Examples of Previous Training NOT helping?

Drose427

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
We've all seen/taught guys with past experience who catch one quick because of prior experiences, habits, and training.

Couple personal examples and from my school.

4 years of TSD and 2 of wrestling gave me a good sense of leverage and the ability to predict, strategize, and adapt in sparring. So when i roll with my BJJ friends(regularly with a white and 2 fresh blue belts,) who are more technically skilled, and regardless of size and strength difference im usually able to submit them as much as they can me simply by being more mindful and strategic than they are able to be right now. I also get weird subs that are "in between" techs but give me the leverage on a joint or a choke all the same.

As expected, if i roll with them at their gym the higher belt guys crush me

Another would be 3 of us in my Dojang are ex boxers (myself and two older gentlemen) and it shows in our guards in in sparring and the similar lifghtfooted movement, focus, breathing etc. When 2 of us were white belts we were praised for having a good grasp of them already.

We all have storys of these, but what of the opposite?

For instance, it is EXTREMELY awkward for me to try
and throw Muay Thai or any kind of straight legged roundhouse. Im so used to high knee raise kicks that it just feels weird.

Its not important or anything, as i can kick as hard as the MT/MMA/Kickboxing guys i train with, but its frustrating to know i'd have to put it a good bit of work change up how i throw a roundhouse for whatever reason

Ive also heard wrestlers who started in BJJ say that it was a hard transition because of their instincts to submit (idk if i buy that however)

Anyway, it just sparked my interest and im curious as to what other examples we can come up with.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
When I was training in more than one striking arts, there were differences in the methodology that was definitely problematic. I remember being in my kenpo class, drilling punches and thinking to myself "this is ruining my white crane technique."

Shai Hulud

Purple Belt
Reaction score
The thing with Sambo is that it borrows a lot from other martial arts apart from Judo, so even though they both branch out from the Japanese Jujitsu family of arts, I had difficulties trying to teach myself how to blend striking and grappling, as where in Judo it was purely a matter of grappling. Felt unusual for a few weeks, but things worked out.

OP
D

Drose427

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
When I was training in more than one striking arts, there were differences in the methodology that was definitely problematic. I remember being in my kenpo class, drilling punches and thinking to myself "this is ruining my white crane technique."

I remember the first time i drilled TSD hand techs. I kept wanting to throw boxing combos instead TSD hand combos, to this day when i drill either i have to be really mindful not to slip in to the other, definitely understand your pain there!

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What will happen when you eat steak and salad, in your stomach, both food will be mixed together. Whether the mixed ratio is

- 40% steak, 60% salad, or
- 50% steak, 50% salad, or
- 60% steak, 40% salad, or

depends on the ratio of the steak and salad that you have put into your mouth.

What will happen when you have cross trained both style A and style B? Will you use

- style A on Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and
- style B on Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday?

You will use the integration of A and B on each and every day of the week. If style A is your "major" and style B is your "minor". The skill that you are using will be your "major style A plus some minor style B flavor".

The Beijing PE University Olympic Judo coach Wang De-Ying taught his student Shuai-Chiao, Judo, and wrestling. All his students grappling skill have all 3 styles flavors. Some may have one flavor more than the other.

Last edited:

crazydiamond

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I came in to my class the same time as a black belt, and a brown belt came from other systems, also have seen people from various other arts come in (TKD is common). They maybe (maybe) had a small advantage, but for the most part they had no huge advantage over a complete newbie as me. But I also study alot out side of class.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was sparing a brown belt from another school, when just a wee blue belt, and he was standing, in a way I thought was dangerous: Low front guard; high rear guard; so, I kicked at the low guard, and broke his arm... ooops!

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I had the exact opposite. Was being taught WC, and had to stop because it was ruining my kenpo.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've had to un-train more than a few people over the years. No other way to put it, really. They were all from the same place, too.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It also doesn't help when you're used to a certain level. And then when you go to other 'places' and even the 'grandmaster' is a P.O.S. you will not accept their 'expertise'.
PS: There are many ways for the same end. And there are ways that are simply useless.

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Teaching "True Time" with weapons to people with largely unarmed backgrounds can be challenging. To start the strike with the hand and have the body follow is very counterintuitive, especially for people from the "step and then strike"" type of arts.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I had the exact opposite. Was being taught WC, and had to stop because it was ruining my kenpo.
Yup, it depends on which one you have a greater affinity for. Go with that. Anything else is causing you problems. You need one consistent methodology, not a dozen different ways to manifest the same punch.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Teaching "True Time" with weapons to people with largely unarmed backgrounds can be challenging. To start the strike with the hand and have the body follow is very counterintuitive, especially for people from the "step and then strike"" type of arts.

Yeah i go left handed because right foot right hand messes me up.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

What was the biggest conflict? That is, what was it about the Wing Chun you were training that conflicted most with your Kempo?

Azulx

Black Belt
Reaction score
I took a couple boxing classes, and I really struggled coming from TKD. I was using to switching stance constantly and for boxing they wanted me to use one stance. Not to mention the complex handwork was foreign to me.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What was the biggest conflict? That is, what was it about the Wing Chun you were training that conflicted most with your Kempo?
I don't know about Kempo. But I have taught a class with 1 hour WC followed by 1 hour of long fist with no rest in between. It didn't work at all. 3 months later, I had to stop the WC part. From the students respond, the following are conflicts:

1. Long fist uses bow arrow stance that your body from the back foot to the head make one perfect straight line. WC doesn't use it.
2. When long fist punches, the punching hand, front shoulder, and back shoulder form a perfect straight line. WC doesn't use it.
3. Long fist use side stance. WC doesn't use it.
4. Long fist use high kicks. WC uses low kicks,
5. ...

3 and 4 may not be important, but 1, and 2 are the major conflicts.

Last edited:

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I took a couple boxing classes, and I really struggled coming from TKD. I was using to switching stance constantly and for boxing they wanted me to use one stance. Not to mention the complex handwork was foreign to me.

I've never trained western boxing, but I have sparred boxers. The hardest part for me was not kicking them, or using things like ridge hands.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

This makes perfect sense, since unarmed systems rely on body mechanics to generate levels of force that simply are not needed for weapons (specifically, sharp weapons) combat. A thrust with a rapier using nothing but the arm is going to work just fine. A punch using just the arm... not so much.

Azulx

Black Belt
Reaction score
I've never trained western boxing, but I have sparred boxers. The hardest part for me was not kicking them, or using things like ridge hands.

Spar them in boxing? Or in a freestyle sense?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Spar them in boxing? Or in a freestyle sense?

Spar them using only punching. No kicking. No spinning techniques. No open hand techniques. No grabbing. No throwing. No sweeping.

Latest Discussions