Posture & Power

Status
Not open for further replies.

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
I posted this video on another thread, but the thread was dying and it didn't get much response. But since it speaks to several things that have been talked about here recently I decided to put it up on its own. I made this last year. My thinking has changed a little bit since then and I do some things a bit differently after starting my study of Chu Sau Lei Wing Chun. But for the most part I think what I say and show here is not far off. If you take the time to watch the whole thing you will see:

1. The dreaded "Wing Chun slouch" and what to do about it.
2. What I consider "optimal" biomechanics, which includes using the hips.
3. The difference between a Wing Chun punch and a western boxer's rear cross.
4. Hendrik's "hydraulic" model demo'd before I even knew that's what you would call it! :)
5. Keeping the elbow coupled to the hip.
6. My definition of "short power."

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I like your clip. I can clear see the power generation come from your "body unification" and not just come from "moving your arm without moving your body". I also respect you to put up your personal clip. This way we can match face with post and get to know each other better. Thanks for putting up this clip.

Reactions: KPM

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I posted this video on another thread, but the thread was dying and it didn't get much response. But since it speaks to several things that have been talked about here recently I decided to put it up on its own. I made this last year. My thinking has changed a little bit since then and I do some things a bit differently after starting my study of Chu Sau Lei Wing Chun. But for the most part I think what I say and show here is not far off. If you take the time to watch the whole thing you will see:

Frankly Keith, I had no intention of watching the whole 20 minute clip.

But I did. And it was really worth it. Most of what you've come up with is amazingly close to where my own thinking has been heading. There are a few differences. For example, true to my lineage, I still favor a more back weighted stance, and shifting my weight and centerline when I turn ...but only in response to overbearing pressure -- like a shock absorber. And overall, most everything you cover does seem like common sense to me, and more importantly, it works for me too.

Oh well, it just goes to show that great minds think alike. :D

BTW after having some shoulder problems some years back, I routinely do that same backwards arm stretch in a doorway, exactly as you demonstrated. It has really helped. And the dreaded WC slouch has to be avoided at all costs!

Reactions: KPM

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
And from a point of view different to WC, FWIW, it is exactly what I teach also.

wtxs

Brown Belt
Reaction score

1. The dreaded "Wing Chun slouch" and what to do about it.
2. What I consider "optimal" biomechanics, which includes using the hips.
3. The difference between a Wing Chun punch and a western boxer's rear cross.
4. Hendrik's "hydraulic" model demo'd before I even knew that's what you would call it! :)
5. Keeping the elbow coupled to the hip.
6. My definition of "short power."

As you and others had pointed out in reference to item #4, the so called newly minted/discovered WC lost secret is nothing more but self promotion. Snake engine, snake body, snake slide ... I say SNAKE OIL ... step right up and get your very own bottle, if you believe it cures what ails you, more power to you.

Hendrik

Green Belt
Reaction score
K,

Seriously, what you post is not what I shared .

Yes, there is force flow , sake engine,.... Etc. you can't grasp it because your body is not develop for it. It is like a worm cannot think what a butterfly does.

Robert Chu knows it, Phil Romero knows it, Navin knows it. Sergio knows it , Jim knows it.........ect knows it. Their body is developed for it. It is not what you think. That is forsure.

Is it a marketing ? Snake oil? .....etc.
nope
it is as real as gold

Hendrik

Green Belt
Reaction score
As you and others had pointed out in reference to item #4, the so called newly minted/discovered WC lost secret is nothing more but self promotion. Snake engine, snake body, snake slide ... I say SNAKE OIL ... step right up and get your very own bottle, if you believe it cures what ails you, more power to you.

You are free to have your opinion. But you certainly don't know what it is when you made your comment

OP
K

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
K,

Yes, there is force flow , sake engine,.... Etc. you can't grasp it because your body is not develop for it. It is like a worm cannot think what a butterfly does.

Robert Chu knows it, Phil Romero knows it, Navin knows it. Sergio knows it , Jim knows it.........ect knows it. Their body is developed for it. It is not what you think. That is forsure.

nope
it is as real as gold

Hendrik, what I showed is EXACTLY what you described on more than one video as the difference between the "mechanical" and the "hydraulic" models. You clearly indicated in your videos that the difference was up close and short range with short power compared to further out with more extended punches and "long arm" power. You've said that more than once. That is what I showed in my video. Is that "snake engine"? I don't know. I said only that it is what YOU described as the "hydraulic" model. Look, I've been trying to help you out and support you, but you seem to be your own worse enemy when it comes to these things. You could have easily said..."yes! Keith has a good grasp of the hydraulic model! But this is only the surface level. There is more to it than can be easily seen in a video." But you didn't. Instead you say "what you post is not what I shared"......"you can't grasp it because your body is not develop for it." At every turn you seem to work against yourself, and I don't think you can even see that. It's a shame, because I truly believe there is something in what you are saying. But it suffers from your presentation.

zuti car

Blue Belt
Reaction score
K,

nope
it is as real as gold
Is it possible to meet you or sergio or robert ...and touch hands ?

