Poomsae principles?

lifespantkd

Blue Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would appreciate a more detailed explanation if you are minded to share it. Thanks.

In Keumgang, in terms of technique, a foot is lifted repeatedly, at times in a stationary pose (oreun hakdariseogi) and at times, as the start of a 90, 180, or 360 degree rotation. Regardless of the context, this lifting creates instability. This instability in the context of rotating on the axis of the standing leg permits more acceleration and the contribution of body mass (as opposed to only the contribution of limb mass) which in turn increases force at impact/completion (e.g., the most dramatic example being the foot stomp-juchumseogi-santeulmakki-kihap). So while there are many stable stances (juchumseogi) in Keumgang, they are repeatedly interspersed with much instability.

In Keumgang, in terms of philosophy, the most basic idea is that the repeated alternation between instability and stability may be considered to be symbolic of 1) the instability created by our clinging to desires/ignorance/delusions followed by the stability created by reaffirming our decisive release of desires/ignorance delusions or, more loosely, 2) the psychological instability we experience as we face a developmental dilemma prior to deciding on our action followed by the stability created by our taking of decisive action to resolve the developmental dilemma well.

Keumgang may be the first poomsae in which the role of instability in creating powerful physical impact (and in furthering human development) is recognized by a Taekwondo practitioner. When that is the case, Keumgang can serve as the impetus for recognizing the physical and philosophical importance of instability in other poomsae.

See pages 461-474 of the Kukkiwon Taekwondo Textbook (2006) for detailed descriptions of the physical techniques of Keumgang.

My thanks to Grandmaster Al Cole for extensive discussion regarding the physical and philosophical aspects of Keumgang.

Cynthia

OP
Gnarlie

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Interesting.

I guess that would carry across to all other patterns and the even the most basic of techniques e.g. stepping forward to punch. From a stable position, where the head, chest and lower stomach are perfectly vertically aligned, the foot lifts and moves forwards creating slight instability. The lower stomach and hips rotate and move forward, followed by rotation of the chest and shouders and even the head in a 'winding up' chamber motion, becoming yet more unstable. A momentary equilibrium is reached at the maximum 'wind up' point, before moving into instability again as that potential energy is released, pushing the fist forward from the hip. Stability is reached again at the moment (or even just after) the foot falls and the punch makes the target. We have to push the head, chest and lower stomach (and sometimes the feet) out of stable alignment slightly to allow some body weight to 'fall' onto the target as they find alignment and stability again.

Actually, I'd say it even applied to just walking down the street!

That could read as total nonsense, I'm thinking out loud here. Actually, I'm thinking in type.

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Longboat Key over looking Sarasota Bay, at least u
Interesting.

I guess that would carry across to all other patterns and the even the most basic of techniques e.g. stepping forward to punch. From a stable position, where the head, chest and lower stomach are perfectly vertically aligned, the foot lifts and moves forwards creating slight instability. The lower stomach and hips rotate and move forward, followed by rotation of the chest and shouders and even the head in a 'winding up' chamber motion, becoming yet more unstable. A momentary equilibrium is reached at the maximum 'wind up' point, before moving into instability again as that potential energy is released, pushing the fist forward from the hip. Stability is reached again at the moment (or even just after) the foot falls and the punch makes the target. We have to push the head, chest and lower stomach (and sometimes the feet) out of stable alignment slightly to allow some body weight to 'fall' onto the target as they find alignment and stability again.

Actually, I'd say it even applied to just walking down the street!

That could read as total nonsense, I'm thinking out loud here. Actually, I'm thinking in type.

It's not nonsense. It is what you should be exploring. It will answer a lot of questions for you.

leadleg

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I like this quote from the official WTF publication "teaching and Learning Taekwondo"-
In the training of taekwondo, poomsae sees the body and the mind as an integrated one. The orthodoxy and originality of poomsae can be found in acquiring its teachings, which are based on the sense of nature (taegeuk for grade holders) and the sense of human beings (for black belt holders) through training.

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Longboat Key over looking Sarasota Bay, at least u
I like this quote from the official WTF publication "teaching and Learning Taekwondo"-
In the training of taekwondo, poomsae sees the body and the mind as an integrated one. The orthodoxy and originality of poomsae can be found in acquiring its teachings, which are based on the sense of nature (taegeuk for grade holders) and the sense of human beings (for black belt holders) through training.

This matches with learning about Won, Bang, Gak - separately throughout the Taegeuk Poomsae, then reaching the final Poomsae Ilyeo (oneness) where they are combined as one. Check out this explanation of Ilyeo.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Discussions