Green Sash

LoneRider

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Greetings,

I just earned my Green Sash in Wing Chun today. For my line it's white, then gold and then green followed by blue, brown, red, and black. This means I can start full contact sparring.

My school, Centerline Martial Arts, is no belt mill, however, it's one where practical self defense is taught. Our line is closest to Yip Man's school of thinking and combines it with the teachings of Karl Godwin (his book, the Internal Art of Wing Chun, is now regrettably out of print), an omnipugilist who studied numerous martial arts before he discovered Wing Chun.

My big focal point for improvement is how to relax when striking. In all my MA experience (ranging from schoolyard fights in Middle and High School, to Taekwondo, and Western Boxing) I'd always been aught to tense when striking so as not to break my hand. I sort of compromise when striking by contracting the striking muscles just prior to and during point of impact and relaxing immediately there after. Any thoughts on this?

brocklee

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Congratulations! I've never heard of sashes or rankings in WC. Or sparring at that.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Congrats on the new rank...:headbangin:

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
First off, congratulations

When you say full contact sparring are you using wing chun techniques?

Could you elaborate? 'Full contact sparring' using wing chun techniques would be pretty dangerous. Are you padding/gloving up?