Portland, ME seminar was fantastic!

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, Discovery 2007 is a thing of the past now. I can't wait until I get to see the DVD made during the seminar because there is just no way I can remember everything from memory. This was my first one I had the pleasure of going to, but it will not be my last! I am already looking forward to next year. For those of you who didn't get the chance to go, you missed some great training and some good laughs. The energy level was through the roof Saturday morning and was still going strong when it broke up Sunday afternoon.

John Poliquin started things off and was up to his usual flawless standard. I was a bit shocked when he didn't deal in ground fighting for his teaching block. Shocked, but not disappointed, because he has such a depth of knowledge everything he does is a treat to try.

After lunch Ms. Tori Eldridge from California, and Marc Jobin from Quebec each did an 1 1/2 hour block, and to tell the truth I can't remember who was first and who followed, but it really doesn't matter because both did a great job. Ms. Eldridge showed everybody something she has been working on for the past year and how to loosen up your body to flow much more fluid and less stiff. I know it will be a loooooong time before I can move anywhere near as smooth as that lady can. She is like watching a silk sheet hung in a light breeze, just so smooth and flowing that changes in direction happen one place without disrupting the movement everywhere else. I can't even begin to discribe it really, it is something you have to see.
Marc Jobin covered some locks and was up to the last pain threshold I experenced at one of his other seminars. :) He also did a couple of things from a headlock position and really opened some eyes to how vastly important timing can be. He is a soft spoken guy that is just so gracious and knowlegable he can hold your attention for a very long time. His 1 1/2 hour block was over before it seemed possible. I never had so much fun grimacing with my head scrubbing across carpet while trying to tap out, then jumping up and asking for it to happen again just so I could see how it was done. That is the type of energy and enthusiasim he brings with him, and imparts to you, anywhere he goes. I see many trips to Quebec in my future!

Day 2 brought Hardee Merritt first covering some ground fighting and several different methods for obtaining the desired outcome. He has a unique teaching style that works very well. Picture being taught 4 techiniques: A, B, C, then D. Then tying it together by starting with "C" which sets up for "A" then you can finish with either "B" or "D". Or any number of different combinations of those techniques. It limits the "but we did it A,B,C,D; and now that I try it I get stuck at C" type of mentality that can trip up somebody; because they are all stand alone pieces of a giant puzzle which every other piece can fit whever it is needed in no particular order or number. He did a great job and has given everybody there a ton of material to work on.

After Hardee, was Brett Varnum. What can I say about Brett? I know - "Thanks, my wrists still hurt!" :) Mr. Varnum covered some rather painful wrist locks, and went through a number of different methods of applying them; from punches at you, to hand grabs, and everything in between. Then how to flow into take-downs from them as needed. Brett is a BIG guy who moves like smoke, but lands like a ton of bricks. (Ask my brother who got to be uke for that part.)

After lunch day two, John called up some Instructors from other schools and had them each give a quick 20 minute lesson on whatever technique they chose. It was refreshing to see what is happening in other parts of the Country and the World. One of the Instructors was a guy from South Africa who I had the pleasure of training with a bit during the week-end and he had some insights of how to get out of the lock Brett had us do just a couple of hours before if they were not applied perfectly. Kind of viewing both sides of the same coin. Rick was amazing in his talant and willingness to share whatever he could with everybody from white belt up.
Another Instructor just pissed me off (at myself). One minute there he was in a grapple, or arm bar, then the next you are laying on your back looking at ceiling tile wondering how in the hell you got there. Dennis could put his hands in his Gi top and just make you wreck yourself. It was simply the most amazing demonstration of taijitsu I have ever witnessed or felt. I don't know if I can ever achive that level, but it is my new goal in training! Thank you Dennis for giving me a fleeting glance at how taijitsu should be done! :asian:
Loren (my brother and regular instructor) showed a method of drawing a punch while moving to the outside of the attacker and knocking the breath out of them in one smooth flowing movement, then clamping off any chance they have of refilling their lungs of the breath you just knocked out of them, thus inducing what he refers to as "nighty, night time" in a very, very short time frame. It is a particularly nasty thing to have done to you (he perfected the grab on me one afternoon much to my dismay.) Then showed how to have an agressor give you whatever limb you may want during a scuffle. Kind if neat actually.
The other three I forgot their names right now, but did some really neat variations to things covered elsewhere during the seminar.

Next year be there if you can, it is worth every penny! And as Hardee kept saying "buy the DVD!" that way you will not forget what you see there. :)

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hi Scott—ah, so that's what you've been up to—was wondering, somewhere in the dim closets of what I jokingly call my mind, why you hadn't been posting for the last little while. Sounds as though you had a fantastic time, and also as though it'll take you a good chunk of time to assimilate all the new information you took back from your workshop. Which is just as it should be!

I don't do Taijutsu or know anything about it, but it sounds as though it was a perfect weekend training orgy for people who do do it. Anyway, welcome home! :)

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cool!!! Thanks for the review!! Sounds like everyone had a great time!! :)

Mike

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Scott that sounds so fantastic, man I wish i was there although I do not do your Art sounds like alot of great training was done.

OP
bydand

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yep, that is where I was from mid-day Friday until returning late Sunday night. It didn't help that Saturday was the first day and Friday night a bunch of us from Maine, North Carolina, and Quebec got together for a few cold ones which turned into a late night of talking and laughing and we all were so tired in the morning.

Exile you are right, there is so much information to process that I'll be working on things I saw, for years to come. Taijitsu is just body movement, and that was just freaky how little movement from him, opened up large spaces and gaps you just fell into because your balance was gone for just a brief moment in time. By the time you recovered balance in one direction he had shifted slightly another and yet another loss of balance and another space to fill until eventually you are on the ground and he is right on top of you, or he is just walking away.

Mike and Terry, it was simply the best seminar I've ever been to. So many different types of instructors and such a vast spectrum of techniques it was mind boggling. Plus the atomsphere was fantastic, people just jumping in to help each other and train with you. I met more great people there and trained with such a huge amount of different body sizes and shapes it was awsome.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey Scott I am glad you had a great time.
icon14.gif

OP
bydand

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hey Scott,

This Dennis fellow... who is he and where is he from?

I don't remember his last name right now. Starts with a M... but that is all I remember. I'll have to ask tonight and get back to you. He is from the Boston area and is Bujinkan. Simply fantastic movement.

drewski6655

White Belt
Reaction score
just thought i'd let you know dennis's last name...which is mahoney. i have the pleasure of training with him and am continually amazed. dennis trains with mark davis out of boston martial arts.

Brian King

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Thanks Dreski6655 and welcome to Martial Talk
Dennis Mahoney who trains with Mark Davis out of Boston Martial Arts that is interesting

Thanks again Scott for the review and the continued follow up posts.

Brian King

OP
bydand

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
just thought i'd let you know dennis's last name...which is mahoney. i have the pleasure of training with him and am continually amazed. dennis trains with mark davis out of boston martial arts.

Thanks Dreski6655 and welcome to Martial Talk
Dennis Mahoney who trains with Mark Davis out of Boston Martial Arts that is interesting

Thanks again Scott for the review and the continued follow up posts.

Brian King

Forgot to follow up on this post about Dennis' last name, sorry.

Another Martial Talker also trains with Dennis and my regular Instructor has gone down to train with him after the seminar, to get a bit deeper into the things he showed. Still many, many years away from being able to move like that myself though!

Latest Discussions