Politically Incorrect Poem - Merry Christmas!

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
To My Democratic Friends:

Please accept with no obligation, implied or implicit, my
best wishes for an environmentally conscious, socially responsible,
low-stress, non-addictive, gender-neutral celebration of the winter
solstice holiday, practiced within the most enjoyable traditions of the religious
persuasion of your choice, or secular practices of your choice, with
respect for the religious/secular persuasion and/or traditions of others, or
their choice not to practice religious or secular traditions at all. I also
wish you a fiscally successful, personally fulfilling and medically
uncomplicated recognition of the onset of the generally accepted calendar year 2010,
but not without due respect for the calendars of choice of other cultures
whose contributions to society have helped make America great. Not to imply
that America is necessarily greater than any other country nor the only
America in the Western Hemisphere . Also, this wish is made without regard to the
race, creed, color, age, physical ability, religious faith or sexual
preference of the wish.

To My Republican Friends:

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year in the year of our Lord Jesus Christ 2010.

Flea

Beating you all over those fries!
MT Mentor
Reaction score
:lol: :bangahead:

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Because all Republicans are christians and all democrats are heathens. I love the internet. Truthiness at its best.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Nonsense like this is why I say, "have a nice day." I don't really like knowing who has a flimsy grasp on their own faith. It's as if pool ol' Jesus will vanish on 'em if they're not braying about Christmas constantly. (Doubly funny since the whole anti PC guff just amounts to people with a different agenda trying to impose their own collection of PC rules about what can and can't be spoken of.)

Then again ... you do understand, don't you, that Jesus instructed his followers to "not hide their faith under a bushel" and to "spread the good news" and be "fishers of men." Not to be flippant but how do you fish if you won't even go to the lake?

That said, there are the natural unfortunate consequences of the popularity of Christianity. Much like heterosexuality, it is - by nature of prevalence - 'rammed down everyone else's throats.'

Of course, also by nature of prevalence - two major Christian holidays have been commercially bastardized with altered tales, mismatching times on the roman calendar, merchandising, etcetera.

And as we Christians incorporate the real reasons for the seasons in with the commercial mayhem (which, it can be argued, may be important to the social and psychological development of our children up to a certain age), some of us remain aghast at those who think we have NO idea what's really going on around us, that the date we celebrate Christmas was based around a pagan holiday, that not all those who celebrate the season or even those who call themselves Christian *act* like Christians at all.

We do. We get it. And we try to raise our children in and around it to be better people, to place the proper importance on the holiday. And in the meantime, we *are* putting up lights. We *are* putting up a tree. We *are* buying and making a few presents for those we love and writing wishes of happiness and goodness and love for everyone we know - just a reminder that we think about them all year long.

I'm sure if Hanukkah, Ramadan or Kwanzaa were to achieve this level of retail attention, I'd rather enjoy others celebrating their special seasons. I don't think my panties are that knotty.

So ... in an effort to keep my cheer, I'm going to bow out of this thread for now - I have some baking and decorating to do.

Merry Christmas!

...now back to Whoville ...

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm sure if Hanukkah, Ramadan or Kwanzaa were to achieve this level of retail attention, I'd rather enjoy others celebrating their special seasons. I don't think my panties are that knotty.
It'd be cool!

Hanukkah is COOL!! I remember the first time my friend Nathan had me over to his house for their Hanukkah celebrations!! I loved it. The story behind it and the way that everything had a meaning and a purpose and it all was a celebration of "Dedication"! I Loved it. (I've also always liked the use of candles in a ceremony) Nathan's father asked me my "Christian Perspective" on it all. I told him that it fascinated me to know that Jesus himself celebrated Hanukkah, but wondered what it was like for him to be able to actually GO to the rededicated Temple and celebrate there.

Ramadan? I know woefully little about it. But what I do know: isolating yourself all day to fast and pray amongst your family, then joyfully feasting at night all together!!! I think it sounds great!

Kwanzaa? I know even less about it.

BUT: I love meaningful symbolism and I also love celebrating something with deep / profound meaning! SO....I agree with Shesulsa!

Your Brother (who's dreidel has a wicked lean toward 'nun')
John

CanuckMA

Master of Arts
Reaction score
That was well written Shesulsa. I prefer 'Happy Holidays', but overall I don't care.

I like Xmas lights. It's a crappy time of the year. It's cold and dark. The lights at least are cheery.

The things that bug me are

The prolonged season, but then again, I hate all those commercial for any holiday that start months in advance.

People that quiz little kids about what they are getting for Xmas. I know they mean well, but I'm the one left with the 6 year old who's wondering what he's missing on. Wish me Merry Xmas, that's easy to deal with, but please be sensitive to the kids.

Trying to rename the tree a Holiday tree. It's a Xmas tree. Leave me out of this. If it wasn't for Xmas, they'd be no tree. I don't need a tree for Chanukkah.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Then again ... you do understand, don't you, that Jesus instructed his followers to "not hide their faith under a bushel" and to "spread the good news" and be "fishers of men." Not to be flippant but how do you fish if you won't even go to the lake?

That said, there are the natural unfortunate consequences of the popularity of Christianity. Much like heterosexuality, it is - by nature of prevalence - 'rammed down everyone else's throats.'

Of course, also by nature of prevalence - two major Christian holidays have been commercially bastardized with altered tales, mismatching times on the roman calendar, merchandising, etcetera.

