Please, can any explain what is msunderstood ?

connection1

White Belt
Reaction score
I saw this written on Internet and was just curious. What is misunderstood ? There could be many answers to this.
Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks

* Modern Wing Chun expert Bill Graves comes to Southern California for this highly comprehensive, one-day only seminar.

Quietly about his research and development for over 28 years, Bill Graves is dedicated to developing the most effective self-defense system the world has ever known. He is now bringing about a Modern Wing Chun Revolution.

Wing Chun, in itself, is a martial art and self-defense system misunderstood from day one. Misunderstood by traditionalists. Misunderstood by progressives. Misunderstood by its resistance to change itself into a sport for the masses. Misunderstood by many who learn it. Misunderstood by many who teach it. And misunderstood by it's most famous practitioner, Bruce Lee.

Modern Wing Chun, however, as Bill Graves' teaches it, is an art without limitations. Much different than what people perceive the art of Wing Chun to be.

But Bill Graves is different. His interpretation of Wing Chun is different. His teacher, Karl Godwin, is different. His modern, Western-influenced approach to Wing Chun is different.

He has developed a picture-perfect example of what Wing Chun should be for the modern world. And now, the demand for this modern approach to Wing Chun is growing at an unprecedented level.

Vajramusti

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I saw this written on Internet and was just curious. What is misunderstood ? There could be many answers to this.
Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks

* Modern Wing Chun expert Bill Graves comes to Southern California for this highly comprehensive, one-day only seminar.

Quietly about his research and development for over 28 years, Bill Graves is dedicated to developing the most effective self-defense system the world has ever known. He is now bringing about a Modern Wing Chun Revolution.

Wing Chun, in itself, is a martial art and self-defense system misunderstood from day one. Misunderstood by traditionalists. Misunderstood by progressives. Misunderstood by its resistance to change itself into a sport for the masses. Misunderstood by many who learn it. Misunderstood by many who teach it. And misunderstood by it's most famous practitioner, Bruce Lee.

Modern Wing Chun, however, as Bill Graves' teaches it, is an art without limitations. Much different than what people perceive the art of Wing Chun to be.

But Bill Graves is different. His interpretation of Wing Chun is different. His teacher, Karl Godwin, is different. His modern, Western-influenced approach to Wing Chun is different.

He has developed a picture-perfect example of what Wing Chun should be for the modern world. And now, the demand for this modern approach to Wing Chun is growing at an unprecedented level.

Vajramusti

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Graves's sifu- Godwin probably was with Kenneth Chung at one time. But this sounds like a sales pitch.

Callen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
But this sounds like a sales pitch.

Welcome to the forum.

This type of discussion could go in many directions and can easily become endless. There are a lot of things that could be considered "misunderstood" about Wing Chun. Unfortunately, I'm also feeling the heavy tone of a sales pitch in your quote. Is your question centered around getting a better understanding of Wing Chun for yourself, or are you trying to find the validity to Sifu Bill Graves' statements?

OP
C

connection1

White Belt
Reaction score
I assure you there is absolutely no hidden agenda here.I truly would like to know for my own information if everyone has missed something very important.There might be a very simple answer to this. I would really like the information

Mephisto

Black Belt
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

This type of discussion could go in many directions and can easily become endless. There are a lot of things that could be considered "misunderstood" about Wing Chun. Unfortunately, I'm also feeling the heavy tone of a sales pitch in your quote. Is your question centered around getting a better understanding of Wing Chun for yourself, or are you trying to find the validity to Sifu Bill Graves' statements?
It does sounds like a sales pitch, one I've see all too many times. The fact that this guy seems to say everyone else in his system is doing it wrong is a very bold statement.

Is there any video available from the group/instructor mentioned? Are you able to share a link so we can see the context in which this was written? I doubt this guy has anything new. Hard work and sparring are how you get good at applying your craft. There are no shortcuts or secrets to gaining proficiency.

OP
C

connection1

White Belt
Reaction score
The statement about misunderstanding from day one etc.. aroused my curiosity.
I thought maybe there was a good explanation for this statement that would be
informative

Callen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I assure you there is absolutely no hidden agenda here.I truly would like to know for my own information if everyone has missed something very important.There might be a very simple answer to this. I would really like the information

Apologies, if my input seemed pretentious. It was not intentional.

Honestly, there's no real way to know what "misunderstandings" Sifu Bill Graves is referring to but it has a lineage debate feel to it. In my opinion Wing Chun practitioners should focus on uniting the greater community, not separating it with statements of superiority. In the context that you have presented, it doesn't seem that you're missing anything important in regards to certain misunderstandings of Wing Chun.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It seems pretty straightforward. Everybody but Bill Graves misunderstands the art and is doing it wrong. None of the practitioners here can explain what is misunderstood, because they are not Bill Graves and therefore they also are doing it wrong. Only Bill Graves truly understands the art, and for the low, low price of whatever he is charging for the seminar you too can understand Wing Chun correctly. :D

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It seems pretty straightforward. Everybody but Bill Graves misunderstands the art and is doing it wrong. None of the practitioners here can explain what is misunderstood, because they are not Bill Graves and therefore they also are doing it wrong. Only Bill Graves truly understands the art, and for the low, low price of whatever he is charging for the seminar you too can understand Wing Chun correctly. :D

Without checking I am going to tip he also boxes and wrestles.

Just a vibe.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

I went to the website and you are off base. He is a humble man who just happens to be the best chunner in the business.

It says so.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Unfortunately he is not alone. We have this in my area ...

"Pure Aikido, Australia’s premier Aikido dojo. All aspects of Aikido are taught here. Receive one on one instruction from Australia’s number 1 instructor in a fun and friendly environment."

One of our guys went along to check it out last week and the verdict was that it was very poor Aikido. The guy is definitely not one of the best instructors and who, apart from himself, gave himself the ranking of number 1? The problem is, on the internet anyone can claim whatever they want and others will believe them.

Another guy is Russell Stutely in the UK who's material carries the statement 'Europe's number 1 pressure point expert'. Well again, who says so? Russell has some excellent material available but that doesn't make him number one at anything except self promotion.

Now Bill Graves may have a sound background, who knows? He is creating a point of difference and anyone with skills in marketing will understand the value of that. How much honesty is in his marketing is another question.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Marketing and business strategy are the unfortunate side effect of having to make a living. Reminds me of the scene from Elf when Will Farrell goes into a little diner in New York and congratulates them for having the "best coffee in town" based on a sign they hung in their window.

As K-man says, there is sometimes a gap between the claims and the reality. But, it's all part of making a living. Who would want to train with a guy who alleges to be the 3rd best Aikido Instructor in Australia? :)

OP
C

connection1

White Belt
Reaction score
so is the answer a secret ? I was really hoping to get a new and interesting perspective
on wing chun. Marketing did not cross my mind. I am still hoping for some insight into why it was misunderstood from its inception as the quote stated.

Mephisto

Black Belt
Reaction score
so is the answer a secret ? I was really hoping to get a new and interesting perspective
on wing chun. Marketing did not cross my mind. I am still hoping for some insight into why it was misunderstood from its inception as the quote stated.
At this point you're just trolling right? There's noting wrong with questioning bs, but do you really believe this guy?

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Marketing did not cross your mind?!? Read this:

thesystemwingchun.com

You can't be blind to the irony there!

Callen

Purple Belt
Reaction score

You should consider the fact that it might not have been misunderstood from it's inception as the quote stated.

Latest Discussions