What has Martial Arts done for your life?

shizzle84

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi,
I've been looking up the benefits of Martial Arts on Google, and it's the usual this that and the other.
The best answers I've gotten online was through forums, like a guy who mentioned that after 3 months of training in martial arts he no longer had road rage.

Does anyone have any experience they want to share here?

I think it'll be good motivation for people intending to get into Martial Arts, when they hear some concrete benefit... You'll be doing God's work... :)

Thanks in advance!

gerardbu07059

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Here are some views from personal experience.
For children: it teaches them self discipline, concentration and confidence. I would however suggest they do it once they are around 12 or so.
Young adults: you learn dsicipline, confidence, control, and realize that they do not need to prove anything to anyone.
Seniors: maintain. Balance, strength, flexibility and improve life Condition.
Martial arts is a life style that has great benefits well beyond the question on this forum that often address who is macho and who is more macho and how many people can you beat up. All styles provide you with a sense of self respect and respect for others. The ability to achieve what you strive for and the mental toughness to deal with what life throws at you. The self defense piece is only a small part. Hope that helps

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What has Martial Arts done for my life......wow, gonna' have to think on that for a bit.

Some pretty cool t-shirts over the years, tell you that.

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Ask me again in 5-10 years (assuming I'm still training by then) and I'll tell you. Unfortunately I'm still at the early stages in my training and can't even fully decide what I want to achieve in my training, let alone why it will benefit me.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I really don't understand the benefits that I get from martial arts until I see someone who doesn't do martial arts, try to do martial arts. New students help put the benefits that I get from training. Most of the time I don't think I'm getting much benefit other than stress relieve and it's not until I see a New Student about to pass out from our warm ups that reality hits.

So with that said, I guess the biggest benefit that I get is the inability to see an end to excellence. When I reach "Level 2", then "Level 2" becomes the bottom and not the top. By the time I reach "Level 20" in my mind I'm still on the bottom. It's not until a new student or someone who is taking a trial class that makes me realize, that I'm not actually on "the bottom."

This is actually starting to blend into my professional life where I'm thinking that the knowledge that I know and understand is "on the lower levels" but in reality people are always shocked at how much I know.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some pretty cool t-shirts over the years, tell you that.

Yep and hoodies. I've learnt to put up boxing rings and cages, how to run a fight night, how to judge, corner, coach, referee MMA as well as karate. I've learnt about steroids and how to spot who's using them, I have met many, many tremendous people as well as some right numpties.
I can't say martial arts has given me fitness, discipline etc as I had them before I started training as most military people do, I can't even say they taught me to fight ( or defend myself) as my dad did but then I can say it gave me more people to fight and to fight better :D

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
its sent my chi levels through the roof, changed my body language to one of calmness and confidence and low level menace. Type A males catch my eye and give the nod of recognition they save for other predators'. Type B males engage me in conversation to win my approval and type c males look at the floor as I walk past so as not to gain my attention. If I'm in a queue people ask me if id like to go first, street gangs cross the road when they see me coming or at the very least move out of the way to leave a respectful distance as we pass . Strange women keep approaching me in bars and telling me how much they like me or gigling like a school girl at my terrible jokes.

all in all its been quite a positive experiance

Last edited:
OP
S

shizzle84

White Belt
Reaction score
I really don't understand the benefits that I get from martial arts until I see someone who doesn't do martial arts, try to do martial arts. New students help put the benefits that I get from training. Most of the time I don't think I'm getting much benefit other than stress relieve and it's not until I see a New Student about to pass out from our warm ups that reality hits.

So with that said, I guess the biggest benefit that I get is the inability to see an end to excellence. When I reach "Level 2", then "Level 2" becomes the bottom and not the top. By the time I reach "Level 20" in my mind I'm still on the bottom. It's not until a new student or someone who is taking a trial class that makes me realize, that I'm not actually on "the bottom."

This is actually starting to blend into my professional life where I'm thinking that the knowledge that I know and understand is "on the lower levels" but in reality people are always shocked at how much I know.

Thanks... I can relate to what you're saying. I have the same attitude to my line of work, which doesn't involve anything physical. Which is why I really feel I need to get serious with a martial arts practice.

I appreciate the input...

DanT

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi,
I've been looking up the benefits of Martial Arts on Google, and it's the usual this that and the other.
The best answers I've gotten online was through forums, like a guy who mentioned that after 3 months of training in martial arts he no longer had road rage.

I think it'll be good motivation for people intending to get into Martial Arts, when they hear some concrete benefit... You'll be doing God's work... :)

Thanks in advance!
Well I've done Kung Fu / Martial arts since I was 6 (can't remember, my dad taught me, I might of even been 5) and back then it gave me a method of beating up bullies. Now it gives me confidence that I can deal with 99.99% of people out there without much worry, and forces me to be healthy and in shape. The mental benifits are extraordinary also.