And as we Christians incorporate the real reasons for the seasons in with the commercial mayhem (which, it can be argued, may be important to the social and psychological development of our children up to a certain age), some of us remain aghast at those who think we have NO idea what's really going on around us, that the date we celebrate Christmas was based around a pagan holiday, that not all those who celebrate the season or even those who call themselves Christian *act* like Christians at all.

We do. We get it. And we try to raise our children in and around it to be better people, to place the proper importance on the holiday. And in the meantime, we *are* putting up lights. We *are* putting up a tree. We *are* buying and making a few presents for those we love and writing wishes of happiness and goodness and love for everyone we know - just a reminder that we think about them all year long.

So ... in an effort to keep my cheer, I'm going to bow out of this thread for now - I have some baking and decorating to do.

Merry Christmas!

...now back to Whoville ...
You mean you manage to celebrate the season in moderation according to your own beliefs while at the same time acknowledging others? I... how is that possible? Archangel? I'm confused! ;)

Seriously, though, what you say makes perfect sense. And it's exactly this attitude and approach I try to take as well. I'm not a christian and as I said, my observance is strictly of the secular Christmas with Santa, elves, reindeer, mistletoe and ample amounts of rum in my egg nog! :) But I manage to respect my neighbors religious observances and have no issues with how anyone chooses to celebrate... even the Griswalds down the street from me with their larger than life size nativity scene (the only nativity scene in my neighborhood). It's... impressive. :)

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score

I tend to think this is more a case of:

"And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full."

Throwing out a snarky, "Happy Holy days!" doesn't strike me as being a fisher of man. You do that by being a decent human being.

aedrasteia

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Canuck

"People that quiz little kids about what they are getting for Xmas. I know they mean well, but I'm the one left with the 6 year old who's wondering what he's missing on. Wish me Merry Xmas, that's easy to deal with, but please be sensitive to the kids."

Yep - right on target - the folks who assume everybody is whatever they are... a warmer way around it is to ask 'what holidays are celebrated at your house?' and let kids (and adults) tell you what they love to do. And when it comes up I usually ask: what are you giving this year? Gradually, over time, its happened for me - the turn of the heart and the pleasure of seeing someone who loves the gift I've found - even if small, which it usually is, that is right in their zone. thats christmas for me.

And at my house the food is the center - lots of swedish and german goodies. Every year i bake about 25-30 loaves of julbrod and send/mail to friends. And this year I made vort limpa (swedish rye with beer, orange peel, anise...) ... sandbakel cookies, ginger snaps, cardamom buns, finskabrod and tell jokes about the Norwegians and lutefisk!!!

My godchild is from a mixed faith home that celebrates both. So we get to have latkes!!! and Christmas goodies too. He gets the deeper messages and will have his bar Mitzvah next year and one day will find his spiritual home of his own.
A

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Canuck

"People that quiz little kids about what they are getting for Xmas. I know they mean well, but I'm the one left with the 6 year old who's wondering what he's missing on. Wish me Merry Xmas, that's easy to deal with, but please be sensitive to the kids."

Yep - right on target - the folks who assume everybody is whatever they are... a warmer way around it is to ask 'what holidays are celebrated at your house?' and let kids (and adults) tell you what they love to do. And when it comes up I usually ask: what are you giving this year? Gradually, over time, its happened for me - the turn of the heart and the pleasure of seeing someone who loves the gift I've found - even if small, which it usually is, that is right in their zone. thats christmas for me.

And at my house the food is the center - lots of swedish and german goodies. Every year i bake about 25-30 loaves of julbrod and send/mail to friends. And this year I made vort limpa (swedish rye with beer, orange peel, anise...) ... sandbakel cookies, ginger snaps, cardamom buns, finskabrod and tell jokes about the Norwegians and lutefisk!!!

My godchild is from a mixed faith home that celebrates both. So we get to have latkes!!! and Christmas goodies too. He gets the deeper messages and will have his bar Mitzvah next year and one day will find his spiritual home of his own.
A
As a kid, my dad's side of the family would require the eating of lutefisk for new years good luck and my mom's side would require the eating of black eyed peas for good luck. I hate both! :)

Sounds like good times. My 12 year old daughter baked like crazy this year. While I do a lot of cooking, I don't bake well at all (too much measuring and such for me!) but my daughter loves it. I have a collection of cookbooks, several from the 40's, 50's and 60's. My daughter found 5 or 6 recipes she liked and went to town sending treats to the entire family (and my wife's boss in Minnesota, too.) Pumpkin loaf, several different kinds of cookies and some other sweet treats. She baked them, packed them up and shipped them out all on her own. I couldn't be prouder of her for her creativity and her initiative.

As a side note, a good friend is a jehovah's witness, and I've seen him try to graciously divert the conversation when someone asks him or his kids what they're asking Santa for. \

CanuckMA

Master of Arts
Reaction score
As a side note, a good friend is a jehovah's witness, and I've seen him try to graciously divert the conversation when someone asks him or his kids what they're asking Santa for. \

I was relaay proud of my youngest one time. He was about 8ish, never really been shy, and he answered one clerk with "my dad's too cheap to buy Xmas presents". The look on the lady's face was priceless.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I was relaay proud of my youngest one time. He was about 8ish, never really been shy, and he answered one clerk with "my dad's too cheap to buy Xmas presents". The look on the lady's face was priceless.
Awesome.