Power VS. Technique - What's your opinion?

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would like to see what those in the stick and knife arts have to say on this subject. The OP was about all arts not just hand/foot /grappling or so I read it
BTW a very interesting thread

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Count me in the "technique" category. You may well have power with poor technique, but you will have MORE power with good technique.

With weapons, I'd be even more firmly in the "technique above all" class. With many weapons (anything sharp, for example) power is less important. It doesn't take any significant amount of power to put a blade through someones body.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What is the technique to fight off 3 or more attackers? If they are already upon you there will be no time for technique.
if there is no room for technique you have already lost brute power is nothing without something to do with it

23rdwave

Green Belt
Reaction score
I am not talking about brute power but rather what is referred to as internal power or, more correctly, vital energy. There is no time for technique when all one has is a split second to respond to an attack. It is our own natural body state, our vital energy, that one needs to capture and hold onto.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am not talking about brute power but rather what is referred to as internal power or, more correctly, vital energy. There is no time for technique when all one has is a split second to respond to an attack. It is our own natural body state, our vital energy, that one needs to capture and hold onto.

Sorry, magic isn't going to help you.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I will agree and agree to disagree
With proper training over time the body will learn to react before the thinking mind will reconcile the problem and this is technique that has been trained. I will also agree with you that which we call internal power may well save your life because it can help protect you. So we agree on some of this and maybe not on all

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What is the technique to fight off 3 or more attackers? If they are already upon you there will be no time for technique.

That would one way to look at the situation. But you're looking at "no time for technique" in the wrong way.

First, your game plan should be - Strategy first, tactics second, techniques last. Mechanics are more important than techniques, but principles are more important than mechanics. Techniques and mechanics may change, principles do not.

As for time - Reaction time is three components.
1. Stimulus - data input from senses
2. Threat recognition - orientation
3. Physical response - decide and get to it
Good idea to practice scenarios with threat recognition. It will shorten response times. With multiples...do not let second opponent enter the third phase with you. You need to get the hell out of reaction mode and into counter action mode. You make them react to you, not you to them.

Physical motion is related to time. He who owns time, wins. Positive time frame - strike. Negative time frame - anything else. Blocking and striking in one motion is one beat instead of two. And I know what you're probably thinking - "Your opponent is allowed the same time frame you are."
yes, he is, but, It's not so much who does what, it's who does what, when.
Put opponents in negative time frames, you got them. Or at least just made your job easier.

Is fighting three people easy? We all know that answer, Hell no. No one said it was going to be easy.

Find a good instructor who knows training for multiples. You'll have a ball. Do that, and If you'ld like, I'll send you some notes.

23rdwave

Green Belt
Reaction score
That would one way to look at the situation. But you're looking at "no time for technique" in the wrong way.

First, your game plan should be - Strategy first, tactics second, techniques last. Mechanics are more important than techniques, but principles are more important than mechanics. Techniques and mechanics may change, principles do not.

As for time - Reaction time is three components.
1. Stimulus - data input from senses
2. Threat recognition - orientation
3. Physical response - decide and get to it
Good idea to practice scenarios with threat recognition. It will shorten response times. With multiples...do not let second opponent enter the third phase with you. You need to get the hell out of reaction mode and into counter action mode. You make them react to you, not you to them.

Physical motion is related to time. He who owns time, wins. Positive time frame - strike. Negative time frame - anything else. Blocking and striking in one motion is one beat instead of two. And I know what you're probably thinking - "Your opponent is allowed the same time frame you are."
yes, he is, but, It's not so much who does what, it's who does what, when.
Put opponents in negative time frames, you got them. Or at least just made your job easier.

Is fighting three people easy? We all know that answer, Hell no. No one said it was going to be easy.

Find a good instructor who knows training for multiples. You'll have a ball. Do that, and If you'ld like, I'll send you some notes.

One needs to train a six directional body not a bunch of worthless techniques. When the fight happens if one thinks about what to do (technique) it is already too late.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
One needs to train a six directional body not a bunch of worthless techniques. When the fight happens if one thinks about what to do (technique) it is already too late.

I'm sorry, I don't understand. What do you mean by "six directional body"? And which worthless techniques?

23rdwave

Green Belt
Reaction score
I'm sorry, I don't understand. What do you mean by "six directional body"? And which worthless techniques?
The six directions are up/down, front/back, and left/right. The martial body should expand in all six of these directions at the same time.

In a real fight most techniques are worthless. This is why every youtube fight between martial artists of different disciplines degenerates into a kickboxing match.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The six directions are up/down, front/back, and left/right. The martial body should expand in all six of these directions at the same time.

In a real fight most techniques are worthless. This is why every youtube fight between martial artists of different disciplines degenerates into a kickboxing match.

I'm still a little confused (nothing new there) How does the body expand in all six of those directions at the same time?

But, we seem to be in agreement in part. As I said, in dealing with multiples, strategy first, tactics second, technique last.

23rdwave

Green Belt
Reaction score
I'm still a little confused (nothing new there) How does the body expand in all six of those directions at the same time?

But, we seem to be in agreement in part. As I said, in dealing with multiples, strategy first, tactics second, technique last.

Santi Shi - Trinity Pile Standing
Six-direction Force "When you have developed the physical ability to hold the Santi Shi posture correctly, you should begin to train your mind in more detail.
Although your body will appear to an outside observer to be motionless during Santi standing, many changes and feelings of movement will be
occurring inside your body. It is said of this state that “Outside there is stillness but inside there is movement.”

Last edited by a moderator: