Attitude,

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'll admit it, my attitude hasn't been the best of late around here. Been thinking of why I cannot stand to open a thread with To-Shin-Do anywhere in the title, and have came to the conclusion that while I have always been a bit reserved, others are not. I have never been one to shout to the heavens what I am learning, and I think I have come to see those that are that way as having an agenda other than that of training. To those whom I have knocked heads with lately: While I'll not apologize for rep left or posts made because I would have said those same things in person, I will try damn hard to police myself and not be so confrontational in the future.

When it comes to this art, I have a real hard time separating it from who I am. It is almost like somebody is making a fool out of a family member when arguments are being bantered about, that shines less than a positive light on To-Shin-Do. This is the finest forum on the internet in my opinion, and I would like to see us as practitioners be more civil to each other and those who question our art. I'll start by extending the olive branch to those who I might have offended.

I was sitting here today thinking of the long path I have taken from the first day I stepped foot into John Poliquins Discovery arts institute in Presque Isle, ME back in... well let's just not go there,makes me feel old. For those of you who know John, he isn't the largest guy in stature in TSD, and he isn't one who commands attention with a loud voice. He gets attention by his presence and knowledge. I walked in and wasn't expecting much to tell the truth, He and Brett Varnum were the main instructors along with Eric Behlke, and Hahna Patterson. When I walked/limped out, I KNEW I had found what I was looking for all those years. First time I stopped into Dayton, I saw all these different belt colors and actually stepped back outside to read the sign again to see if I was indeed in the right place, I was, and upon returning to Maine I asked John about it and he just smiled and said it was something Stephen was working on developing. Shortly after this, we made the switch to the new system. While I did take time off to start a family, I never really left the art, I kept up with what I knew and it helped that my brother was/is an instructor. So that is the background of why I take such a narrow view of how others act when representing the art I saw born, struggle through the first few shaky years, and now beginning to grow and prosper. It's like a family member to me. Please take care of it's image and reputation when we are online for the world to see and read. Most of the fellow forum members and guests will only have what we write and say to use as a guage of the quality and kind of people our art attracts.

Sorry for the long rant and post, just had to get it off my chest. :asian:

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Bydand, I never cease to enjoy reading your posts on the topic and have to say that you always represent your art (that I hope to be part of one day) well. I hope that others accept this branch that you are extending...

newtothe dark

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Yes byland youj shine out brightly keep it up it guides many of us. Always love your posts.

OP
bydand

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words guys, they mean alot. While I don't really want to be an example of how somebody in a MA acts, I know I am (as we all are) to those who read our posts and see our interactions with others.

KogaTengu

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Bydand,

I have been lurking in the ToShinDo forum for a while before joining. I find your comments informative about your style and hope to see you post more often.

Bill Sempf

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Bydand, that was well written and a pleasure to read. What you say could be applied to any forum on this board, and I hope many read it.

I, like many, came to this board lookingo for guidance when reentering the martial arts, and there are many strong leaders here to provide that guidance. May you who guide with presence and knowledge never be shouted down by those with the loud voices.

ToShinDoKa

Green Belt
Reaction score
Mr. Byband,

I extend my most sincere apologies for my 'well intented' yet not well expressed opinions. I will endeavor to follow your example of humility and maturity, and look forward to your future posts.

-Scott

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bydand, I never cease to enjoy reading your posts on the topic and have to say that you always represent your art (that I hope to be part of one day) well. I hope that others accept this branch that you are extending...

I agree with this statement

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
(Quote) Please take care of it's image and reputation when we are online for the world to see and read. Most of the fellow forum members and guests will only have what we write and say to use as a guage of the quality and kind of people our art attracts.(quote)

Bydand, well put. The way you represent yourself and your art is well received.

Kennedy_Shogen_Ryu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Bydand,

I don't think I can add to what everyone else has said but I can say that I 100% agree, your insights have always been interesting and informative, keep up the good work!

OP
bydand

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
Again, thanks for the responses! I think this is one art where we all feel a bit passionate about it because while most of the art is "old school" techniques, the application and some techniques are new and we are some of the first to try them and learn them. This tends to make us all a bit protective and anytime something is said or written that doesn't fall into each of our own narrow view of what the art "is" we jump on it, and fail to see that the post is from somebody who is in the SAME art, just a different perspective due to a different Instructor.

Latest Discussions