that transition to the Cane. I have been a fan of Cane Master's for years and really like their products. No one will bother you walking with a cane. Used properly control or disable someone or multiple people with good heavy hard wood is awesome. At my age I never travel with out steel toed shoes and now since I am traveling with back issues by plane to doctors I take my cane. Sad to say if my leg goes I need it but if someone tries to rob me or mug me they are going to be in for a treat. I was worried about TSA did not want to loose my favorite cane but it was no problem they just want to know it does not come apart with a knife or sword? I told them if it did it would be Spork to eat with.

A spork cane. What a great visual! Nearly choked on my coffee. :)

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
The reason for this thread is I'd like to hear other peoples preferred weapon choices

Preferred weapon for What?
Many weapons, all have specific aspects and designed for particular uses.
I train firearms, pistols, rifles, and shotguns. I also train sling shots, flexible weapons, hinged weapons, bladed, pointed, and impact weapons, long and short. Spray, optical, and weapons of opportunity (anything that can be picked up). When traveling on commercial airlines the weapons of choice are considerable different than going into a combat zone or my everyday carry.

In my home - Benelli M-2 and other fire arms. (there is a bladed weapon and a firearm in every room in my home.)

As to my on my person everyday carry for regular routine days. Two folders, one fixed blade, a 200 lumens flashlight, a tactical pen, a multi-tool with needle nose pliers, a one hand release leather belt, 2) 48 inch handcuff wraps, and a Glock 19 w 2 15 rd mags.
There are times I carry a walking stick or cane.

OP
donald1

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score

The weapon you prefer, it doesn't have to fall in anything specific, just what issue your preference choice

The reason why ask, it's interesting seeing various opinions

Master Dan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The weapon you prefer, it doesn't have to fall in anything specific, just what issue your preference choice

The reason why ask, it's interesting seeing various opinions
Well you should be getting some but still define demo in the DoJang DoJo or self defense. I love the Sai chrome finish with spot lights or even better Tai chi Long Sword real metal not the tin foil swords. Just an amusing note people who have beginner skill trying to do 3 section staff can be amusing when one section tends to wap them in the head or between the legs.

I think I am going to build Spork Numb chukka and beat up seniors so I can get first in line at Golden Coral Buffet :cheers:

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Preferred weapon for What?
Many weapons, all have specific aspects and designed for particular uses.
I train firearms, pistols, rifles, and shotguns. I also train sling shots, flexible weapons, hinged weapons, bladed, pointed, and impact weapons, long and short. Spray, optical, and weapons of opportunity (anything that can be picked up). When traveling on commercial airlines the weapons of choice are considerable different than going into a combat zone or my everyday carry.

In my home - Benelli M-2 and other fire arms. (there is a bladed weapon and a firearm in every room in my home.)

As to my on my person everyday carry for regular routine days. Two folders, one fixed blade, a 200 lumens flashlight, a tactical pen, a multi-tool with needle nose pliers, a one hand release leather belt, 2) 48 inch handcuff wraps, and a Glock 19 w 2 15 rd mags.
There are times I carry a walking stick or cane.

Your everyday carry reminds me of the story about the cop who pulled over an old lady, and she was carrying a couple of guns. He asked her what she was afraid of, and her response was "absolutely nothing" :)

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My preferred weapon for protection away from home is my Glock 27. At home, my Remington 870 Express Magnum 12 Gauge.
For fun, my nunchaku.

Cho, Yeonsoo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
since I train in only TKD (thinking of joining Hapkido soon. I'm a HUGE patriot to my country) we don't use weapons. My instructor also does Hapkido and thus teaches us staff techniques, our grandmaster is also practitioner of Hapkido (9th dan in TKD and Hapkido) he decided to put in Sangjeolbong and JangBong into our TKD syllabus. I prefer the Sanjeolbong to the JangBong. But for self defence, since I live in the nanny country of Australia, I can only carry a Kubotan :(

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
since I train in only TKD (thinking of joining Hapkido soon. I'm a HUGE patriot to my country) we don't use weapons. My instructor also does Hapkido and thus teaches us staff techniques, our grandmaster is also practitioner of Hapkido (9th dan in TKD and Hapkido) he decided to put in Sangjeolbong and JangBong into our TKD syllabus. I prefer the Sanjeolbong to the JangBong. But for self defence, since I live in the nanny country of Australia, I can only carry a Kubotan :(

I don't think your allowed to carry a Kubotan either.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't have a weapon of choice per se, as we don't walk around armed where I am from.

But I've always liked a kukri knife, I don't know how practical they are in combat, or in general for that matter, but I like the look of them.

Otherwise, I'm a fan of the bokken.

Kukris come in different sizes for different jobs, my shift partner a Gurkha was telling us about them. In the west we've made up a lot of myths about them ( such as every time a Gurkha soldier takes his kukri out it has to 'taste' blood ie cut his finger before it goes back, that's rubbish) He says they are everyday work knives, large ones for clearing woods, chopping logs etc, smaller ones for kitchen use. The ones the soldiers carry are used for anything you would need a normal knife for.

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kukris come in different sizes for different jobs, my shift partner a Gurkha was telling us about them. In the west we've made up a lot of myths about them ( such as every time a Gurkha soldier takes his kukri out it has to 'taste' blood ie cut his finger before it goes back, that's rubbish) He says they are everyday work knives, large ones for clearing woods, chopping logs etc, smaller ones for kitchen use. The ones the soldiers carry are used for anything you would need a normal knife for.
I actually need a new blade for when I go out in the bush. Might look into getting one.

I'll let it taste the blood of fish each night, and a taste of beer.

Latest Discussions