Kwan Sau

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Is it possible to meet you or sergio or robert ...and touch hands ?

Doubtful...but perhaps you could meet them in a special biofeedback lab where you can view all the data you want! :D
(but not touch hands...), besides, why would you want to get all that hydraulic fluid on you!?!?!?!?!?

OP
K

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
In the other thread Hendrik wrote:

"The reason one would not be able to grasp it because one has not yet develop the body to do what I do in the video"

First we have this clip, starting at the 30 second mark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMoGslryWzc

And this clip starting at the 1:30 mark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcT4wqkLRxA

Hendrik comments that there is nothing secret, there is no mystical “woo woo” about this. It is simply two different power generation methods. As I noted above, one of the primary differences between these two methods is that one is “up close” and short range with short power compared to the other which is further out with more extended punches and "long arm" power. Hendrik states this explicitly in the first clip.

So again, I invite anyone to please go back to my video in the OP at the 12:30 mark and tell me if I am not showing the “up close” and short range version of these two models? Am I not showing the EXACT same thing that Hendrik is showing in the videos above?

Now, I will say this. After starting my study of Chu Sau Lei WCK and learning more about the “Force Flow” methods from that, I am missing something in what I am showing in my video. But this something is not seen or explained in Hendriks videos either. So again, to the observer that knows no difference, what I am showing and what Hendrik is showing on video is the same thing.

So what am I missing? I don't think I am totally off, as Hendrik wants to suggest. I show using the Kua to generate power up through the spine and out through an elbow structure coupled to the hip. I am connecting to the ground and punching from the ground up. But I am missing a few elements and it can be done better. Now I realize that I can sink and load more into my lower body, like compressing a spring. This engages the “bows” of the lower body better. Then I can rise a bit as the “spring” releases and get even better power. I know now that in my video I was putting a little too much emphasis on the hip. A smaller motion is better because it couples better with the lower “bows.” If you watch Hendrik in his clips he is sinking a bit into his stance as well before releasing the force into the dummy.

But rather than acknowledge that anyone else may be on the right track, I’m sure Hendrik will continue to deny that anyone other than someone that has experienced this directly from him could have any inkling of what he is doing!

I get very frustrated because I know there is value in what Hendrik is saying. But the way he presents it just turns too many people off. I try to help him out, and since I haven't visited him directly he denies anything I would say in support.

Is Hendrik a "snake oil" salesman? Absolutely not! Just go through his posts! He is NO kind of salesman! ;-) Is this a "marketing" thing? If it is, it isn't a very successful one! No, I think Hendrik is more like the physics professor who thinks he has discovered something new. He tells all his colleagues that he has found something very important but they just can't understand it because they don't know his math. He hasn't published yet, so no one really knows what he is talking about. They tell him "but it sounds like your new physics theory is just a variation on "X"! He tells them "no, it uses a different formula." He shows some results of his theory, and other physicists say "but that looks like the same result when I use "X" application! He tells them "no, your math is different." They say "I think I know where you are coming from because I also use "X" formula." He tells them "no, you couldn't possibly know what I am talking about." But until the professor puts his full theory with all the math, explanations, and applications out there in publication for all to see, no one is going to just accept it at his word. I think that's where Hendrik is at.

Kwan Sau

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I’m sure Hendrik will continue to deny that anyone other than someone that has experienced this directly from him could have any inkling of what he is doing!

I think you are correct. He hurts himself more than he helps himself with his 'holier-than-thou' attitude. It's sad really. What a miserable way to go through life.
Good for him (and his constituents) if they have found a missing link in their WC journey...that is a good thing I guess. But, the consistent "you guys can't possibly have what I have" mantra is quite pathetic. I think the only way he'll listen or acknowledge anyone on this is if they happen to come across an even more "ancient" version of WC. ;)

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
WC isn't about what is more ancient, original, or secret. It is about efficiency and practicality. Hendrick seems to be looking strictly to the past to find keys to unlock WC's secrets. Sometimes he may find interesting and useful stuff. But more often it comes across as so much malarky to me.

Keith, on the other hand, strikes me forward-looking, trying to develop and evolve his WC, testing ideas with an open mind and common sense reasoning.

In the end, I don't see how you can reconcile these two perspectives.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
KPM he can't allow that anyone else understands or has the skill and attribute. That would not allow him to promote him having something no one has or understands.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions