Please, can any explain what is msunderstood ?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
WP_20150428_005.jpg

OP
C

connection1

White Belt
Reaction score
Thank you..nice answer from one who practices a thinking persons art

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
Total BS. Plain and simple. At one point many years ago Karl Godwin wrote an article claiming that Wing Chun was derived from Western Bare-knuckle boxing when merchant marines traveled to the southern Chinese coast and staged fights with the locals. Around that same time he claimed to have met an old man that had practiced a martial arts version of western bare-knuckle boxing in an unbroken lineage and called it "Omni Pugilism." Godwin claimed to have combined this with his Wing Chun, and justified it with the idea that Wing Chun was derived from bare knuckle boxing to begin with! Now he often calls what he does "long range Wing Chun." I haven't heard the "Omni Pugilism" slant for a long time. So everyone has misunderstood Wing Chun and ONLY Karl Godwin got it right! ;-0

I saw this written on Internet and was just curious. What is misunderstood ? There could be many answers to this.
Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks

* Modern Wing Chun expert Bill Graves comes to Southern California for this highly comprehensive, one-day only seminar.

Quietly about his research and development for over 28 years, Bill Graves is dedicated to developing the most effective self-defense system the world has ever known. He is now bringing about a Modern Wing Chun Revolution.

Wing Chun, in itself, is a martial art and self-defense system misunderstood from day one. Misunderstood by traditionalists. Misunderstood by progressives. Misunderstood by its resistance to change itself into a sport for the masses. Misunderstood by many who learn it. Misunderstood by many who teach it. And misunderstood by it's most famous practitioner, Bruce Lee.

Modern Wing Chun, however, as Bill Graves' teaches it, is an art without limitations. Much different than what people perceive the art of Wing Chun to be.

But Bill Graves is different. His interpretation of Wing Chun is different. His teacher, Karl Godwin, is different. His modern, Western-influenced approach to Wing Chun is different.

He has developed a picture-perfect example of what Wing Chun should be for the modern world. And now, the demand for this modern approach to Wing Chun is growing at an unprecedented level.

Pat M

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I saw this written on Internet and was just curious. What is misunderstood ? There could be many answers to this.
Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks

* Modern Wing Chun expert Bill Graves comes to Southern California for this highly comprehensive, one-day only seminar.

Quietly about his research and development for over 28 years, Bill Graves is dedicated to developing the most effective self-defense system the world has ever known. He is now bringing about a Modern Wing Chun Revolution.

Wing Chun, in itself, is a martial art and self-defense system misunderstood from day one. Misunderstood by traditionalists. Misunderstood by progressives. Misunderstood by its resistance to change itself into a sport for the masses. Misunderstood by many who learn it. Misunderstood by many who teach it. And misunderstood by it's most famous practitioner, Bruce Lee.

Modern Wing Chun, however, as Bill Graves' teaches it, is an art without limitations. Much different than what people perceive the art of Wing Chun to be.

But Bill Graves is different. His interpretation of Wing Chun is different. His teacher, Karl Godwin, is different. His modern, Western-influenced approach to Wing Chun is different.

He has developed a picture-perfect example of what Wing Chun should be for the modern world. And now, the demand for this modern approach to Wing Chun is growing at an unprecedented level.

Hey connection1 welcome.

There are no secrets in Wing Chun, only details. Just like everyone else Bill does not have any secrets, he sounds like a dedicated exponent of the Martial Arts.

However, this sounds like a car commercial and only one dealer sells it. Amazing....... It's called the BGWC

"research and development for over 28 years"
"developing the most effective self-defense system the world has ever known"
"a Modern Wing Chun Revolution"
I will not list the many misunderstandings .....
"Bill Graves' teaches it" "an art without limitations"
"But Bill Graves is different"
"His interpretation of Wing Chun is different"
"His modern, Western-influenced approach to Wing Chun is different"
"a picture-perfect example of what Wing Chun should be"
"demand for this modern approach to Wing Chun is growing at an unprecedented level"

I know nothing of Bill, though I wonder why he does not give what he does a name and say it's origin's are the Wing Chun system.
As is Jeet Kune Do.

OP
C

connection1

White Belt
Reaction score
I still wonder what his different take on wing chun is or could be and what is the misunderstanding that everyone is under ( from day one )?

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I still wonder what his different take on wing chun is or could be and what is the misunderstanding that everyone is under ( from day one )?

I would take a guess that the author misunderstands that he is proffering a personal opinion on what Wing Chun actually is. Fair enough, but needs to take a step back and think about blind dedication I would think. Welcome to the forum BTW.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This should apply to all MA systems. If you can't add in more value into your system, you are just a "copy machine" and serve no contribution to your MA system. No matter how good quality a "copy machine" can be, the quality will get worse and worse.

Kwan Sau

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I assure you there is absolutely no hidden agenda here.I truly would like to know for my own information if everyone has missed something very important.There might be a very simple answer to this. I would really like the information

The very simple answer, as you say, is that he (Graves) is perhaps on a quest to distinguish and spotlight himself, his WC, his Sifu, in an attempt to be perceived as having the "secret sauce" that the rest of us nitwits apparently can't comprehend.

Kwan Sau

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Graves' teacher I think.
Is it just me, or is this guy trying to impersonate Yip Man with his looks?
Anyhooooo....if this guy and his MYJ form/drill is an example of perfection (which the rest of us apparently have misunderstood from day 1), I'm headed in the opposite direction.
I'm sure godwin and graves are stellar performing masters of the art (says so on each of their websites)...but their version of WC is not my cup of Earl Grey... so carry on wayward chunners or join the graves revolution and upgrade your wc to the next level!!!!!!!!!!

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
[QUOTE
Graves' teacher I think.
Is it just me, or is this guy trying to impersonate Yip Man with his looks?[/QUOTE

Nah.....Yip Man seemed to always wear a white t shirt

Marnetmar

Black Belt
Reaction score
Can I ask everyone to please not let this Bill Graves guy represent the entire Leung Sheung branch in your eyes, please.

Kwan Sau

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Nah.....Yip Man seemed to always wear a white t shirt[/QUOTE]

Oh, sorry... how's this? Is this better? :D

Kwan Sau

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Can I ask everyone to please not let this Bill Graves guy represent the entire Leung Sheung branch in your eyes, please.

Agreed. And I've no beef with ANY of these dudes or their version of wing chun. For all I know, they really could be the baddest dudes on the planet.
I've only seen some random clips of this Godwin guy...never seen any clips of Graves...or Leung Sheung line for that matter...

Latest Discussions