pool noodle cutting stand

I

islandtime

Does anyone have any plans for a pool noodle cutting stand? I plan on making a couple this winter and haven't a clue where to start. I have no stands at this time or any patterns.

Any help?
thanks,
Gene Gabel

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Is this for practicing cutting with a sword?

If so, I would use a 4x4 (about 2.5' tall) centerpost, with 2x4 legs that radiate from that. Drill a hole in the center of the 4x4 to put a sharpened wooden dowel (8" extending from the centerpost)that you can push up through the bottom of the pool noodle. You should be able to use this for tamishigiri as well.

Okay, I just looked up a design on www.tameshigiri.com and it exactly matches my design idea (some difference in the height of the centerpost), so either I saw this design before and completely unconsciously copied it, or great minds think alike. I used a fixed post in my yard for this, so I haven't had to build a mobile one before. On the other hand, maybe they channeled it from my brain, yeah thats the ticket. :)

tamishigiri cutting post design:

http://www.tameshigiri.com/target_stand.pdf

Good luck and have fun!

Lamont

OP
I

islandtime

Originally posted by Blindside
Is this for practicing cutting with a sword?

If Okay, I just looked up a design on www.tameshigiri.com and it exactly matches my design idea (some difference in the height of the centerpost),
Lamont

Tks Lamont:asian:
Yes this is for cutting with shinken
Since posting on another site I have checked this one out and will use that basic design.. Ric Flinn suggested using 4X4 instead of 2X4 for the legs (but a tad shorter..) I will probably use both and see which one works better for me..

I will take some pics and post them when I get done.

Thanks again
Gene Gabel

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Hey Gene,

Do you have a source for really cheap pool noodles? I'm just curious, pool noodles are usually almost always more expensive than tatami mats, so I go with the tatami. I also think tatami is a better cutting medium, it is less forgiving of mistakes.

On the environmental side, tatami is biodegrable, burnable, etc. With a pool noodle you get a bunch of foam chunks....

whatever works for you,

Lamont

PS Later I saw your post on SFI, I thought your initials looked familiar. ;)

OP
I

islandtime

Originally posted by Blindside
Hey Gene,

Do you have a source for really cheap pool noodles?
Lamont
PS Later I saw your post on SFI, I thought your initials looked familiar. ;)
.........................................................................................

Yes that was me covering my bases (SFI,MT,E-Budo)

I have a great source of free noodles. There are lots of houses in my area that have pools. At the end of the season or in the spring the garbage piles are full of broken ones. I just keep my eye out and scoop them up. They are usually broken in half or in pieces large enough to use.

Check places like Big Lots and the Dollar Store. Sometimes they will also have them bundled in 1/2 dozen lots. Check Sams Wharehouses also.Look for apt complexes that have heated pools at the end of the summer or in the spring. They should have them as throw aways also..

Gene Gabel

Latest Discussions