Pool Training

agemechanic03

Purple Belt
Reaction score
There is increased speed and strength. But, there is a down side. Here's a fun fact for you about runners and swimmers. Runners (because of the constant contact with the ground) end up with thicker shins. The bone gets denser as tiny cracks form and heal. Swimmers, however, have the opposite. The bone gets less dense, due to the lack of real contact with an unyeilding surface.
So, go ahead, but be careful. Some college divers in their first year or two get really bad shin splints beacuse they push off hard, but don't do enough to strengthen their shin.

Well, I think my body for now will hold up to it all. My job requires me to be on my feet all time, rarely get a chance to sit down. We'll see tho, gonna start in about a week or two, job is holding me back due to upcoming events.

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, I think my body for now will hold up to it all. My job requires me to be on my feet all time, rarely get a chance to sit down. We'll see tho, gonna start in about a week or two, job is holding me back due to upcoming events.

You should be fine. I just wanted to make sure that was included.

Nyrotic

Green Belt
Reaction score
I would also think that WC chain punching underwater would help increase speed...if anything.

Ybot

Blue Belt
Reaction score
It's a ground fighting move, a way to defend against someone choking you from behind. Rear = attacking from behind, naked = vulnerable, hence the rear naked choke.
I'm probably being a bit anal, but I understood the use of the word naked to mean that the choke was one that didn't rely on the use of clothing to make the choke work, not that you are vulnerable. In BJJ we do a similar choke except use the gi lapels to do the choke, so in that case it is not a naked choke.

Live True

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I realize this is an old post, but I was very excited to find it...as I felt like I was about to ask a very stupid question. I am also VERY new to MA, so apologies if what I'm about to say is a "duh-huh" comment....

I was in the pool doing laps this morning, and was struggling because I'm fighting a nasty sinus infection (holding your breath when it's hard to breathe...no good). So I was trying to keep my heart rate up and still get something out of the time in the pool, and I started wondering if I could practice my kicks in the water...I just wasn't getting how to power my kick and how it connected with my foot/ankle movements...

So I started practicing kicks the length of the pool...sokuto geri (side snap kick) up the pool and shomen geri (front kick) down the pool....and I had an epiphany....by being able to do it slowly without focusing on not falling over :)banghead: ) I THINK I understand the connection and timing between raised leg, hip, foot and ankle....at least more than I did. I could FEEL the difference when I stayed on my toes properly and got that forward momentum!! I was so excited I completely forgot how silly I probably looked standing there in sanchin stance and kicking up and down the pool with this intent look on my face! :lfao:

Of course, I have class tomorrow...so the TRUE test of whether I learned anything new will be tomorrow...

So practicing kicks and strikes in the water is good? If i'm reading the other posts correctly, this will help with speed and power. Anything I should be careful of, so that I can get the most out of this but not learn bad habits?

I can't wait to talk to my teacher tomorrow about this!

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
I THINK I understand the connection and timing between raised leg, hip, foot and ankle....at least more than I did. I could FEEL the difference when I stayed on my toes properly and got that forward momentum!!

The reason you feel over is the same as why it is hard to strikes in water. Simply, it's more dense the air (alot more dense). So, your body's stabilizer muscles have to work ALOT harder to keep you from falling over. So, going slow will increase speed, power, and explosivity; going fast will increase balance.

Now, if you want a fun drill, get a snorkel, and sit in the shallow end of a pool. Have someone hold down your hands and feet, and do push ups. That will hurt like no other, assuming your aids don't crush you and you don't get a short snorker.

Have fun!

Live True

Brown Belt
Reaction score
your body's stabilizer muscles have to work ALOT harder to keep you from falling over. So, going slow will increase speed, power, and explosivity; going fast will increase balance.

That makes sense. Although I found it easier to not fall over in the water, because of buoyancy...it just allowed me to focus on the movement slo-o-o-o-wly so I could figure out how it all fit together. I also felt like I could understand my movements beter because of where the water was resistant on my body. In any case...it was cool!

Your push up drill sounds interesting, but I work out early am and don't have partners...still...I think I'll try working some fast and slow practice into my pool time.

I did go home and practice my kicks on dry land, and I found I had changed my stance a bit and felt more stable and ready to react. I was on my toes more and not "sitting back" on my heels...not sure if that makes sense. Can't wait to talk to my teacher about this today!

Thanks for the response CuongNhuka!

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Pool training is great - the increased resistance changes all sorts of things, and forces you to think about movements that you do by rote. It forces you to move slowly, which forces you to think about what you're doing instead of just doing it.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
:uhohh: I'm not sure if I want you to elaborate on that one! ;)

I tell ya folks, there's one in every crowd:ultracool.

Seriously, I think it's a great idea. I try to work on most of my kicks in the water. Great resistance training!

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
That makes sense. Although I found it easier to not fall over in the water, because of buoyancy...

Thanks for the response CuongNhuka!

Buoyancy really just means when you fall over, you don't fall, if you know what I mean.

You're welcome! Every so often this goober says something worth reading, hehe...

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Pools are also great for training jump kicks - you get plenty of hang time in the water, and you don't have to worry about hurting yourself on the landing if you don't hit it just right. It's also a lot of fun (if the pool is deep enough) to do jump kicks off the side (if allowed) or off the board.

Live True

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Buoyancy really just means when you fall over, you don't fall, if you know what I mean.

You're welcome! Every so often this goober says something worth reading, hehe...

:duh: You know....that makes waaaaay to much sense! So it wasn't that I wasn't falling over...I just missed the "go boom" part...:roflmao:

And yes, thank you so much. I am learning so many little things on this site, and I really enjoy the supportive forum!

I talked to my instructor, and I will continue to make this part of my regular workout. Every little step helps to get me where I'm going!

Latest Discussions