OP
S

shizzle84

White Belt
Reaction score
Here are some views from personal experience.
For children: it teaches them self discipline, concentration and confidence. I would however suggest they do it once they are around 12 or so.
Young adults: you learn dsicipline, confidence, control, and realize that they do not need to prove anything to anyone.
Seniors: maintain. Balance, strength, flexibility and improve life Condition.
Martial arts is a life style that has great benefits well beyond the question on this forum that often address who is macho and who is more macho and how many people can you beat up. All styles provide you with a sense of self respect and respect for others. The ability to achieve what you strive for and the mental toughness to deal with what life throws at you. The self defense piece is only a small part. Hope that helps

Thanks for this... I like what you mentioned about martial arts being a "lifestyle".

I'm actually picking up Krav Maga now by the way. Before that I did Wing Chun for about 2 years and then Kickboxing for another 2 years. So I'm really liking Krav Maga though, I think it's perfect for me.

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hi,

Thanks in advance!
My martial art I had felt it like my tank.. say whaa?? ha.. you know like if I have to fight I have weapons.. I have to take blows my MA give me confidence if I decide not to fight I can close the hatch be safe inside be left alone.. When I am frustrated or angry it allow me to fire off rounds when I need to vent I can fight or spar on mats.. When I want to just run away my MA across the years make me aware of 101 ways to avoid bad juju.. Some time tho I want to just go straight through all of the obstacle that is try to stop me progressing and my MA give to me assertiveness to act against that I did not have when I was young.. Then again other time I just want to blow xxxx up :)

OP
S

shizzle84

White Belt
Reaction score
Well I've done Kung Fu / Martial arts since I was 6 (can't remember, my dad taught me, I might of even been 5) and back then it gave me a method of beating up bullies. Now it gives me confidence that I can deal with 99.99% of people out there without much worry, and forces me to be healthy and in shape. The mental benifits are extraordinary also.

Cool... That's actually my goal, to reach your level, of confidence and competence at the martial arts. But I'm in my 30s, do you think it's still possible for me to get there?

How hard do you think I should train? And I assume you'd highly recommend my getting into sparring as well for my training?

I actually did Wing Chun for 2 years, up to level 3 (dark blue sash) before moving on to kickboxing for another 2 years. Although I almost never did any sparring. I probably only sparred like 6 times in those 2 years. But I trained seriously enough till I even had a six pack. It was very intense training but I loved it. However it didn't help me with my stress and dealing with real life situations.

Looking back now, my training was probably closer to something like dancing than martial arts. Heh...

OP
S

shizzle84

White Belt
Reaction score
its sent my chi levels through the roof, changed my body language to one of calmness and confidence and low level menace. Type A males catch my eye and give the nod of recognition they save for other predators'. Type B males engage me in conversation to win my approval and type c males look at the floor as I walk past so as not to gain my attention. If I'm in a queue people ask me if id like to go first, street gangs cross the road when they see me coming or at the very least move out of the way to leave a respectful distance as we pass . Strange women keep approaching me in bars and telling me how much they like me or gigling like a school girl at my terrible jokes.

all in all its been quite a positive experiance

LOL... Bro, are you a martial artists or fiction writer?

OP
S

shizzle84

White Belt
Reaction score
please your self, I'm just sharing, it all about the projection of calmness and confidence. Work on your chi and its all there for you too

How long did it take you to get to that level btw?

Saheim

Green Belt
Reaction score
It has improved my ability to determine which over the counter pain killer is best for different types of pain - "No, you don't want Tylanol for that, you need Motrin" J/K (kinda)

Hey, real talk, tho - OP you mentioned a friend who has less "road rage". That can go both ways. Not everybody finds the whole zen peace of mind thing. Some people are still jerks, they just become WELL TRAINED DANGEROUS jerks.

If you are not already training, START! That is the best way to find out EXACTLY how MA will effect your life.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Have been in fighting sports or physical sports of my life.
Fighting sports began at 11 with boxing until 16. Two years of wrestling along with 2 years of gymnastics. From the age of 14-18 strength training with the trainer for Casey Viator (Mr America 71). Shotokan, some TKD, and military combatives. While in the military was introduced to Wing Chun, Muay Thai, and Kali while spending time in the South East Asia and the Philippines. Sought them out and have been training/instructing since then as well as Submission Wrestling and at the age of 60 added a BJJ program. Long term the martial arts have been a release, a calming effect, and a direction pointer for me. Made life long friends with some rather amazing people as well has allowed me to help numerous persons develop self confidence, some self defensive skills, a few excellent sport combat fighters and even a few who have survived actual physical attacks.

gerardbu07059

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hope it did help. I study king fu b for 4 year, judo, karate and now I am going for my 3rd Dan black belt in hapkido. My son has a black belt in karate, a black belt in hapkido and now he is studying aikido. My daughter has so far a blue belt in hapkido. Like I said it is a life style. Good luck on your journey

Latest Discussions