To Shin Do Videp Clip Demo!

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
Brian, thanks for posting that. The Instructor is John Poliquin from Portland, ME. That much I can tell you for sure. Not a bad demo, she looked a bit nervious or jumpy at the beginning, but smoothed out by the end.

macfion

White Belt
Reaction score
Not a comment on the demo itself, just a general observation. Why is it in almost every clip of Toshindo, each move ends with a round of applause from the instructors? and please.....do something about the bowing....

LuzRD

Black Belt
Reaction score
ap·plause [uh-plawz]
–noun 1. hand clapping as a demonstration of approval, appreciation, acclamation, or the like.

:asian: :asian: :asian: :asian: :asian: :asian: :asian: :asian: :asian: :asian:

:bow: :bow: :bow::bow:

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not a comment on the demo itself, just a general observation. Why is it in almost every clip of Toshindo, each move ends with a round of applause from the instructors? and please.....do something about the bowing....

I think they get the applause from the Bujinkan. I find it a little strange when people applaud Hatsumi after he demonstrates something. It does not go on at normal training, but it does seem to happen at events like the Daikomyosai.

I think it comes from the fact that Hatsumi's training in America (where most Americans came in contact with him- with almost none of the current Toshindo folks ever visiting Japan) was in venues where Hatsumi demonstrated the moves on a stage. The stage thing seems to encourage people to clap. I think it is weird, but it really does not hurt. And in this case, I think it may be a good way for people to help each other build better attitudes. It is tough enough to perform in front of an audience without nothing but silence meeting you afterwards.

macfion

White Belt
Reaction score
I think they get the applause from the Bujinkan. I find it a little strange when people applaud Hatsumi after he demonstrates something. It does not go on at normal training, but it does seem to happen at events like the Daikomyosai.

Hi Don, actually I have seen it happen a lot in the hombu dojo too (depending on the visitor groups present). Call me old school if you will, but I don't view training as entertainment.
A public demostration, sure by all means clap away......but even on grading clips that have been shown it's there.....

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hi Don, actually I have seen it happen a lot in the hombu dojo too (depending on the visitor groups present). Call me old school if you will, but I don't view training as entertainment.

Yeah, I know some groups that tend to clap when all I want to do is get in as much practice before the boss calls us all to watch him do something new. It distracts from training IMO and I wish they would keep their applause until the end if they want to show their appreciation.

But it does not seem to be a problem in this clip and maybe they just want to help the people demoing. I know that Peyton Quinn sometimes has his class yelling encouragement as someone goes through the scenario training and according to him, some of the folks that had to use what he showed them made mention of it being a help when the fecal matter hit the fan.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
Brian, thanks for posting that. The Instructor is John Poliquin from Portland, ME. That much I can tell you for sure. Not a bad demo, she looked a bit nervious or jumpy at the beginning, but smoothed out by the end.

Have no idea how I found my way to this thread--totally ignorant of this art. But, it has eerie similarities to kung fu san soo. Use of body (shoulder bump) takedowns, leverage instead of strength, using attacker's momentum to throw/flip him, all come to mind. Congratulations on practicing a true fighting art! You have my respect. :asian:

Ps: Just curious, have you had to fight for respect from the bigger, more well-known arts, as Kung Fu San Soo has?